Silvery fuzz on the surface of my babies coco

I’d suggest a root drench of a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution.

1 Like

I would suggest letting them dry out a little more than you have been doing to disrupt the nice environment you have made for fungus. Also, for next time, you could introduce mycorrhizal fungi which will form a symbiotic relationship with the roots of your plants. This might inhibit other fungus from growing and aid your plants as a bonus.

You can buy it in most good garden shops.

here is one product

As soon as I saw the words ‘silvery fuzz’ my brain said ‘mould’…

EDIT :

I see this has been covered in the thread. +1 from me for that then.

1 Like

Just send it to me and ill send you fresh coco :wink: lol In organics we love the white stuff! Gotta have all the other elements there to keep everything in balance though. If youre worried about gnats and dont have any beneficial mites/worms to worry about, a diluted peroxide solution will make quick work of gnats and knock back that fungi as well. A spritz of iso, even 70% will kill just about any spore on the surface of the pots as well but be careful not to hit the surface root zone or oversaturate. Ive rescued a few pf mushroom cakes from trichoderma with carefully applied iso haha personally, id just drop the humidity a bit and watch it. If the plants look healthy, no need to risk puttin anything in the soil

4 Likes

Thats cobweb not trich :peace:

1 Like

Yes, yes it is haha i was just stating that ive used iso to knock back a case of trich in the past. Its a pretty devastating blow to most mold/fungi :blush:

1 Like

I feel ya, just got hit with trich pretty bad so on a restart after cleaning up, pushed them to many flushes and it ended up getting it, its a pain to clean up, but like you said 70% iso is the trick, just screw your spray bottle top on and let loose.

4 Likes

@MicroDoser, thank you the link. The last image of the 5 on that page bears a strong resemblance to the fuzz on my coco. It also suggests LITFA.

@PrimalPractitioner. I’m keeping a sprayer handy. I can’t do much about the humidity except feed the plants less, which I started doing a few days ago. I have a product that kills gray mold that I sprayed on one of them today. I’m not as good at LITFA as I’d like. :wink: They are otherwise quite healthy.

I want to thank everyone that participated. My main concern was that I had pests. Mold I can deal with. Right now it is pests that are my kryptonite.

I agree with @ReikoX in that as long as it’s not on the plants it may very well be beneificy mycelium (a la Bokashi)

2 Likes

Well, I would have assumed that the “mold” would have gone away by keeping the plants dry. I put mold in quotes because I am not sure at the moment that it is mold.

2 clones are still in the clone box. They are the 2 that had the fuzzy crap all over the cocoplug that I had to keep removing. I have kept them so dry they have nearly no weight, yet one of them had it all around the stalk where it meets the cocoplug today. It also had this fuzz spread lightly on the surface of the bone dry coco! I’m apparently not a photog at heart, because the first thing I did was spritz the plant with ISO to kill it.

I noticed this strange bumpiness all over the bark that is NOT normal. Here is a shot of it.

It is completely surrounding the bottom 3/4" (19mm) of the stalk. Anybody recognize this condition? I’ve just about made up my mind to burn it.

Also, I sprayed every surface in my clone box with ISO as well since it seems the stuff originates in there.

i had similar growing in my coco + smartpots. it started in my lil 6 inch coco pots and blew up when i transplanted them. i used lots of mycos when i started and was watering with molasses every watering. it went away on its own after i stopped using molasses i think. the 2nd picture is 3 weeks after the first

1 Like

I think is beneficial like my soil is alive i water that pot with some tea with mollases and the next.day boom is down there

2 Likes

I would start to be concerned if it turns a different color other than white or develops a aroma you find repulsive. If it starts to yellow or tan maybe green or orangish in color…problem Houston. White molds and funguses are typically beneficial until they turn colors. It’s also web like in formation without polyps or lumps. Looks very symbiotic. The color change happens from other fungus or bacteria. They start to eat each other and discard “dead carcasses”.

3 Likes

@legalcanada, @GreenCaciqueHawaii, @Kalgrae:

Ok, between @GreenCaciqueHawaii’s pics and @Kalgrae’s description, it absolutely must be mold. Since this is the only plant that got this mold on BONE DRY coco, I thought it may actually be microscopic critters.

