Sexing plants for outdoor

yes.

probably not. if one gets too bitchy just cull it

2 Likes

They may show in 6 weeks indoors, but this patch of males was 10 weeks old and 6 ft tall before they started to show sex outdoors.

12 Likes

so my situation is I can only technically grow 5 at a time. But I can keep things out of view and Im not worried about the amount of plants until they begin to smell then people obviously know they are there. I was hoping to limit the amount of plants i had out at one time but seems i may have to just set them all out and hope for the best.

I have 20 gallon fabric pots that I planned on putting them in. Maybe one in my raised bed with my veggies. Last year they were in 10 gal fabric pots and ended up about half the size of the one in the raised bed, but i suspect that was due to cheap potting soil i put them in compared to the living soil in the raised bed. Im in zone 5b elevation is around 700ft.

ya know your absolutely right. Im getting too worried about it. K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid! Im just unsure of what my windows of operation are here since ive never grown anything that I had to worry about the sex of the plants. Things in my personal life have kept me busy and stressed and im just now trying to sort things out now that things are starting to resemble normal again. In the end it is what it is, Ill end up with some great bud.

I think this is the way. Ill grab some cheap nursery pots that i can keep them in. Then transfer to the final container once i know what they are. Ive had good luck cutting those at the bottom and down the sides to up pot plants. These might be a bit more difficult due to size though.

3 Likes

I do have some fem seeds i plan on planting too. I have some white widow and honey cream from royal queen seeds

I like this idea. Im for sure going to try this out. thank you for the idea!

1 Like

Not that its super important. I just have a limit on what i can grow. Moneys been tight so the test is out of the question this time around.

I always like to get a jump start on my growing season. at least as far as my veggie garden goes. Last year I planted clones the beginning of june and that seemed pretty optimal for my area. my largest plant was probably around 5 feet tall and produced somewhere around 220 grams not including what i saved for hash.

2 Likes

They will need to be mature but then you can flip them to flower for 3 days, and then back to veg and within a week the males should show themselves.

Here’s a good read that might interest ya

More specifically, this little tid bit:

I hope this can be of some help!
:wink:

3 Likes

That’s great info! Thank you, I have a Frankenstein cross and a sour blue tooth that should be large enough to flip to 12/12 for a bit. I don’t have a tent at the moment but I have a dark room.

1 Like

Sometimes… Males will form a flower at very top, and it’s got a really textured look that females don’t have. (And no pistils.) I just saw this on four week old plants, but I’m still waiting another strain the same age to sex. I don’t think all strains do that, but I’ve seen it a bit.

It probably won’t help, but hopefully you’ll get lucky. :+1:

1 Like

Not in the long run. Once you consider what you put in to raising those males, time and expense.
Once I get the first true leaves, I cut of a cotyle and mail it in.
I get results in 1-3 days after they receive them.

:green_heart: :seedling:

3 Likes

Lots of good ideas and options. You have choices. I wouldn’t stress on your timing. I’m way behind, but not going to stress. For my yard plants, I don’t worry much about stressing from transplanting. I’ve transplanted from 7s to 15-30 gallon fabric pots.
My weather isn’t what I like. I’ve decided it’s going to be a stellar year for late starting and finishing. I’m starting a job of autos 2nd week in July.

1 Like

Cool info from ethos @BeardedMech

1 Like

You could take a cutting and make a clone and toss the clone under 12/12 and it will flower before your mother plant.

3 Likes

Thank you all for all the responses and great info! I took the two biggest ones which are few weeks old. Ones probably a about a month. I have to check when I planted lol. Life’s been hectic so I haven’t been book keeping much but it’s all on my grow diary for reference. Anyways they’ve been going 12/12 for the last 4 days. I don’t have a tent so they’re on a 24hr light cycle with all my veggies starts in my basement. No dark room at the moment. I’m away for the weekend so hopefully I’ll see some pre flowers on those two soon.

The other ones are only on the second or third set of true leaves so a week or two out for flipping. If the first two plants work out I’ll try this method out on the seedlings

3 Likes

I agree but not in my current situation. My wife was in the hospital for a few weeks and out of work for months. I’ve sunk my extra cash into supplies to try and sell veggie plants and flowers locally( we have a lot of gardeners and older people in my community). I can’t afford to sink any more cash into this hobby at the moment.

That’s why I’m being precocious in my planning. My stash will run out before my first auto harvest likely, so stocking up on smoke is critical. Wife doesn’t really want me to grow indoors so I need to stockpile for the winter. But I’m slowly persuading her.

4 Likes

Hey bud, im curious about that with the clone, what makes you say that?
Ime they won’t go into flower until they’re mature enough?

I’d expect a clone to be the same age/period and wouldn’t flower until its old enough, from then on in would be good but before its old enough?

Cheers

3 Likes

I’ve done this a few times and the clone will flower no matter what at 12/12 or at least show sex. Heck you can just toss a clone in a dark room for 4 days and sex will show in a panic. There’s ways around waiting. Just a lot of work.

1 Like

Cheers bud, yeah absolutely I agree with you but from plants how old, after you get past 4/5 weeks yeah that’s what I’d expect but before that I don’t think it would?

1 Like