Seed vs clones in ground outdoor

besides sexing im wondering if theres any reasons to go with one over the other kinda like pros vs cons, im thinking bout planing and was wondering if starting a seed in the soil at the correct timing would not be better then pre-growing it indoors for a jump start from clones, i might just be over thinking this a bit also , either way lemme know

4 Likes

Birds will eat your seeds. I’d start them indoors. They are sensitive when they are babies.

5 Likes

yeah this spring when i sowed my cover crop mix i had to scare off the birds , but still found 3cannabis sprouts from previous season that sprouted and was growing i took em out and gave them to s friend for hid grown i didnt want to risk polinating my crop a second year, and sexing mid grow is something im not too good enought to gamble on it so i went the safe route last year

2 Likes

if you dostart seeds outside, you can go earlier by making a covered bed. it will also keep the birds out.

1 Like

I always start seeds inside. They should show sex by the time they have 5 sets of leaves (about 1 month) then set them outside. Now having said that, I used to grow hundreds of plants outside. Direct seeding gives bad results unless you are dropping thuosands of seeds. A better way is to put soil in egg cartons and sow your seeds there. When they get big enough to fend for themselves you can pull off the bottom leaves up to the top set. Wait several days for the wounds to heal over and then plant the seedling deep. clear up to the top set of leaves. Pull the egg carton apart and plant the individual cells without removing the seedling. That will prevent transplant shock. You will have to go back later and pull males. We were very good at what we did but we always had some seeds in the buds. After 43 years this is the best way I have found to grow hundreds of plants. PS. Never show your plants to anybody. :grin:

11 Likes

i was thinking about doing an experiment some day to see what would be my final plante size would be at different sowing date, here to sow in ground outside is almost impossible in april may, mid june is when i usualy plan my transplanting of clones that have been grown to 3-5 gal pot before puting in ground, but i am curious to see what kind of grow starting from seed would end me up with

2 Likes

You can get your plants lab tested for sex now at any age for like 10$ through the mail.

Starting a photo indoors will hands down let you determine how big of a plant want outside.
Where as a plant startred at the right time will grow into a normal size plant.

In this thread i re veg mother outside next to seedlings
Not exactly the same as your question but maybe it will give you some idea.

4 Likes

@Mithridate summed it up perfectly :arrow_up::arrow_up:

3 Likes

ima keep doing thing like i used to then was just curious if id gain from doing otherwise but it seems like my lil experiment can hold of a while for now

1 Like

Sounds like your location Would make a good case for Planting a batch of Auto seedlings @amumayuk.

I’ve still not tried-it either, outdoors; but when time is critical… its an option

2 Likes

Do you have clones that preform well in your outdoor energy?

1 Like

This works well in NE. I have friends starting tk do exactly this and they avoid all the bud rot in the fall. I think I’m going to start a few to test.

1 Like

I even joked last Summer about an Auto-circle mid-June. Just makes too much sense…
Morning and Thanks @JustANobody

1 Like

I’ve heard of people trying to squeeze out 2 runs between memorial day and Oct.

1 Like

Autos are great. You just have a window to plant in. After you sprout them, in the ground once you see a tap root. It’s also better if the soil is the same
I’d think an auto followed by photo or fast photo would give you a bigger yield @JustANobody

4 Likes

What’s the window? I ran autos 1 time when I first started growing a couple of years ago. They did terrible and never ran autos again. I am very interested in them for outdoors here.

2 Likes

Its gotta be Southern states doing that… “Memorial to Oct…”

1 Like

I know they are for sure doing it there but this was definitely in New England.

2 Likes

i have fem freezelands seeds last year i popped one but cloner issues prevented me from having more then one but i managed to have 4 girls ready to be planted in time

im having big hope for fighting bilbo this year a lil gift from @MissinBissin from what i know this should perform great in my beds im just curious as to how they will turn out lineage looks delicious but i learned few seasons ago not to get too exited about lineage it doesnt always give me the results i expect , but im still having high hopes seeds should get started very very soon

2 Likes

NY here for auto followed by photo.
Start autos in plugs as normal. Once the tap root comes out of the bottom of the plug it needs to go in the ground. You have about a week for optimal health/growth

5 Likes