Nutrients that dont play nice with others

I remember reading somewhere along the way that certain nutrients dont get along with others depending on where they are derived from/method of extraction. For the life of me i cant remember what it was. Magnesium? Was wondering if someone might be able to clue me in on just what happened here so I dont make the same mistake in the future:

I initially thought it was a deficiency given the location after I began supplementing calmag from (mega crops) while i was using Advanced Nutrients Sensi A/B.

I have since flushed and appear to have it sorted after using a liquid calmag for coco. Im traditionally an organic(‘ish) soil grower but i like to dabble in coco so im still learning. First time ive had issues in coco, each plant i had done prior went the entire grow without a sad leaf, even the cotyledons stayed healthy through harvest, something I had never seen before.

5 Likes

Could be nutrient burn or lockout? icon_e_confused|nullxnull

1 Like

I have concluded it was locked out, but ec and ph of runoff were both well within range and optimal. I just dont understand why.

3 Likes

K,Ca, and Mg have a certain ratio that must be kept to avoid what is called antagonization. The ratio is usually 3,2,1 K, Ca, Mg. So for instance you would want an elemental ppm of 75 Mg, 150, Ca, and 225 K to avoid the elements antagonizing or “locking out” each. Other elements antagonize other elements as well but K, Ca, Mg are the usual culprits and since Ca is the element that moves most of the other elements through the plant, if Ca, is locked out expect deficiencies from other elements as well.

9 Likes

Leafs are on the darker side of green , and there are some tips clawing

Maybe hit with bloom feed , extra p and k in feed less n

2 Likes

In your particular case, it looks like the start of a K deficiency as K is locked out by excess Ca, and Mg.

6 Likes

Thanks guys.
That would possibly be an issue, i started toying with the mix ratios adding a little bit more of B and a little less of A. I reckon i will keep the ratios the same, only add a little less so i can have room for the booster in my EC.

Thank you.

I try to keep my EC below 1.5. To avoid over feeding, so I dick about the ratios so I can have room for the booster. I know each strain and nutrient line are different, but what would you say would be a safe EC ceiling for flower in coco?

1 Like

What I see is purple petioles (strain related? icon_e_confused|nullxnull) and purple zones in the leaf, that’s normally caused by a Phosphorous deficiency, maybe blocked for too much Calcium?

8 Likes

Good eye. I do believe purple stems are to be expected with both strains from descriptions

1 Like

I was checking the components and saw this:

so I have to ask you, what’s your tap water pH? Do you correct pH? icon_e_confused|nullxnull

1 Like

I use RO water. Ph is steady after mix at 5.9.

1 Like

Then I agree with this … Arriba

4 Likes

I mix my own salts which is super easy and gives you total control over what you feed your plants. I’m drain to waste coco you could feed the plants quite high, my current veg formula mixes to 1.9/2.0 EC. I go as high as 3.2 for clones in fresh coco till all the cation sites are filled then I go back to 1.9 Ec.

1 Like

Keep in mind, ratios and elemental ppm are more important than the overall EC. Increasing EC to correct a deficiency will only cause more problems if your ratios are not balanced.

5 Likes

Does Mulder’s Chart help?

5 Likes

This chart has given me more grey hairs than I care to admit.

4 Likes

Absolutely !

2 Likes

I can relate lol!

2 Likes

Good point @SeymourGreen regarding just uppin ec to correct deficiency etc

2 Likes