Pest Advice (Thrips? Aphids? Gnats?)

So I could definitely use some advice/ bounce around ideas here.

To be completely honest I care about none of my keepers, expect one that’d I’d die for!

…But basically I’m pretty certain they’re Thrips. Small beige bugs under leaves, and occasional flying buggers! (I also was dealing with gnats, but those are easy to identify/treat.) Pretty certain (like 90% sure) they came from a bad bag of Pro-Mix.

I treated (rotating between treatments of); Iso Alcohol+Drop of Soap+Lavander Oil, Insecticidal Soap + Neem Oil, H2O2. I then took cuts of what I wanted and continued to spray them. (I removed all other plants/soil from my garden).

It’s been nearly 2 weeks since I took cuts and I’m still seeing these buggers flying around every once in a while (near my clones.) The entire cut was also dunked and left inside insecticidal soap before being placed into it’s medium. And at this point some of the cuts are not looking the greatest either.

Is it time to cut my losses, or is there potentially some hope left?

Pictures;

1 Like

I use this, knocked out thrips in no time. Just look for something with spinosad, it kills the bugs that eat the leaves, can be used right up till flowers show.

Once in bloom… much harder to control, keep it up with the neem and soap, but that is just physically killing what comes in contact when wet. If your buds survive to harvest, I’d almost recommend water curing so the bugs don’t destroy the bud matter before it dries. That’s what I did with spider mites at least.

7 Likes

Thanks mate. I’ll definitely go scoop that. At this point I’ll do anything to save that one Pheno.

Nothing flowering. Everything is cleaned up and finished. Just trying to save these cuts! :pray:

3 Likes

fuck-a-thrips

5 Likes

Ive not heard of this, “water curing” you speak of, before ?

If you want something that will rid you of all your pests at once so a search on Amazon or ebay for floromite. I got an ounce of it and an ounce of forbid for like $45. You only use like 2 ml in a gallon so it lasts a long long time. Had my one ounce bottles a year and only had to use then once. Your a long way till you flower so those two won’t be in the plant anymore 14 days ago you’re good. Never spray that shit on stuff that’s within 2 weeks of being flowered and wear pants and long sleeves with a respirator. Pick one of the two and spray clones and rest of the entire space, then 7 days later so the same with the other. You’ll be pest free guaranteed

2 Likes

It does leave your bud very light and loses some flavor, but it’ll be the smoothest smoke you’ll prob ever have. After you harvest, you wet trim, down to the bud. Then you submerge the whole thing in room temp/tepid water. Change the water every day until it stays clear for two days, then allow to air dry, relatively quickly. Removes water soluble compounds that can cause people to cough, and prevents the grassy taste from drying too fast.

3 Likes

Floromite works well yes but it’s maybe a little hard for thrips…

Like it was said before, spinosad is allowed in organic grow. And it works well with thrips.

What do you have to know to fight against thrips :

• Adults aren’t all over your plant but only in the down parts.
  • Eggs and larvae (? Excuse my English not sure of that one) are only in your soil.
  • You have to treat both sides, with 2 differents products. Neem, oil and pyrethrin well work for adults and spinosad (powder) well work on your soil.
3 Likes

They’re cuttings in a tray of rock wool now. I will most likely just move to rock wool and perlite for the next little bit. (just have to water more often.)

I ordered the Monterey. I don’t plant on flowering these… just going to grow them for a few months and take more cuts. Then cut them down most likely. (I guess those cuts would be flowered eventually… but a long veg time will occur.)

1 Like

Why use something that you will have to apply several times when you can just drop a juke and get rid of it all right then done

There’s people that prefer not to apply chemicals to their plants, we should all be respectful with what they think … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

George is right but not only.

Like we said, Spinosad, oil, Neem are allowed in organic grows.
Pyrethrin and Bifenazate (floromite) are very very chemical molecule. And so, very dangerous molecule. When you use it, it’s pretty sure you smoke it too.

I use all this chemical molecule when it’s infested. When you can do another way, I do.

And the second reason is Floromite is killing spiders. Dont’ sure that’s the best thing to apply.
If you want try DECIS J from Bayer or look at Deltametrin molecule.
:wink:

And for information, even with the chemical molecule, you have to use it often several times!

3 Likes

If you don’t spray the plants within 2 weeks of starting flowering it will not be in the plant. Stop guessing and spreading it as truth when you don’t know

Floramite is a miticide. It does not kill insects.

FLORAMITE SC is a selective miticide for the control of a variety of mite pests on the following plants:• All ornamental plants, including bedding plants, flowering plants, foliage plants, ornamental bulb crops, perennials, trees and shrubs.• All non-bearing fruit trees which will not bear fruit for a mini-mum of 12 months.• Greenhouse tomatoes. Do not apply this product to tomatoes that are not grown in greenhouses.

@DannyTerpintine, the first picture you posted is a mosquito.

4 Likes

hahaha okay well that’s good to know! I kept tripping like is this a freaking mosquito or a gnat or a winged-thrip. Part of me was like mosquito but I keep seeing shit flying around my clones. So I was like ehh possibly a thrip or gnat.

(I still see stuff flying around the clones so I’m still going to go ahead with some precautionary Monterey just to be sure.)

1 Like

You can use blue and yellow sticky traps, they work great and you can have an idea of the magnitude of the infestation … ejem|nullxnull

4 Likes

The sticky traps also keep the adult population down and interrupt their breeding cycle. Ive always had good luck with S.F nematodes in my soil beds.

2 Likes

Do you want really to talk about that?? Are you a man who believe that a chemical molecule who has a semi-life of 350 days will not be in your weed you smoke 100 days after??

Look at the studies about the subject before to tell me I don’t know the subject. I dont’ speak when I don’t know bro’

1 Like

Lab tests show it is gone from plant material after 14 days or at least that’s what was published on the sellers site. Looked legit but as always could have been fake

1 Like

It is reasonable to doubt about what is published on the net, here it says its effects last for 28 days, if it kills by contact it should still be there after all those days … :sweat:

2 Likes