Some bug I have never seen before

I saw this bug on a poinsettia and it was wack. They were underneath the leaf sucking plant juices! I thought they were just small white fly larvae, except here’s the thing. It can’t be. So what the hell is this?

Somehow, I am seeing them everywhere! Except… I’ve never seen one fly past me.

10 Likes

Last pic looks like a midge. Could they have been laying eggs and not sucking the plants? Excellent photos btw. Great detail.

8 Likes

hmmm yah good call, it does look like one. Some kind of white gall midge? I should check around for larvae! I’ll do it during lights out with the UV light, and I’ll do some daylight searching.

8 Likes

It’s 2mm long so they’re pretty tiny. I should go browse some insect ID keys.

4 Likes

Could be some sort of termite icon_e_confused|nullxnull, check this horrible page … :sweat_smile:

Captura

https://www.insectimages.org/browse/taxthumb.cfm?view=3&order=121

5 Likes

I’m having trouble identifying it! yikes! Here are the details, though. Large compound eyes, double wings with hairs, and some kind of egg-laying device. If I didn’t know better I’d swear it was a white fly. I keep coming back to that but it doesn’t really look like it. I didn’t see any larvae or flyers. I’ll give the plants a roughing up and see what happens.

8 Likes

here’s the larvae! Some BTK killed a swath of them and I collected their carcasses.

4 Likes

Got nothin… I see a goat head in that top pic of post 6. But with alien eyes.

6 Likes

Nice camera or scope btw…

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

Are you sure it’s not some sort of mite, or aphid? In that last pic the body looks familiar… predator mite?

3 Likes

There’s a LOT of termites! I had no idea. Creepy looking things.

3 Likes

You think there could be two different kinds of bugs? The one I identified as a larvae is really just a different bug? Because I’m having trouble finding eggs. I’d love to find a goddamned egg.

1 Like

That isn’t a thrip? I saw one and thought it was.

2 Likes

I’m stumped, nothing I have seen before.

3 Likes

Looks like a mosquito to me mate

2 Likes

Looks like fungus gnats to me:

gnatlife

6 Likes

It does. A midge is a close relative…really looks like something I’d use as a fly for trout. Are you close to water @JoeCrowe?
@GrowingInThePines

Might be. Looks a bit different to me. Heres a poinsettia thrip pic…
Never mind. Pic won’t upload. Sorry.
Does look like fungus gnats too @Oldjoints

6 Likes

Oh boy another fly fisherman huh? Sweet! That’s my other obsession fly/float.

4 Likes

I’m a float fisherman myself. And lure. There is a thread on here bro.

5 Likes

It does look very similar to the Fungus Gnat @Oldjoints. Closest so far. The eyes look to be the same size in the pen drawing.

2 Likes