Something to keep in mind

Before commenting on a grow thread make sure to check what method the grower is using.

I see synthetic growers giving nonsensical advice to organic growers.
And I see organic growers giving nonsensical advice on synthetic nute grows. (I’ve been guilty of that.)

They are two completely different worlds and require vastly different approaches.

A quick check on which method they’re using before sharing advice helps prevent heated discussions and misunderstandings.

25 Likes

That’s all well and good but the problem could still easily be resolved with the application of CalMag.

Failing that, Epsom salt.

10 Likes

This sort of thing always happens in the first three posts.

A vague explanation with a shitty picture. Often the details you suggest we search for aren’t there to find.

But I agree a certain ordering between the organics and the synthetics would be helpful

2 Likes

Nope… Boron fixes all… Big box of Borax will fix your life if you want it to! Not quite powerful enough to fix the world though…

7 Likes

Gotta have patience and ask them.
It’s understandable, they arrive nervously, sometimes from other more spicy forums, post-trauma, PTSD, etc. That’s why they’re here, to aleviate that, to get some support.

7 Likes

So what if the person is using both organic and synthetic. I’m not being a smart ass either. This outdoor I am doing just that. Peace.

3 Likes

I have no idea why you would do that.
It’s like pouring water into the ocean.

1 Like

Hmm please explain? I have ADHD sometimes I miss the obvious. Please.

It’s unnecessary that’s all.

You can make your soil outside more fertile by sowing companion crops and nitrogen fixing covercrops. Research permaculture for more info. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So Living soil. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s easy to answer for me. I use foxfarm because it’s easy and Ph’d their line also is a combination of organic and synthetic

grow/synthetic
big bloom/organic
tiger bloom/synthetic
kelp me kelp you/organic
microbe/organic
open sesame/synthetic
bembe/organic

What I was asking though is how one might tailor their advice when using both.

4 Likes

I didn’t want anything to do with forums after a couple bad experiences when I first started and was looking for advice so this statement rings true for me. I got put onto OG from @DefNSmokn glad I did. much different atmosphere. Friendly.

12 Likes

My take away is any synthetic used classifies the grow as nonorganic. Semantics yes.

In your case, you have a unique (or common due to Amazon giving salts away for free with bundles, which I suspect is the cause of the “situation”), view using all the same variables. And your advice would hold more weight. Add more variables, such as indoor, outdoor.

In the end, the phenotype is a combination of genetics and environmental conditions combined. Yay… more variables. Experience is key I suppose.

With any troubleshooting, it takes a lot of probing questions to coax out the information from the end grower.

With a voice conversation, you can steer the conversation towards a hybrid exchange of information without intimidation, based on your personality.

I suspect a hard post forum adds lingering posts that can potentially steer the diagnosis off of a cliff.

tl;dr I’m glad I didn’t buy boron

2 Likes

That may be your truth, however not my truth at all.
I once was convinced in the silly idea of salts bad, organics way better.
Just like so much other information, gains of truth in both growing styles.
To say, this one is better than another, is just a one sided argument, with no legs to it.
Any information, can be key holed, as gospel. It’s just a way, pick one or use both, works very well.
Every argument the Premies scream about salt growing, comes from valid accusations, when you look at America field results, as somewhere around 1960’s and 70’s, our field harvest, went down and fertilizers applications went up.
We moved millions of cattle into feed lots, and the downward spiral became greater. Corporate farming, sucks, due to OVER FERTILIZING, ignoring the microbiota.
Properly applied, salts, can live with organics, just as different races can and do live together.
I’ve been running organic medium with salt based fertilizers for some time now. I enjoy bigger harvest numbers, less bug issues, and more free and easy way to raise what I choose to grow.
I love organics to grow with. I love salt based fertilizers to grow in tandem with organics. More options is always better for choosing.
Salmon start life in fresh water, and come back to die in it, after spending many years in salt water.

2 Likes

Oh Snap!
Thank you for that… Needed that this morning.:wink:
Just need to add milk to my cereal

1 Like

I have an answer for you with no bullshit.

Yes, you can use both together.
But, is it the best way to do things? Just because you can… does that mean you should?!

In this case no, you shouldn’t.

Here’s why… and it’s a pretty simple explanation.

Organic soil is a living soil, it’s self sufficient and sustainable. It has worms, organisms, bacteria and moisture in it to break down plant matter into useable sized nutrients that plant roots can easily uptake and the plant can use where it’s needed most for proper health and growth.

Synthetic fertilizers, (man made inorganic compounds), are usually derived from by-products in the petroleum industry. Synthetic fertilizers may also have an excessive amount of sodium in them.

In short, synthetic fertilizers used in organic soil will effectively kill off all the beneficial bacteria and organisms that are responsible for creating the living soil, essentially ruining the soil. Synthetics can also leach out and displace organic nutrients and replace them with sodium.

Another thing that must be mentioned about synthetic fertilizers is the fact that they can and are responsible for contaminating groundwater reserves.

Organics don’t have the same effect on groundwater reserves.

It something to think about.

3 Likes

In industrial farming sure. For our purposes I wouldn’t worry about it. Lawns are far worse.

Synthetic runoff vs cow shit runoff gets us to the same place.

:+1:

also I don’t have any runoff :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you for your explanation. Respect. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:wink:

Organic fertilizers can certainly do the exact same thing though. That video talks about using both organic and synthetic and how precision fertilization is really the key to not harming the environment.

2 Likes

Bruce!!! love that episode.

2 Likes