Show Your Light Leaks

Yes, I remember that ‘‘No snow on roof’’ way of coppers busting people- I’d easily be able to spot houses in our town that were possible grow places {1996 era}-

A relative bought an old house last year that had had an old historic grow probably from that era in the loft- also in the old stables at end of garden - Relative turned the stables into a workshop- and re~used the insulation from the old grow space.
When he went to view the house, he was unable to look in the stables, windows were covered over with trellis and heavy padlocks on the door.
When he moved in, chains and ducting made it obvious what had once been there.

1 Like

Hey Oakapple, nice to meet you.
I think my grow for the past 23 years, and all the different ways I chose to grow, has kept me far more healthy, then the guys I retired with do, as just went and joined LazyBoy University.
I just need things to do, and my desire to see and try new things, helps keep me upright and moving forward with SOMETHING!
My Panda walled grow area, is now in my first full year, and I love it more so everyday. Best $50.00 for a roll of panda film, I ever spent.
I’ll NEVER knock tents, never!
This however for this time in my life is so enjoyable working in it now.

3 Likes

Hi Webeblzr, I was so lucky that my adult son came and helped today to black out the room window- He said ‘‘You’d never have managed on your own’’ {high stepladder and reams of light proof plastic}

We doubled the plastic- it was like trying to manage ‘‘King size’’ bedsheets, wrangling them behind a stepladder.
I was Tent~less for years in that room, and in summer it was much better, as the heat dissipated rather than being trapped in a tent.
Even with a Rhino filter sucking air out, the tent got too hot in summer.
Winter, tents come into their own.
Electric bills are savage here- they have more than doubled in the last 18 months.

you are right in that having an interest definitely is good for one- except my hermie issue- I have been seriously stressing about them-

I even bought some ‘‘Optic Foliar Switch’’ to use as a prophylactic against Herming, {day 10 and Day 17} but some still Hermed through that {don’t like using sprays anyway}.

Maybe it was the light leak…

Have you ever suffered hermies with the ‘Newer’ genetics?

Best wishes :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey @Oakapple, Oh yeah, herm’s are part of my world at times. I’m sort of a seeker of the odd strains.And, I usually seek cheaper offerings. I will pay up, if I run into stuff I do not know about, after some research.
So for me, part of the hunt. And, remember, herm’s can still offer you a lot of decent edibles to process.
Just keep wading through until you find a girl, and clone her, now you got steady smoke and edibles.
Step by step, just like Elmer Fud hunting Wabbits!!
Sounds like a good son!! Good on him!!
My Ma raised me as best she could. Her hard lessons really saved my life.
For Panda handling, I made myself a little panda film dispenser, with a cutting board, when I hung that 50 feet or Panda, but no help, just me, step ladder, and my old stapler. The folded side is always 10’ wide on a roll. So, I simply measured to have extra for the top and floor.

I did however spend 4-6 weeks sanding/scrapping/patching/repainting all the walls, in that area also. Was brutal hard work for my old body LOL!
All the best to you!!

5 Likes

Thanks so much, Webeblzr.
I’m having a real crisis of confidence worrying about hermies.
With power bills rocketing where we live I need to grow more efficiently.
I’m ashamed to say I didn’t move with the times, stuck with 1990’s methods- never defoliated, and let plants ‘‘Do their thing’’…Very inefficient use of space. HPS.

I definitely need to move with the times and not be so set in my ways.

A classic ‘untamed’

plant -{This is a screenshot, as easier to find to upload…}

5 Likes

That sounds like a mammoth task for one person…I like the ‘‘Hunting wabbits’’ analogy…was so stressed by the light leak and hermies that I took dog out to look for a few Wabbits {She didn’t catch any, they are wily and don’t stray far from their warren by day}

I decided to cull the light leak herms and start over.

2 Likes

Beautiful dog!!
We are the family’s dog sitters, for their vacations, or events.
We love having them around us.
While most of the owners, have issues with them at home, we do not have any of that same behavior issues here in our home.
I’ve never yelled at them, or hit them for anything. getting angry, is being a loser, with dogs, that shuts down their mind.
I have learned to use my chi or energy, for them to be more comfortable around us.
They know exactly what I want, mostly without spewing out words, and I never use their name.
I really love being around them. I spent a couple years walking dogs at our local SPCA.
Remaining calm, while walking with a dog caged up for 22 hours a day, is something many of us bipeds should do to learn to teach ourselves, the calm of finding chi if you feel it, so do they!

