Tents full of happiness and love ft. Bodhi and friends

Haha, yeah, see that’s where I need something automated, because I would definitely forget to shift the light cycle on my own! I do think it a good idea to try and mimic Mother Nature as much as possible; but another side of me wonders if there are certain cultivars that may do better with more than 12 hours of light… It would be a fun experiment, no doubt!

Thanks! The Pura Vida and Black Triangle are right around 55-57 days, so just little ahead of @torontoke . His definitely looks similar to the one I decided to keep out of my four. No strawberry jam here though, haha. Sugar cane sweetness, little lemon lime soda, finished out with some backend funk coming from her. Really looking forward to enjoying the PV again.

Yeah, that’s the plan… was actually listening to Coot’s interviews on KIS Organics this past weekend. Hopefully I’ll be able to source most of the ingredients locally in Portland, but I’m sure BAS or KIS can help me out with whatever I can’t source locally. Hoping to get my Blumats setup again, so it really is just dumping water in the res and letting them fly.

I haven’t messed with SIPs yet, but they’re intriguing. Like you, it’s going to totally depend on the space that I end up having to work within, before I can make any decisions on pot or bed size. But always good to have the knowledge ready to apply to my situation, so I’ll be sure to read up on them. Tempting to make my own boxes like ReikoX did. I’ll be sure to check out BAS comparisons, since that will likely influence how I’m going to get setup, thanks for the suggestion.

I’d say that’s a good descriptor. I don’t get super tired or anything from the BT, but it definitely feels like it slows me down, slows time down. I’ll get lost in my own headspace. It’s more of an introspective stone. I feel it in my lower back sometimes for pain relief, but mainly in the head. My friend that tried it recently said it’s his favorite out of anything I’ve grown.

12 Likes

I’ll second this. Coot’s mix really seems like the best and easiest recipe, although I think compost teas can be beneficial early on in the plants’ lives. I’ve grown with and without compost teas and I really do feel like they kind of kick the plants into gear, especially early in veg and early in flower. Twice a grow seems right to me. Might have something to do with a newer vs older soil mix, i.e. if you’re growing in older soil, skip the compost tea.

I know compost teas are considered unnecessary lately amongst organic growers (no idea why; maybe because Coot made fun of them on grasscity, even though he advocated for them for years?) and in no till, maybe they are after a few cycles. But I still use them. Simple recipe, of course: four gallons of water, 1.5 cups of EWC/compost and 1/3 cup molasses. I don’t add anything else to them.

I feel weird talking about somebody I’ve never met, but Jeremy’s got those beady eyes haha. I dated a girl for like two years who was obsessed with watching Oprah every day (she was awesome and I loved her; her obsession with Oprah was one of her only flaws haha!) and one day Oprah had that dickhead who wrote a “memoir” about addiction/recovery on her show, I can’t remember his name. I think the book was called “A Million Little Pieces” or something like that. Anyway, he had super-beady eyes and the whole time I watched the interview, I was like,”This guy is totally full of shit.” Turns out, he really was full of shit and made up, like, the whole book.

Jeremy’s eyes look exactly the same way as that dude who wrote that book. Seriously, I watched a couple of the buildasoil videos and was like,”Damn, I know this guy. Who does he remind me of?” and then realized he looks exactly like that dude that Oprah was freaking out about who turned out to be completely full of shit.

That’s not to say that the buildasoil videos aren’t worth watching haha. But I can’t do it. Jeremy’s eyes are way too beady for me to deal with haha.

Is there a cut of that going around? I’m so out of the loop. I’ve got two packs of the Black Triangle, I feel like I can probably find something pretty great in there somewhere. It’d be nice to have some local connects with growers in LA, though. I was just talking about that yesterday with my friend Natalie and my girl. I really wish I knew some people in my city who grew, if for no other reason than I just like talking about growing (obviously).

Anyway, sorry to go off about Oprah/Jeremy/beady eyes @iamyou_youareme haha! Listen to @nube and ignore my weird rants haha!

8 Likes

lol, you crack me up. Thanks for the laugh. That’s why I like podcast, I don’t get distracted by weird physical features, haha.

