Soil Teeming With Microbes & Worms

Our soil mix for our outdoor garden gives us amazing tomatoes, ocra, potatoes, lentils and much more.

We make our compost and have our own worm farm making lots of worm casting. Our outdoor food garden is teeming with a variety of tiny living organisms including worms.

My concern is…using that Teeming soil indoors…I suspect all forms of biology will stay in the container/pot…but I do wonder if some tiny critters might escape and found trying to colonize outside of the soil container. Please share your experience?

3 Likes

That’s how I first started indoor growing as a kid. I had some amazing grows with the stuff I borrowed from my Dad’s garden. He did alot of composting, the soil was dark and rich, full of life. I would take it and mix with perlite, and just plain water start to finish. Grew some great bud in cabs with cfls.

3 Likes

I think this soil could be very successful if you use a larger volume of soil. I would say 20-30 gallons minimum.

Worms may try and escape if the soil temperature gets too hot or cold. In my experience they don’t make it very far and I just pick up the “worm jerky” and throw it in my pot.

The soil beneficials like springtails, soil mites, rove beetles, and nematodes will likely stick around if you keep the soil moist. They are not very likely to crawl out of the container, they prefer to live in the soil.

5 Likes

Handy tip, if you pot has drainage holes place some gauze or netting in the bottom to prevent the worms from accidentally crawling out of them. The “worst” bug issue I have is some grey ones (forget their name now) that like to hang out under some pots but they are beneficial too.

3 Likes