This still leaves the question about the hundreds of tiny bumps all over its trunk. I’ve seen this before in smaller quantities, but its trunk is completely enclosed in this condition for about 3/4" (19mm) above the surface of the cocoplug. Since this is the only plant that got this mold on BONE DRY coco, I thought it may be related. I am SOOOOO paranoid about insects right now since discovering last year that the plague on my for grows years was thrips. I worry these bumps are a sign of another insect that I previously didn’t know existed.

Maybe I am imagining monsters here. If that is the case, I’d rather they be imaginary than real, but if it is the beginning of another insect invasion force, I need to know what kind of insects I am dealing with.

I’ve been troubled over what could have brought the mold to my grows. I scrubbed my clone and veg grows areas with bleach water about 2 weeks ago. I also scrubbed the area around my RO unit with bleach water because I’ve over run my containers too often and just before my cleanup, I had over run a container again and while mopping it up, I noticed some slime there at the edges of were it normally puddles up. Since the cleanup, the mold in my coco has slowly gone away. It is currently gone.

Since then, when I over run, I mop it up and clean up with bleach water.

edit: typo

Mold spores are just floating around looking for the right place to settle down and raise a family. The main criteria are a damp environment and organic material to feed and multiply on. Inadequate ventilation and moisture laden air really help it flourish. If you don’t supply the basics it’ll float off somewhere else bro :thumbsup:

2 Likes

@Cobra50 Just FYI, I have also experienced this gray mold/fungus/whatever and A quick spray of 3% H2O2 pretty much immediately eradicates it. Follow up every few days to make sure it doesn’t re-establish. No idea if it is beneficial/harmful/irrelevant it doesn’t matter to me I don’t like the look of it so it has to go :smile:!

2 Likes

@KingGhidora, my sentiments exactly. I was cleaning it up with a q-tip and iso. The last thing it was on was a cocoplug. After a couple of days dabbing it away, it just stopped living on my plants. I think I may have created an ideal environment for it to flourish when I left a small amount of an RO water spill evaporate. When I cleaned up after a similar spill last week, there was something slimy on the floor under an old reflector I had stored there. I hadn’t bothered cleaning under it in the past because it was on some small plastic blocks. I assumed it would evaporate quickly on its own, but it didn’t evaporate quickly enough.

I could be wrong about what the slime was, it could have just been coincidental. but I bleached the area really well to be certain.

@Albannach: Any place else is fine with me. I didn’t knowingly put it there and didn’t want it there. Interestingly, I was getting an identical mold on some Headband seeds I was trying to germ. I kept cleaning them and putting them in clean paper towels and 12-18n hours later is was back.

I watched a video on germinating a variety of seeds this survivalist had in his freezer in the original pkg for 10 years. He said some people were telling him seeds die in the freezer in a few years. So, he took a variety of seeds from his freezer and germinated them in 3 days time. Some veggies, like his cukes, didn’t germ. Anyway, the point is, he said there are certain molds that he will not bother cleaning off because they aren’t harmful to the seeds. He found seeds that get the whitish fuzzy mold never popped.

2 Likes

are you allowing the media to sufficiently dry between waterings? i recently got some fuzzies growing on my soil because i was watering it too often (rooting clones … didnt want to let em dry out) but i just sprayed it with some h2o2 or isopropyl to kill it off and started letting em dry out

1 Like

@legalcanada, I’ve been letting them dry more lately. I grow in coco, so I can’t push it too much, coco doesn’t retain as much moisture as soil. I think poor housekeeping caused the mold. It seems to be gone now and the only thing I did different was to bleach the floor where I get overruns from filling my containers with RO water.

As far as seeds go, I never washed my seeds in the past, but while trying how to pop old seeds, I found the mold easily. I started putting them in H2O2 mixed 5:1 in favor of water, shaking them for a minute, and let them soak at least 12 hours. They are so clean now that they don’t mold at all during expended stays in moist paper towels.

Never too old to learn to stop being a slob, eh?

1 Like

this will also prevent seedlings from damping off, i like to rinse with h2o2 and add a splash to my germinating solution as well ever since my sole critical mass damped off :frowning:

1 Like