Sage Brush FPJ

Anyone ever use sage brush to make FPJ? How about prickly pear pads?

3 Likes

I’ve used prickly pear fruit as an FFJ, worked pretty good IME.

2 Likes

Well this Arizona boy thanks you for that input! It’s (prickly pear) basically a weed out here!

2 Likes

That’s good to hear. I definitely plan to make some from the fruits once they’re in season. I’m starting to wonder if sage brush grows to slow to be a good fpj

1 Like

anybody have any thoughts on using passionfruit, either the freshly growing vines or the fruits in an fpj or ffj? my mother has a whole twenty foot trellis of it that grows extremely vigorously.

i’m pretty dang new to knf so i’m definitely learning as i go.

If you are handy with a pair of chopsticks, I find that the easiest way to gather the ones that drop without getting pricked.

1 Like

Yucca is also useful and pretty plentiful around you I’m sure. :wink:

Not to mention delicious pan fried with some honey on top!

2 Likes

I suppose there could be a yucca or two in my neck of the, um…woods. Are the leaves useful to? I’ve been seeing a lot about using the roots.

1 Like

Yeah the leaves are high in saponins too, but mostly the root.

5 Likes

We got a lot of cacti in my neck of the woods will have to give this a try never though about that👊

1 Like

Gonna have to try the yucca soon. They get a little bigger up here.
Did processing the root turn out to be as easy as you thought? I’m gonna have to take a walk and find one that I can uproot without too much trouble.

What ended up working best was peeling the root, then grating it up with a microplane. I let that dry out and sifted it through a 120 micron sieve. That powder is what I would add to my irrigation water.

2 Likes