You grown out a plant with zero terps?

So I’m about week 7 or so of flower in my living soil grow and one of my plants literally has zero smell or terps, its crazy. I have another right next to it that smells the entire tent of citrus and grapefruit and leaves your fingers smelling the same for what seems like hours if you inspect the buds.

This is my first living soil grow, and only my 2nd overall so i am just curious if any of you have ever grown out something and got a really bland smelling pheno? Everything else about it is great, vigor, structure, etc but it just lacks any kind of flavor which is a real bummer because it’s going to be my biggest yielder for sure. My last grow I had some better than others but none that didn’t really smell like anything like this one.

5 Likes

I’ve had plants with no stem rub smell, and smelt like grass. I was bummed as all hell. Well a nice 3 to 5 month cure on them, and they smelt and smoked of grapefruit scent and flavor. Really odd. Sometimes a nice cure will bring things out.

14 Likes

Yes but, they had terps that showed amber. this is what count.
:green_heart::seedling:

1 Like

Terps or trichomes?

1 Like

Trichomes sweetie. I got totally wasted with my sisters after my abusive Mothers funeral.
:green_heart: :seedling:

4 Likes

I hope there was kind bud involved. :smiley:

1 Like

Whats the strain?

I have grown a couple strains with a weak smell and taste, may have just been the Pheno but like you said others were a lot stronger all fed and taken care of the same.

Garlic glaze [(GMO x Blue Hurricane) x Cookie Jar]

1 Like

Made a cross once of two very flavorful strains and one of the plants was almost completely without smell. It still had a great effect though.

8 Likes

I have a plant hanging to dry right now that barely has any smell at all. The only reason it made it to harvest is my curiosity about a plant with no smell…alright it has a smell. But it’s so faint and almost undetectable. PBB x Lebanese. Should be dry in 2 days. It will probably end up in the trash but I’ll try it first.

And yes it has peers who stink very much. This is a plant issue not a tent issue.

2 Likes

I’ve had phenos of strains come thru with very low smell, I’ve even seen some strains touted by breeders for having “low odor” or being “low stealth” due to being weak on the terp side of things. I’ve had strains that seemed to have not much smell until I’ve got em in a jar for a couple weeks as @Pawsfodocaws suggested. Fun, interesting or good smelling terp profiles is one of the biggest factors for me in deciding if a plant is a keeper. Aside from effect, structure and ease of growing that is :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Had an ancestral skunk a while back that wasn’t really strong smelling or tasting. Still had some mild citrusy weed smell but you could have a big mason jar full and open in the middle of a small room and not really smell it.

Grew one of Sebrings autos and when it was almost at harvest it did some sort of revegging right before harvest and lost all its smell. It was like smoking blank weed lol.

I have chalked it up to me, over or under fertilizing. But it can be genetics at times also.

That early disappointment is one of many reasons the cannabis gene pool is in sad shape. Most growers don’t believe in the cure any more. 6 months used to be standard. Like, only 10 years ago. Before Boveda and hay weed. Ancient America apparently… Today it’s terp freezers and culled plants before they’re even harvested it seems lol.

Grapefruit mercaptan is created when fatty acids break down over time. Meaning shelf life, ultimately. Expiration dates on spices are relative to flavor, not market trends. I don’t keep my spice rack in the fridge or wait in line for garlic drops. Weed is an herb, not a fruit peel. Limonene fades, tastes bad, and doesn’t get you higher. Paired with carboxlic acids and glycosylate, grapefruit mercaptan does everything limonene doesn’t. It’s time to get over terps. They don’t appeal.

Breeding for ‘aromatic’ instead of ‘aliphatic’ cannabis will be a death sentence for any operation under legalization. If your nose can’t tell the difference, you will fall behind instantly. Cannabis won’t be sold “fresh”, or kept refrigerated once it’s on a global market. It’s going to be stock piled long term. The refrigerated live resin stuff will not even remotely be a thing in 10 years.

I’ve grown plenty of plants without terps, but never grown a plant without a sweet or sour smell and taste of some sort. You’re going to have lots of short chain carboxlic acids in organic cannabis regardless of genetics. You might have to grind the bud up but it’s there in all its nostril glowing glory.

2 Likes

I hear you sister, I did that this past May, what a sh*t show!

1 Like

I grew a Secret Dragon that barely had any smell at all, faint potpourri after drying.
Still got a wonderful effect from it.
But I decarb and eat my herb by the teaspoon, or half teaspoon, or even one third of a teaspoon, depending on the strength of the cultivar, so flavor and smell doesn’t matter to me.
Chew briefly and swallow.
Microdosing like this is gonna catch on big time I think.
I’ll be promoting it at least, nothing but benefits.
After decarbing for 3 hours at 100 degrees celsius the chances of mold are slim to none, it’s practically sterile, and it still cures and gets stronger.

2 Likes

I grew a Grass Monkey plant once that had only the slight smell of celery while growing. It was frosty and potent however.

2 Likes

LOL, celery… these plants are hilarious.

2 Likes