T8's for Vegging - DIY time

Finally put time aside to build one fixture. Next one will be a breeze. It’s got 14 bulbs. Not over driven, just seven two bulb ballasts used.

plenty of ballasts left.

Looks like I gotta go through the bulbs and mix and match.

All that’s left is to epoxy all the clips into the holder, secure the ballasts, cut some chain and build another.

Quick phone light app measurements. A bit broader numbers a little further away.

I was scared about this for about twenty minutes. Took a few pulls off the water pipe to encourage myself.

Two of these fixtures should be great to run the seeds from @buryseeds on the first.

Edit: I tapped reply accidentally…
Next build I’ll document a little better, but fire away any comments questions. Cheers

7 Likes

I know next to nothing about these sorts of things, forgive me.

Is the T8 significantly different that a T5?

That many High Output T5 bulbs would be overkill.

That’s good.

1 Like

T8 are a little over half as bright and consume around just over half the amount of watts as T5’s when driven normally.

But T8 are just your standard florescent bulb, the T# denotes the size of the bulb and specifically the diameter mainly, but each one runs after different wattage’s, but typically the smaller the bulb the more efficient it is.

the sizing is as such though T12 = twelve / eights of an inch aka 1.5", T8 = 1", T5 = 5/8" and so on

use to run floro tubes a ways back, they worked well for me, also had over driven T8 in my shop at the time, couldn’t even tell it was night time till you stepped outside.

@Kalgrae you’ll have more than enough light now lol probably pulling about 480-500w from the wall, could even flower under it if running new bulbs, that fixture will be pretty warm though, saying that the bulbs wont last as long, but free is free

5 Likes

Great break down. Thank you!

I am veggin under T5’s wouldn’t trade them for the world.

Good results, never a worry.

4 Likes

that thing is awesome! looks like a tanning bed.

3 Likes

Thanks @Mr.Sparkle for chiming in. Appreciate it. Your diy lights and setups are really impressive! I had thought about them getting really hot since the bulbs are so close together and this morning am thinking to remove a couple and give them each about 1/2 inch space between them. Heat. Now I can use the heat, but this summer I won’t.

I’m also thinking to raise the ballasts slightly off the cover so a little air moves beneath them but still keep them grounded. Maybe it won’t matter and dry run them first to see what temps stay like.

2 Likes

If you’re tan, you can’t bitch, about anything. :scorpion:

2 Likes

Hey @Kalgrae did you ever do more with these? How’re they workin out for you?

1 Like

Yeah @Jellypowered they’re what I’m using now to veg under. Set at about 3’ from the canopy and the plants seem happy.
From Wednesday.

6 Likes

do you have an update? surely they are close to finishing? Are you flowering under the same light?

Two of the five were female and both finishing this week. One is on this thread.
This spindly little one is getting close too.

She’s kind of ugly and scraggly looking but has a beautiful mysteriousness about her. I think @ganjajuana has one of the same phenos? Not a typical looking plant at all. Proper pics when she comes out for harvest.

7 Likes

Good stuff @Kalgrae bro, that spindly fkr will probably be potent as fk… lol.
What strain is it. . Have been able to put some outdoors or…?? I will pm you soon mate…
Happy growing/smoking ,
Gaz

1 Like

It’s the ([BC Mango x BC NightNurse] x Diesel Moonshine) #1 from my pollen chuck.

3 Likes