Silvery fuzz on the surface of my babies coco

I have this silvery, fuzzy, something has been apparently growing on the surface of the coco. It is recent development. It actually started on cuttings in start mode. Clean coco plugs and rockwool started getting this on it and all the feed they got was pH water. Then it continued after initial potting. I’ve just been sweeping off a top layer of coco containing it into the garbage, but it comes back.

Here are some pics of it. My camera wouldn’t get close enough for a naked eye look and my handheld digital scope only gets a 20x magnification. So, to see what it looks like looking down at the soil, you’ll need to zoom out.

To me, in these closeups, it looks like webbing. Is there a varmint that belongs to this stuff? Is it a mold? It doesn’t seem to be effecting the growth of the plants, but I don’t like it!

This is the first time I’ve ever seen this so I am lost, but there are so many of us here, I am sure someone has seen it before. If anyone can identify this, it would be very helpful.

Thank you!
C50

Edit: Some pics looked too much like another to waste disk space posting them, so I removed them.

1 Like

You have mold taking over.

What is the humidity like in your grow?

1 Like

PS Manual Like Override Captain

3 Likes

About 50-60% since winter ended

Hmmmmmold. (or technically, it looks like some sort of a fungus)

:mushroom:

2 Likes

Interesting @99PerCent, I don’t remember seeing it in my grows before. I have seen mold elsewhere before and it was always green.

Not much I can do to lower the humidity except feed the plants just from the bottom. Probably explains why I only noticed it with the babies. Once I see roots out the bottom, I bottom feed to prevent my grow being to tasty to fungus gnats.

What I don’t get is when I saw it on the 1st to cocoplugs to display it, it took only 2 days. I put a rockwool and a cocoplug in the clone box with nothing in them and they got it too. Do I need to scrub down my clone box with bleach?

Maybe try these guys.

Or ask @ReikoX

He knows every thing cannabis. Soon, he will run out of time answering all the questions and have to open a consultancy business.

7 Likes

Oh shit! A fungus?!?!?! That’ll make them MORE appetizing to the gnats!! :scream:

Wouldn’t surprise me if a short blast from a hair dryer wouldn’t damage them pretty good.

1 Like

I assume you mean the mold, @99PerCent. :wink: The other day I spritzed some iso on the stuff in one plant and it went away from that spot and didn’t come back.

Thanks for the link and the advice. I imagine @ReikoX will be stopping by when he has time now :smile:

The article says ground cinnamon is a natural combatant for mold and fungi. Gotta love an organic fix.

I thought coco was supposed to be less troublesome than soil in this regard. Oh well, deal and move on, right?

Generally that is mycelium growing on the surface. It’s usually a sign if a healthy soil mix IMO. As long as it is white and not growing on the plants, it should be beneficial to the plant. Maybe a little extra LITFA. :+1::seedling:

14 Likes

@ReikoX, that is a relief! I’m leery of everything since those all but invisible flyin’ fuckers nearly wiped out my whole grow. There were too many lean harvest months that I don’t want to ever repeat. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

What about when it is growing on a cocoplug with a 2 day old cutting? Will the cut benefit as well? This is where I first noticed it.

Thanks for your help, brother.

BTW, that was quite the compliment @99PerCent paid you. :sunglasses:

:smile:

1 Like

If you are growing no-till the soil will use fungus and bacteria as tools to balance the ph. If your plant feeds fungus for its exudates (Biochemical analyses of the exudates showed that acid phosphatase, beta-glucosidase, acid and alkaline protease. RNase polygalacturonase and cellulase enzymes as well as oxalic acid and ammonia were present) and then you kill the fungus, you are hampering the plant. There are fungi that could be harmful but in my experience they help mostly. If you start with healthy soil you will have less chance of runaway fungus or bacteria taking over.

6 Likes

@ryasco I am using coco. I didn’t expect to find any of that. I did assume any fungus is going to attract gnats, though.

1 Like

Ha! Ha! Sorry i answered in a daze, i will try to pay more attention. :grin:

2 Likes

A pot grower in a daze?!? Say it ain’t so. LOL

2 Likes

I still try to build a mycorrhizal base in my Coco. Simply watering that in will rid it from your surface. and from experience (purely anecdotal) it will do more good than harm. That “webbing” acts as a secondary kind of root system (symbiosis)

I wouldn’t stress too much over that

4 Likes

did you a bunch of mycorrhiza to your coco?

Not sure I understand the question bro? Or even if it was directed at me or the OP. Lol

I don’t add mycorrhizae as such no. But the few additives I use like sea kelp. Amino acids and malted barley stimulate mycorrhizal growth anyway. Used coffee grounds in veg do great for adding N and after 2 weeks or so you should have a right furry base haha

2 Likes

Ok, verdict is in. More LITFA. I can do that . LOL :smoking::dizzy_face:

I thank the jury for their service. :relaxed:

1 Like