Tents full of happiness and love ft. Bodhi and friends

Working on it :wink: Making a trip out to Portland early June to scope things out…

Thanks, I’ll scope this out too, never been.

Definitely going to check these out. Seems very low maintenance, plus I like the ability to easily cover the top to prevent a bunch of gnats. Couple that with the ability to re-use the soil in them, seems like a win-win. I can always find another use for my blumats.

I’ve been watching the video progression of Jeremy’s plants in the EBs in his 10 x 10… pretty awesome!

You’d definitely have to modify the hempy buckets pretty heavily. I’m sure there is some good info in the RIU thread… just sucks you gotta sift through those 3000 posts!

10 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I’ve been using just EWC/compost and molasses for my teas for the last few years. The most recent AACT I made, I added some OG Biowar, both the Roots and Foliar packs, at 25% the suggested rate (one tablespoon of each, instead of the four Biowar recommends). Who knows if it made a difference? Haha. I didn’t bust out my microscope or anything.

I don’t even own a microscope.

6 Likes

The SIP works based on an air gap. You must have the soil slightly higher than the fill line. This creates a perched water table.

12 Likes

You are a wealth of information, as always my friend. That helps a ton. I’m getting ready to head a whole other direction I believe (kinda).

I just looked and man, that’s only 120 bucks for a 4x4! That’s really not bad imo, but seriously, growth rates to rival Hydro?

Questions off the top of my head. How do you tea? I figure it will go anaerobic if you fill the reservoir with it. Maybe just let it dry a bit, and just add a little? Initial top watering with it when I plant the clones?

Does top dressing do anything, or is this strictly water only? I wouldn’t think thay most of the microbial activity would be near the top with this type of setup.

I can see tons of potential with that type of setup. If you could dial it in, wow, easy.

Edit: like this?
https://www.emscogroup.com/products/lawn-and-garden/grow-products/pickers-grow-boxes/2340d-city-pickers-detail

6 Likes

I’d suggest reading the thread. You can make hempy buckets with wicks, but the most basic form of hempy involves your roots grow thru inert medium to the nutrient water at the bottom. Adding a tube to get the water to the bottom of a hempy won’t work until the roots reach the water level at the bottom, and that’s not the defining characteristic of the SIPs anyway.

SIPs wick up the water and, since it’s just water with no nutes, most of your roots stay in the soil. The capillary action distributing water thru the medium is one of the differences. Like I said, please read the thread.

I don’t do teas, and you could but not down the rez. Only up top. Water only down the tube, but you can topdress. The thread has all the info you’ll ever need! Please read it! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

@nube What are your thoughts on the octopots as a SIP off the shelf system?

6 Likes

@ReikoX Thank you for that information.

6 Likes

Octopots to me are basically just a coco hempy bucket with a higher volume water rez. I think it’s a good idea, but prolly not necessary. I haven’t used one so I can’t say for sure, but doesn’t look bad.

7 Likes

We’ll see how this goes.

12 Likes

That’s my next stop. Thanks sir!

4 Likes

Or y’all can just water your plants haha!!!

3 Likes

Yeah,good job

3 Likes

Spent the weekend making hashish from trim and smalls in the freezer. My girl is very happy to have the freezer space back. I made a small batch of SSDD trim and smalls only, and then another batch of mixed trim and smalls from the last rounds.

Shipment from Speakeasy got here in 5 days, so that’s pretty cool. They take CC too, which is convenient.

23 Likes

Nice! I really need to make some hash here soon. I’ve still got a freezer bag full of trim from the last few grows sitting in the, uh, freezer.

Is Speakeasy back to taking credit cards? Didn’t they stop for a while?

Actually, don’t answer that. I don’t need to buy any more seeds.

7 Likes

CSI is doing great work, and I’d love to run some of their stuff at some point, but it’s just so damned expensive. I can’t justify it even tho I now have cash flow. I looked on their site the day their 420 sale codes went life and, after 42% off, I was still over $1K for around 100 seeds. That math sucks.

I take donations. :wink:

14 Likes

You don’t have an issue with all of their selfed seeds? And the feminized seeds? I wanted to try some of their gear, but everything’s an S1 or whatever. Really weirds me out.

5 Likes

I’m about to find out, I guess. I personally don’t have an issue with selfing and reversing something to make fems. If the plant is something special, that may be the only way to get it back in seed form. Listening to Chimera’s potcast interview (pretty good one if you haven’t listened) made me want to re-visit fems, he talks about selfing pretty passionately. But, so far, to be honest, the fems I’ve grown have not been as good as regs I’ve grown …at least the freebies I’ve gotten (and maybe some of my own fems I’ve made). I hope this pack changes changes my opinion.

Yeah, they ain’t cheap… especially cuz we all know how easy it is to make seeds. I mean I get it, everyone’s gotta eat… I figure a portion of the money the government gave me should go towards growin’… probably should give a little bit to Overgrow too :wink:

No time like the present :slightly_smiling_face: I find it’s not tooo labor intensive with the bags and all. I really like using up as much of the plant as I can, trash to treasure and all that…

BTW, Anybody have any suggestions about moving a seed collection across the country?

6 Likes

I dunno why, but I have a huge issue with podcasts. I can’t listen to them. I have to be like stuck somewhere with absolutely nothing to do to check them out. Before this COVID shit, I was donating plasma twice a week, just for some extra money. I checked out a couple of Bodhi’s interviews then. But that’s the only way I can listen to them: sitting at some plasma donation place with a needle in my arm and no escape haha!

Don’t S1’s have a tendency to herm, though? That’s what I’ve always read, anyway. Selfed seeds and feminized seeds seem to herm at a much higher rate than “regular” seeds, is what I’ve read. I dunno.

When we moved, I filled up a cooler with ice and put my seeds in there. But that was when my seed collection was much smaller. It was also just an eight mile move, not a cross-country thing like you’re about to do. Still, a cooler (or two. Or three) filled with ice might work, as long as you don’t speed or do anything else that might compel some bumfuck middle-of-nowhere bored-ass cop to pull you over. They search your entire car for no reason out there…

Or you could just package everything and send it all out to Portland, maybe to a PO Box or something.

5 Likes

I feel the same as you @iamyou_youareme . I don’t have any issue with feminized seeds as long as I trust the person making them, and nspecta is probably the most legit you can get. Many of the legendary strains of the last 30 years are s1 or the result of a herm. And some of the most legendary landrace weed ever (thai) is very herm-prone, or so I’ve read.

So no, I don’t think responsibly-created fems necessarily have a higher likelihood of herming than the parents. They still gotta be tested by reputable breeders, just like regs. The tendency to herm is a spectrum, and just about every single weed plant has the potential to do it from one stress or another. Some are just less likely to do it than others. I think it’s incomplete dominance, much like CBD, combined with epigenetics and/or environmental stresses.

And CSI produces regs as well. :slight_smile:

I think hempseeds are legal now. I guess it depends how long it takes you to make it from one fridge to another. As long as you don’t have any weed with you during the move, just pack them in the top of a yeti cooler filled with a couple dozen frozen bottles of water or leakproof icepacks, stick to the interstates, call it good. You could also overnight them to yourself in a cooler filled with the same, call it good.

9 Likes

Would you breed with S1’s, do you think? Isn’t there some sort of weirdness associated with selfed seeds? Beyond a (supposed) tendency to herm, I mean?

4 Likes