Oh well, back to Trim Jail, 2 more Hawaiian Bud’s to process. 1 is now hanging!! And a Frosted Cheeks S1!!
Then up potting, got to keep the wheel turning!! (perpetual harvest cycle) Then cloning!
All the best to ya!!
webe

1 Like

You are so right about ‘Energy’ and dogs…
Agree, no need to shout or hit any animal- We had a wonderful dog from RSPCA shelter- my first ever dog, a Lurcher, back in the 1990’s
So sensitive and gentle~She used to browse weed, eating specific parts, never the bud, but the small to medium leaves, but her face would be fragrant, and the leaves ragged, so I knew what she’d been up to!
She’d regurgitate the leaves sometimes, usually in the living room, and I’d occasionally step in the slippery pile of leafage in my bare feet.
Dogs definitely are very good ‘Mind and body’ readers.

It’s a lovely thing to have done, Exercising the SPCA dogs.
Sometimes we walk past the dogs home , and my dog is always unnerved by the sounds of the dogs behind the high walls~ the sad baying, the falling cadence of the woofs~ nearly all Bull breeds.
It’s far worse since the pandemic, tons of dogs were bought on whim in the ‘Lockdowns’ we had here, and now the dogs are being dumped or given up as the owners return to working in an office again~ No commitment to the dogs at all.

Dog in pic above has a fetish for those soaked expanding peat discs once there is a seedling in them~ She will grab them if I leave them within reach~learned the hard way.
I didn’t tell her off, my fault for leaving them in reach.
Ditto when potting on~ I left a plant in her reach and she snipped it through with naughty little puppy teeth. She doesn’t actually eat weed leaves like the old Lurcher did.

But plants are built for this~They can handle it, They are evolved for animal predation.
All a snip does by their teeth is to break the ‘apical dominance’.

Enjoy ‘‘Trim~Jail!’’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some fatties.

1 Like

Call me crazy, but if you’re checking for light leaks, shouldn’t @Foreigner be sitting in the cabinet with the light on in the room, and the lights out in the cabinet?

I’d pay his wife for a picture of that.

2 Likes

It’s where I go to sit on the ground and hold my knees and shake uncontrollably.

3 Likes

When we bought our first tent, I had my wife zip me up in it and turn all the lights on in the room to get a feel for the light leaks. When I was done, she unzipped the tent and said “Do you have any idea how ridiculous you look sitting in the dark in the middle of this tent?” All I could come back with was “No Granddaddy Purple for you.”

5 Likes

Good idea~.I get massively claustrophobic- contemplated getting my son {adult} to zip me into it, recently to test for leaks, but there would be no way out if he decided to wind me up and go out, leaving me stuck fast scrabbling at the silver walls in darkness .
I’m sure he wouldn’t, but have a fear of being trapped -heck, even camping, I have to leave the bivvy open.

Sitting in the actual room to check for light leaks wasn’t as bad- but still need to put light buffers around the door frame. {pinned sheets of lightproof plastic}

1 Like

Is that heat glowing out of that roof?
when indoor weed growing began in Northern Europe, attics and roofspaces were used a lot - and police genuinely did bust people for no snow on the roof and thermal imaging cameras.{People didn’t seem aware of the risks in those far off days}

There was a determined guy in Europe who used to excavate under houses early 2000’s to make insane grow rooms- probably for this heat detecting reason. Mapito user, flood and drain.

Very hard working bloke. {Probably known on here by some people}

1 Like

Probably some light leaking in the tent from the window and portable ac duct. I’ll staple the curtain tonight, but I’m not worried about the duct. Maybe toss a blanket over it or something if it bothers me.

1 Like

My AC infinity windows and vents were fine, but here is what I did with the flexible intake tubing:

Not sophisticated, but the light disperses before it makes it into the tent. I have a loop in the tubing on the top of the tent before I drop it over the other side.

1 Like

It was the old way cops say they could see you from the air. It was a joke. I copied it.

2 Likes

The room that my tent is in downstairs is completely dark I do have my veg chamber in there with its pin holes and here I was worried about those tiny pin holes. Has anybody experienced problems like that? I’m thinking about putting some of that Panda plastic around it or something for whatever reason it worries me