Is there a decent comprehensive list somewhere?

Gonna sound like a noob even though I been smoking 27 years, but here goes!

When I grew at home in the 90s, it was strictly bag seed, not even kind buds but brown frown. Ya dealt with it and didn’t care for a name other than “Triple S” bud (seed, stems and shake).

In like 2006, a friend sent me some Grandaddy Purple buds from a dispensary in CA, and I fell in love with the smoke. The taste, the high, everything was WAY better than any East Coast crap I’d ever gotten. I then went on to try Sour Diesel, Northern Lights #5, White Widow and Jack Herrer. WOW, we never got nugs like that here…

When I got back into growing 10 years ago, seeds were still hard to come by, but you occasionally got a seed or two in a bag of KB, although it was just “Kind bud”, never named. But it was way better than the brown frown I grew in the 90s. But I was still not able to procure either KNOWN seeds, or known clones, and dealt with whatever random stuff I came across.

Well, Times they-are-a-changin! Internet purchases of seeds is as easy as 1-2-3 now, forums like this are spreading seeds like wildfire, and with so many states legalizing it, it’s hard to miss these days…

With that being said, when I pick up from my guy (still haven’t harvested since I got back into the swing of things here), the stuff he has is high-mids (nowhere near the GDP’s that came from CA), but the names on hem just crack me up. And there’s always some new name (I attribute it to trying to push more product), for what appears to be the very same bud as my last pickup. So… I am on a quest… For real names, perhaps history of the genetics, crosses, etc.

SO. (yes I am long-winded), does anybody know of a comprehensive list (as comprehensive as we can get, there’s literally hundreds of thousands of potential crosses), that might include more info on crosses or what the heck went into the seeds? Like an ancestry.com for seeds if you will?

I’d love to find a GDP like what I had in 2006, ordered some from ILGM, and we’ll see on them. One little lady will be planted today actually :slight_smile: And is there anybody actually preserving some of the classics and making them available? Is the NL#5, WW and SD seeds I see for sale just “kinda” them, but maybe a little off? Or are they the real deal? (for example, I think ILGM.com might be the real deal, seedsman.com has a good rep for being the real deal, and I learned the hard way that pacific seed bank just sends what they want so you have no clue) Would love to play with breeding some “classics” with some newer strains that have been developed, I just wanna be the mad scientist, but I wanna know what I am working with. Ya feel me?

So… Ancestry.com for cannabis?

Bueller?

Bueller?

1 Like

Seedfinder

4 Likes
9 Likes

I can’t believe I’m doing this. The day started off weird, and it’s getting weirder.

You can check out the Phylos Galaxy. That’s probably the closest thing to what you’re talking about.

It was limitations, not the least of which is a propensity by the guy running it to be less than forthright about his intentions, but it’s supposed to be constructed from the results of the genetic analysis that Phylos has done on samples that people sent them.

Good luck.
:guitar:

4 Likes

…brought to you with the help of Monsanto ®™

5 Likes

EXACTLY what I was looking for. Now you’ve given me another rabbit hole to explore LOL Thanks!!!

1 Like

Yeah I’ve heard dude is trying to patent genomes through his work. I wouldn’t submit anything IMO, there are flaws to the methodology used

3 Likes

Not everything is accurate on seedfinder but i find most of it to be.

3 Likes

No worries, more for researching / reading really. gives me the basic backgrounds which is what I was looking for.

Thanks for the heads up though!

1 Like

I’m probably gonna get spider mites for posting that.

2 Likes

I find that the more current strains (dispensary) may not be listed in seedfinder. Often I can search Leafly and find at least a breeder or a description of affects to chase down if not parent strains.

Take as an example Lilac Diesel an Ethos strain. Kind of hard to come by but under the radar. Good stuff and not your usual taste profile either.

1 Like

My mission when I got back to smoking after many years off was to try and find out what strain Kind Bud really was. The best I’ve found is that it was a generic term applied to the dankest shit that came around with some frequency and it could be a different strain from another area’s Kind Bud. With that being said I believe what my area was getting was OG Kush from what I’ve read and just from smoking it again. It seems that even though different areas had different strains going by the name OG Kush was Kind Bud to a decent amount of areas as well.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much as Phylos is shutting up shop thankfully.
So with that said, your karma should remain neutral.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Kind is just what we called any quality sensi buds. Variety had nothing to do with it. Sure, your guy may have had one supplier that grew one specific cut, so his buds were all you knew as kind, but that was just what we called fire, dank, top shelf, etc.

2 Likes

Agreed but for some areas there was a predominant strain of high quality sensi buds that came around frequently and was what people equate with the term.

1 Like

This is a big can of worms.

Even the term skunk is loaded.

Make a list of what you want and find strains that tick the boxes.

Skunky, hashy, couchlock, berry etc.

That said my attempts to replicate high school weed were pretty successful.

3 Likes

en.seedfinder.eu (sorry @Grohio , i just ski[[ed ahead)

& this place… :sunglasses:

:thinking: Crazy. seedfinder had like 7 or 8k names about 5 years ago & now it’s up to 21k+ :sweat_smile:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like