Soil moisture controlled drip irrigation

Anyone ever use something like this? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iwkE_HWU-6M&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

5 Likes

Yes. I did for a while. I modeled a micro grow setup, similar to Mr.Sparke, and used a Bluetooth soil sensor and a raspberry pie with software I wrote, to irrigate when the soil got below 10% moisture… it worked pretty good.

3 Likes

I have used those soil probes, to my surprise they worked better then expected…

It’s an easy process to then add a relay board to control a solenoid valve. I also added a quartz time device but it isn’t necessary.

I’m going to be making a set up for this for my next outdoor grow, but I might make the probes with some copper wire so they are a little more sturdy, it’s only measuring the resistance so it’s not overly complicated. I’ll probably make a thread about it when I do

You should be able to find most of the code already written for these, so you shouldn’t have to do a lot of coding.

1 Like

You can use a contactor controlled by a moisture signaling device to open and close valves.

I’m on my second grow using a Growlink sensor irrigation system, dtw.

It’s a turnkey solution, it’s working as promised, but it does cost about as much as a good light, so I understand tolerances for that can vary.

Here’s my current grow, and there is a link to my first grow in the first post.

Tripl3fastaction & Growlink

2 Likes

I really recommend a capacitive soil sensor instead of one that is resistance based. Those ones corrode fairly quickly from my experience with them at first go.

I have used these ones for years (5?) and they are still as new. I don’t expect them to ever need replacement from what I can see:

I ordered some capacitive sensors from Aliexpress but have not used them yet. They don’t have anything covering the electronic components like the Pino-tech ones.

1 Like

Why dont you just use blumats?

1 Like

I use blumats in the greenhouse and they are stellar, an absolute game changer.

I use arduino controlled pumps in my bonsai veg cabinets, with wicks in 4” pots. There are small reservoirs in there and no chance of over run.

1 Like

No way to elevate a res for gravity fed drip system.

1 Like