Stem Rub - How, Why, Whatfor?

All I know is sub was The weednerd but didn’t go to college so it’s a bit comical IMO.

:man_shrugging:

:evergreen_tree:

I think where it primarily comes in handy for me

is when you get to know a line well, whether it be looking thru several generations… or a few successions of large populations

it can be an indicator for other characteristics associated with that stem rub smell

there’s no science to it I use all 5 senses to pick males
and it’s treated me well

I’ve seen a breeder who prioritized stem rubs in breeding without much else considered and he still had hood beans but a lot of failed projects that didn’t meet the goals

so I think it’s a tool for the tool box but not anything to put a lot of merit into

Just another fun way to geek yourself up on plants

4 Likes

Do you, by chance, have a lab analysis at hand showing the main psychotropic ingredients of that butter? ty

I squeeze gently yet firmly and rub rough till i feel the stem get a sort of oily feeling(like you’ve just lightly lotioned your hands kinda feeling) and smell my fingers. Ya gotta wait till a mature veg for it even kind of give you an idea of what to expect though at least that’s been my experience. From mid flower the best spot to rub is directly under bud sites and lightly. For males I couldn’t say I’ve never kept one alive long enough to find out. One of these days though.

3 Likes

Hold up

I even gave you the benefit of the doubt but that is 100% in terrible taste

I didn’t see that when I first replied only when Oscar quoted that post in the other when I looked to see what came of it

1 Like

stem rubs… I’ve been betrayed by stem rubs to many times but I do practice stem rubbing during selection. Usually it is after I get to know a line I’m working , then I have a knowledge base on the smells I am looking for when selecting from subsequent generations if I’m looking for a particular expression. That is where I find it the most handy but a big part of selection is also looking for that sticky or tacky stem rub… those are worth having a longer look at.

3 Likes