I already have an airlift brewer and all that, might as well use it. I had the best success using EWC and blackstrap, with a little kelp in there. I think it’s easy to get carried away with, as salt guys want to use it as a replacement for fertilizer. I noticed they really liked it applied foliar spray as well…

I think I’d be nice just to have a comparison to what others are growing and where the bar is set. Would be nice to track down that BT cut for sure… I guess you gotta be connected, which I am definitely not, haha. You should definitely try and connect after all the COVID stuff dies down, I’m sure there are plenty of growers in LA that are not all about the hype cookie train, probably just have to find the old heads…

8 Likes

Yeah, adding a little kelp is probably beneficial. When I first started growing, I’d add Neptune’s fish/kelp emulsion. That seemed to work really well. Matter of fact, I think I’ll do that again. Lately I’ve just been doing the compost/molasses thing and haven’t added Neptune’s.

I dunno if you’ve checked out http://microbeorganics.com/ but I think it’s pretty informative. Again, compost teas have kind of fallen out of favor amongst organic growers (and I’ll say this again, too: I think it’s only because Coot came out against them after having advocated for them for years)(Coot knows his shit, but he’s kind of a dickhead)(also, people are kind of sheep), but I think they work. There’s plenty of science and peer-reviewed data that backs it up.

I foliared with compost tea once and didn’t like the way my plants looked afterwards. They didn’t die or wilt or anything, but I wouldn’t foliar with an AACT again. Drenching with it seems like the best way to utilize it, to me.

For sure. I KNOW there are people out in Malibu or Topanga Canyon or WeHo or even right here in the Valley growing some kick-ass weed that are just “old heads,” like you said, keeping to themselves and just doing their thing. That’s kind of what I’m doing haha and I’m not even an old head. Shit, man, there are people on my BLOCK that are definitely growing, way bigger than me, with multiple AC units on their roofs and every time I walk the dogs past their houses, it just REEKS of weed out front. I’m like,”Up your carbon filtration!” haha. And one of my closest friends lives right next door to some grower who has a website and vends to dispensaries. I took a look at the website, wasn’t interested in what he was growing haha. Flavor of the month-type shit.

Anyway, get outta there, dude haha! Fuck the South. Go West.

8 Likes

I was just reading Tim wilson and he says keep it simple. Ewc/compost, molasses, water. He finds it the best. He used to use all the other stuff and humic acid. He says just kiss it. I love kep myself, I’ve been watering with kelp sludge, and it’s been working well.

Really?!?! That’s intriguing. Are those close to hempys? You got my wheels turning.

6 Likes

They’re not really like hempies. I mean I guess similar, but in hempies you water thru the medium and the nutes all drain to the bottom and the plant’s roots just sit in the nute water. Whereas in SIPs, the nutes are all in the dirt and you just add water to a tube that puts it in a rez at the bottom, below the soil. Columns of wicking material (usually just more soil) use a phenomenon called capillary action where water climbs up the wicking column to automatically water the soil the plant’s sitting in above the rez. This keeps the soil a constant wetness level (pretty wet) that the plant learns to regulate itself, much like trees and plants that wick water from the water table in the bedrock below the topsoil.

SIPs are the reason I finally realized that plants in dirt do NOT benefit from a dry cycle, and that organic soil performs best when it’s slightly moist all the time. Yes, there’s some theories of plant steering that involve watering less in parts of the veg & flower cycles, but they don’t have a lot of evidence yet that I’m aware of, so I wouldn’t say they’ve been validated by anything other than anecdotes.

There’s lots of info on OverGrow about SIPs and also on RIU at this thread:

I would strongly encourage everyone to read that whole thread, all 3000+ posts, because there’s a wealth of info that will keep you from making the common mistakes. If you want to DIY, that thread has it all. I posted a build guide for some SIPs that I used not for their growth rates, but for their auto-watering capability when I was out of town for 17 days one time. I fucked up the design and my plants still survived. :wink: And, what’s more, I didn’t have to worry about an auto-watering system springing a leak and flooding my rental home while I was gone!

