Root aphids in ebb and flow system

What is an

???

I needed those other ?? to get to 20…

1 Like

Integrated pest management

3 Likes

best options obviously all aren’t possible with each other but it depends on if u can just cut everything

Also your obvi going to have to apply solutions from top of buckets and also in Rez/circulating system

~get roots/area as cool as possible to slow down life cycles
~OGBIOWAR foliar pack
~other bacillus Thur. Type products (there’s a granular mix for soil (NA) and another called met 52 And also botaniguard es. idk something like that Could be wrong it’s been about 6-7 years since I had this issue

Also when you use things that are poisonous to them they will flee into the plants, put something gooey and sticky on the stem to avoid that.

also Ice cubes on the top of your buckets in the pebbles will slow their escape…

just trap them and fuck em up

But really my advice is to just get all plants out, dip cuts you take and wash thouroghly and then dip them in something nuclear like avid (organic people will hate me whatever some things u have to go nuclear for.)

And then fucking BLEACH/PHYSAN20/OTHER NASTY ASS STERILIZING SHIT all of your material and rooms…

even then there’s no guarantee

But that’s your best bet

and from then on it’s IPM

3 Likes

I can get a good nicotine extract if that solves my problem. It will be hard to flood the entire medium with it but I can get enough to flush it all with a good nicotine extract. I would have to direct the drain hole to a container that holds the nicotine solution and just flush flush flush. The only thing that I am worried about is going through all of that then observing to see the aphids laughing at me. I flooded with hard h2o2 and it formed bubbles on top. I observed to see them aphids using those bubbles as surface to walk on. Do you think that nicotine applied daily for a week would eliminate the problem? How badly would it affect the plants? I don’t think that they would absorb any toxins into the buds from the nicotine would they?

You would probably see better results using it once a week for three weeks or so. Just in case one of the life stages gets through the treatment. A nicotine extract alone shouldn’t cause any issues except on the bugs. As long as you are not using a commercial nicotine based treatment like imidacloprid (merit 75) they are systemic and stay in the plant for way longer than a veg and flower cycle.

1 Like

I get the hint from what you are saying that it is quite effective. Would it be possible to use regular cigarettes, just fags out of a box, to make the solution?

That is probably the best way to go as far as I have read. Grab a bag of loose tobacco like the roll your own kind its much cheaper. I’ve read boiling it and steeping it in warm water. My only fear using nicotine is tobacco mosaic virus you gotta make sure that has been killed off. If you do a google search a lot of info comes up someone may have a step by step on the extraction process.

1 Like

I’ve known guys who will fight these things for years and never win. Do yourself a favor, kill everything and start over in a new area. Need some genetics to bounce back, hit me up.

Keeping it real some of the advice in this thread could qualify for the thread about worst advice ever given.
SMH

4 Likes

Here is an article that takes a long time to arrive at a similar conclusion.

https://waytogrow.net/blogs/articles/root-aphids-no-they-re-not-just-fungus-gnats

Good luck my friend.

99%

2 Likes

If you end up trying nicotine make sure you research it before making it. Nicotine is extremely toxic. Like i said in my first post I battled them for months before cutting my losses, cleaning, waiting a few weeks and starting over from scratch.

1 Like

They will not be fumigated so there will be no exposure to the solution. When you say “cut your losses” did this nicotine ever achieve total eradication of this pest?

I hope that I will find a way to win because it is close to impossible for me to toss everything away. Could you hint me which advice you think is really bad?

dude I fought them and won

who here has beat them?

me!

but yes like I said 2 times in my post best bet is to just kill everything and take new clips if u have to and wash dunk wash funk wash funk nuclear wash dunk

1 Like

That’s like the most time I’ve spent writing a post in years glad it went on deaf ears smh

Good luck

Hey man no it did not go unchecked. Just that, I am in synthetic hydroponic and not in organic and OG biowar is organic microbes and the soil bacillus doesn’t work as well because it is for soil. I would be left with freezing the rootzone and that is not something I would not want to do as it will at best slow them down and slow down the plants with them. I am trying to fight them in a hydroponic medium.

1 Like

Nicotine doesn’t have to be fumigated to be toxic. Concentrated it is highly toxic. I bought a pesticide that contained imidacloprid, I never used it after reading how long it stays in plants. One of the main bee killers out there. I had the choice of contaminating my plants for god knows how long or killing it all off and starting fresh. I never used it, I have read about others that have had success with it. It has been used as an insecticide for quite some time.

Those bacteria work in all systems

even OG biowar

cap himself designed that line while doing RDWC I believe

and same with the botaniguard

you just can’t run h202 etc

But your either going to have to kill everything or change your shit up.

These bugs are hell dude

2 Likes

Also I can’t stress enough to put something sticky on the stems so they get caught trying to flee into the canopy

4 Likes

I found some good way that works great for ebb and flow! In an extended study done by dipping plant roots in water of temperature 125F for 0, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 minutes revealed that all phyloxera AKA aphids died with a 5 minute dip. The effect on plants varied according to species but was always minimal even with orchids as I read on this in another source. This is great for me to try with some sticky stuff on the stems. All I would need is a water heater that is big enough to maintain this temperature and a hot water source to my res that is easy to manage. http://horticulture.oregonstate.edu/system/files/u178/22_Stonerod_Strik_hot_water_phylloxera_HT_6%2C381-387_1996.pdf

2 Likes

Shit I wish I would have known yesterday. I killed a lot of large plants that I could have tried that on.

1 Like