Starting juvenile plant from seed straight on 12/12

I just wanted to add to this very interesting topic part of article from Plant Physiology book:

Juvenility

… there are many plants which cannot terminate vegetative phase till they reach some age, in other words when they are in their juvenility phase.

Juvenility is therefore unability of young plants to move to reproduction even if there are all external conditions met. It is well know in wood, that need particular number of seasons to start fruiting. Herbs can have juvenile phase that takes days or weeks. Juvenility also explains inefficacy of photoperiodic induction before reaching particular phase of growing. It is not measured by astronomical, but biological time. For example Perilla must have 3 pairs of leaves till it starts to sens photoperiodic induction, tobacco creates up to tens of leaves before going to reproduction. Adapt advantage of juvenility is to postpone energetically exhausting reproduction till it establishes mass of assimilation surface.

Juvenility is hereditary propriety of a plant.

Junvenile plants differ from full-grown plants by shape of leaves, longer internodes, speed of growth and easier rooting.

Junvenile and adult state are often very permanent proprieties of top meristems and tissues that they originate from. Graft from full-grown plant keeps its adulthood when grafted on top of juvenile basis. Juvenility and adulthood is kept by cloning.

5 Likes

Curious - what is the Juvenility for mj though?

Really curious about 12/12 from seed, but if a plant can’t reproduce for (×) time-frame, seems like wasted veg time? I run my veg 24/7.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Since starting back up this summer, I’ve read about 12/12 from seed, completely foreign to me. Though that does makes sense with tropical sativas, with others it seems it’s making them grow as an auto (all these auto strains are also completely new to me). I can see how this growth style can fit in some situations. But in post I read on another forum, the difference just two weeks of veg makes is huge, the plant wasn’t too much taller, but it yielded much more. Then of course 4 weeks of veg produced much more still. Since I’m running some tester seeds, would it be a good test for the breeder to see how it may grow 12/12 from seed

3 Likes

i kept plants in a veg. state for bout 8 yrs, i pulled clones from a plant before flipping then when those clones were 4 weeks old i would pull clones from them, so on and so on. the last clone i pulled was acually 8 yrs old.

3 Likes

Little secret I learned about long-flowering sativas.

Skip 12:12 and go straight to 10:14 for the first couple weeks, and the plants will show sex within a month. As soon as you see signs of sex kick em back up to a normal veg schedule

2 Likes

Good one. Doesn’t seem to affect Male female ratio?

1 Like

Chem cookies I’ll beg for 4 -5 weeks from seed and they get flipped and I keep them in3 gallons they will stretch for 3-4 weeks so it the only way to grow em in my 5 ‘ tall tent. I love growing my own medicine it’s so much smoother tastier and stronger with a beautiful white ash in living soil no PH pens no flushing just. Down to earth rose and flower and shrimp meal amended soil at transplant and home made LABs and FFJ the labs take away the decomposing smells from the organic amendments and also super charge the soil to break down organic matter into plant available nutes.

1 Like