If you want to buy some SIPs containers, Earthboxes are OK but City Pickers are less expensive and easier to fit in a 4x4. The CPs hold about 2cuft of dirt each so they’re a solid choice for transplanting out of solo cups, vegging up for 2-3wks, and taking your plants all the way to harvest. I think the EBs only hold like 1 or 1.2cuft of dirt, which ain’t bad.

Oh, and if it ain’t obvious, SIPs work best when you grow from clone or from fem seed. If you need to sex regs, grow them in solos then 1 or 2 gal pots to sex before transplanting the females into SIPs.

Hope that helps!

17 Likes

@nube So couldn’t you make a hempy a sip by placing a piece of 2-3” pex to the bottom? Water through the pipe until you have runoff. And could do organic with 5 gallons. Should get you to the end. I have hempy buckets now and am going to try it next grow. More to thwart these damn fungus gnats than anything else!

8 Likes

Working on it :wink: Making a trip out to Portland early June to scope things out…

Thanks, I’ll scope this out too, never been.

Definitely going to check these out. Seems very low maintenance, plus I like the ability to easily cover the top to prevent a bunch of gnats. Couple that with the ability to re-use the soil in them, seems like a win-win. I can always find another use for my blumats.

I’ve been watching the video progression of Jeremy’s plants in the EBs in his 10 x 10… pretty awesome!

You’d definitely have to modify the hempy buckets pretty heavily. I’m sure there is some good info in the RIU thread… just sucks you gotta sift through those 3000 posts!

10 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I’ve been using just EWC/compost and molasses for my teas for the last few years. The most recent AACT I made, I added some OG Biowar, both the Roots and Foliar packs, at 25% the suggested rate (one tablespoon of each, instead of the four Biowar recommends). Who knows if it made a difference? Haha. I didn’t bust out my microscope or anything.

I don’t even own a microscope.

6 Likes

The SIP works based on an air gap. You must have the soil slightly higher than the fill line. This creates a perched water table.

12 Likes

You are a wealth of information, as always my friend. That helps a ton. I’m getting ready to head a whole other direction I believe (kinda).

I just looked and man, that’s only 120 bucks for a 4x4! That’s really not bad imo, but seriously, growth rates to rival Hydro?

Questions off the top of my head. How do you tea? I figure it will go anaerobic if you fill the reservoir with it. Maybe just let it dry a bit, and just add a little? Initial top watering with it when I plant the clones?

Does top dressing do anything, or is this strictly water only? I wouldn’t think thay most of the microbial activity would be near the top with this type of setup.

I can see tons of potential with that type of setup. If you could dial it in, wow, easy.

Edit: like this?
https://www.emscogroup.com/products/lawn-and-garden/grow-products/pickers-grow-boxes/2340d-city-pickers-detail

6 Likes

I’d suggest reading the thread. You can make hempy buckets with wicks, but the most basic form of hempy involves your roots grow thru inert medium to the nutrient water at the bottom. Adding a tube to get the water to the bottom of a hempy won’t work until the roots reach the water level at the bottom, and that’s not the defining characteristic of the SIPs anyway.

SIPs wick up the water and, since it’s just water with no nutes, most of your roots stay in the soil. The capillary action distributing water thru the medium is one of the differences. Like I said, please read the thread.

I don’t do teas, and you could but not down the rez. Only up top. Water only down the tube, but you can topdress. The thread has all the info you’ll ever need! Please read it! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

@nube What are your thoughts on the octopots as a SIP off the shelf system?

6 Likes

@ReikoX Thank you for that information.

6 Likes

Octopots to me are basically just a coco hempy bucket with a higher volume water rez. I think it’s a good idea, but prolly not necessary. I haven’t used one so I can’t say for sure, but doesn’t look bad.

7 Likes

We’ll see how this goes.

12 Likes

That’s my next stop. Thanks sir!

4 Likes

Or y’all can just water your plants haha!!!

3 Likes

Yeah,good job

3 Likes

Spent the weekend making hashish from trim and smalls in the freezer. My girl is very happy to have the freezer space back. I made a small batch of SSDD trim and smalls only, and then another batch of mixed trim and smalls from the last rounds.

Shipment from Speakeasy got here in 5 days, so that’s pretty cool. They take CC too, which is convenient.

23 Likes