Sterile dwc options

Yeah you can try that. That or hydroguard.
Both are the complete opposite of sterile though. Both of those products are water with a bunch of beneficial bacteria. Some have good luck with it for sure. It just didn’t work for me with my tap water, I had to go sterile to have success.

1 Like

Uc roots isn’t bennes it has the same thing basically as the pool shock

1 Like

Ah looks like you’re right. Just all the wording for that product and the name of the company being “Cultured Solutions” sure makes it seem like it’s not a sterilizer and more bacteria. Hence, cultured but no. I can’t find a single source that says what it actually is, and for the price, why not just use poolshock or bleach?

Your right about the price it is expensive

1 Like

Sterile res FAQ?
Took me a good while to get a grasp on the amount a when I was looking into it.
Would be helpful to point to.

1 Like

i use the pool shock, I make a stock solution of 2g in a gallon. then add 3ml per gal of that solution.

1 Like

I just change out my water(RO) 2x a week and haven’t had any problems. But I’m just running 3 5 gallon dwc buckets. If I were running anything with an independent res tank I’d probably have needed to learn about this sooner :sweat_smile: my roots are good though​:man_shrugging: 20201007_152907|375x500

1 Like

Yes - be careful which shock you buy or which liquid bleach you use. You DO NOT want any other crap in it.

I just found this out the hard way. I grow AA aeroponics. I am obsessed with fuzzy roots, and they are very delicate. Even a little too much chlorine - or other algaecides or cleaners, etc etc will kill them off while leaving you with nice white roots.

I started using one of the 4-in-1 pool shocks a few months ago and have been unable to get fuzzy roots like I used to. It took me forever to finally realize what was wrong and stop using that shock and now I suddenly have fuzzy hairs again.

Most of the pool shocks now say 4-in-1, etc, so Im assuming they all have extra additives. So, now Im changing over to pure calcium hypochlorite. Its more expensive up front, but more concentrated, so roughly the same cost per dose. This 1 pound bottle will last me years and years.

3 Likes

I’ve done 1 - 2.5 ml. of 30% food grade H2O2. 1ml is usually good for up keeping. 2ml if you’re trying to deal with an active problem. (can be applied every 3-4days).

At around 2-3ml you may start to burn the leaves a bit. However I did not notice any negative effects from it at all. As a matter of fact, the roots seem to love the extra oxygen.

1 Like

These aquarium gadgets are kind of useful.
You fill it with peroxide, you adjust the flow rate with number of ceramic pellets inside or just increasing h202 strength.
The pellet inside the tank reacts with the peroxide, ceramic with iron content I think, which creates pressure that then ejects the peroxide.
Nice n even dosage.

1 Like