Some bug I have never seen before

There is an app to identify insects.

6 Likes

By looking at the drawing that @Oldjoints posted it looks like a larvae molting out of that stage into adult.

Thanks for that tip @Esrgood4u! gotta see if I can find it on Apple’s app store. I have so many cool insects around here and that app would be great for me. I’m so far rural, and we don’t have any farming per say, so no pesticides to affect insect life. It really opened my eyes to the fact that other places close to any ag work has a pretty thin insect population. It’s been years since I’ve seen such a complete community of them as I do here. They love to hang out on my pot plants all summer. Wasps, ladybugs, and jumping spiders are my friends. and green lacewings, too.

6 Likes

I just looked for an app and found one. Used the picture to ID it and the app said exactly what people thought it was. I’m not sure how accurate it actually is though.

2 Likes

It looks exactly like an albino fungus gnat. I should start checking the hydro buckets for larvae.

here’s a normal gnat.

5 Likes

Glad I could help mate. I find that when I find apps such as this I go looking for weird things to try and trip the app up :rofl:

6 Likes
4 Likes

What did the app say?

2 Likes

:point_up:

2 Likes

Yah I’m not ruling out midge until I see the larvae in the bucket. Once I see it’s initial form, it’ll be obvious if it’s a midge or gnat.

1 Like

Yeah, I have endless weird insects. I always find myself wanting to know it it’s friend or foe, heh. If it’s friendly, I promptly walk it over to my plants and add it on. I’m gonna DL that app right now. peace

2 Likes

Have some fun with it. It feels good when an app like this can’t identify its subject from your find. :v:

2 Likes

Dang, I went to the app store and they must have had 2 dozen apps doing the same thing. I went with the one you posted. I’ll be playing with it today. Thanks again!

1 Like

ok well I found some springtails in the soil and scuttling around the pots. Perhaps those are the dead larvae I’ve spotted above?

4 Likes

I guess that means BTK is toxic to springtails? I should go test that out.

3 Likes
3 Likes

lol I use it to scare the earwigs away from the sweet peppers and basil. If I don’t spray the btk on the basil, the earwigs will eat every last leaf! Same with the sweet peppers. If I don’t spray them, I’ll lose 30% to ear wigs.

2 Likes

This place has always been great for weird bug ID’s.

You may want to take up fly fishing, though :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks! That was a very useful article. The retailers don’t bother with things like… the truth!

3 Likes

I don’t think that it’s a plant parasite. I’ve come up dry trying to find it’s larvae! I hunted all over the plants and in the buckets. I’m going to just see what happens because I’ve got a plan in place to end all life… on earth! hah hah just kidding, I mean end all parasitic life forms, if that’s what they are.

2 Likes

yum! The mystery deepens. Listen to this doozy! I went into the bloom room where I had put all the plants, and on one of them were a pile of carcasses of these bugs. It seems like a swarm of them hit the light cover and got fried today.

4 Likes