Silvery fuzz on the surface of my babies coco

@legalcanada, awwww, major disappointment! Looking at that pic, tells me what happened to one of the (BC Mango x BC Nightnurse) x Diesel Moonshine seeds yesterday. All 3 sprouts looked awesome when they went into the coco. Yesterday, I noticed one hadn’t come all the way out of its shell. I looked at it with a 10x eye loupe and saw what looked like a healthy root coming out of the soil and the inside of the shell was empty.

Now I know what damping off means.

Thank you! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m guessing you mean 5 to 1 … 3% H2O2 to Water ?

1 Like

i think 5 to 1 water to 3% h2o2 :smiley:

i just went and checked my clones and 3 more were dead with fuzzy mold climbing up the stem from the soil :frowning: its been like over a week and they aren’t drying out (in a bathroom with the door closed and the ceiling fan on) i think because the RH is high in there and no airflow so i brought an oscillating fan in there pointing at them and sprayed the soil of the remaining ones with pure 99% isopropyl, then with a ~20:1 water:h2o2 solution… i don’t want to loose these guys, thankfully i had 3 cuttings from each plant so i don’t think i’ve lost any phenos

1 Like

That’s one reason I use rockwool for cuttings. I tried soil when I was a beginner and would often have a whole tray damp-off. Switched to rockwool and never turned back.

Sounds like you know what went wrong :+1: Remember to changer the air like 5 times a day if they are under a dome also.

2 Likes

the thing is they are all fully rooted i’m just storing them until i can set up my garden in my new place… maybe i should put them outside for now but i don’t want to bring pests with me…

sorry for hijacking @Cobra50

2 Likes

Ah, ok. Ya, I’d say some powerful light and a bit of airflow is what they need now. Again, good grow-instincts.

1 Like

thats probably the missing link… i’ve been trying to keep them stunted but fuck it, under the light they’re going! thx grobro

2 Likes

@Scissor-Hanz: Yes, 3% peroxide. I tried to find a consensus on how much to use. It seems everyone has a different idea. I settled on 5:1 (5 parts water to 1 part 3% H2O2, like @legalcanada said) because I watched a YouTube video where they actually germinated for 7 or 8 days. Their control was straight water. Their test amounted to 5 parts water to 1 part 3% H2O2. Their test seeds were in that solution the entire time and the sprouts grew faster than they did in the controls subjects. Until day 6, when the control seeds caught up. On days 7 the control seeds passed the H2O2 subjects in sprout length.

Granted, they were not cannabis seeds. But the test left me thinking if they sprouted while soaking, they probably would get damaged by the peroxide. It did leave them very clean. No mold problems during extended stays in the towels. Before that, the older seeds I tried to germinate got moldy (white fuzzy mold) in only a day. I obviously needed to clean up my process and this seems to work. I’ll continue to clean my seeds before germinating.

@legalcanada: No worries, bro. Its all good, informative, and related. :smiley:

1 Like

Looks like what we use to get on tomato plants on the farm. It was called dampening off fungus or dampening off disease. We used to set out thousands of tomato plants and bell pepper plants every spring. Usually, we would loose 300-500 to this plague that the farming community knows all too well. The problem was: in N.C. from 1940’s, rural farmers were lucky to have any help from agricultural offices, hell, most did not even have electricity. My mother’s family did not have power on the farm until 1959. The farmers gathered together discussed the situation and decided that the heat/humidity was most likely causing the problem. They started trying different things to no avail to save the product. Keeping seedlings in root celler part of the time, etc…, all we needed was more air movement, a ceiling fan on the porch would most likely have saved 95%-97% of the seedlings. That really pisses me off, because I was one of the unlucky ones that was responsible for starting seeds. That means that, if you start em, YES, you get blamed if something like they die, or your big very (mentally) slow cousin sits down on (4) four trays of peppers that you were supposed to already have planted but could not because you are taking care of the big very slow cousin. Yes, all kinds of bad shit happens on the farm that you never hear about, and probably never will.

regards,

mike28086

1 Like