Terminator computer - for you foilhats out there

Last time I thought I was being informative and helping the community with a security-themed link, my post got shark tanked, I hope this time this won’t get tanked.

If you are wrapped in foil like me - and couple of my friends, have a look at: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3118264/security/orwl-pc-the-most-secure-home-computer-ever.html

My friend already has one, and I am thinking about replacing my laptop with this.

5 Likes

I get the tech… I really do… but if you’re so foil wrapped, why do you put yourself in situations like social media and online forums that, in some instances, promote illegal practices? I’m honestly meaning no offense, Im enjoying my day off and not looking to get bitey :sunglasses: I just dont understand the tactics of people sometimes…

4 Likes

TBH there are times when I think that I should just move out to the boonies and go completely off the grid…

But internet is like crack.

Also you can browse the internet sites with VPN services and such to get a bit more security.

Just wanted to share this link, that’s all. My friends wife got one for 800 coz she backed them in kickstarter like 1,5 years back, and nowdays they’re like 1600 or something

I was actually expecting you to come here to bite! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

4 Likes

Lol nah… it’s may 4th… I have enough issues today

True about the internet though… I needing for alot but I’ve started backing off it.

I haven’t used Facebook or any social media other than this site for 2 years… much less drama though there isn’t always something going on but at the same time I only see things that peak my interest…

I don’t care about Kim Kardashian fucking cat lol

8 Likes

There is drama here if you just know where to look :wink:

Anyways, about the lil computer, this ORWL, I wish they will make a more powerful version, I could buy one, but I should be able to do video editing on it and the current iteration won’t cut it.

Have a nice May 4th <3

So guys, since it’s Star Wars day today, I’d just like to tell you all… Live Long and Prosper! Pretty sure that Darth Phaser guy says that somewhere in Return of the Sith.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I was gonna screenshot the OP but for tinfoilesque reasons copy and pasting was safer

5 Likes

Well, that device is interesting mostly for the form factor and the keyfob access.

From what it appears, they are trying to control what happens with physical access to the machine. Much of this can be managed by ensuring that your location is physically secure in the first place. Have an untrustworthy “friend” hanging around near your equipment? Your physical security is flawed by default. The more significant problem from a security standpoint will be the software and firmware. Hook this thing up to the network and a software or firmware vulnerability could render all that fancy intrusion detection hardware useless.

If you have someone who bypasses your physical security and is looking for something specific on your computer, has the knowledge to hack into the hardware / bootloader, you probably have some significant issues to deal with. They note PCIe security, for instance. This is a feature built into modern processors (deep in the firmware/bootloader/OS) and it is up to the bootloader to set the appropriate security bits to prevent what amounts to “core debug” access. But, even if this subsystem is set-up insecurely, anyone going through the trouble to use this attack vector is one serious individual indeed.

A regular PC with appropriate external firewalls, internal firewall, software protection tools, firewalled subnets, appropriate data encryption. Add physical security and you’ll have a fairly safe system. Take it off the network if your are extra paranoid (air gap).

Of course, layering security is always a good idea and perhaps this device could be considered another layer in your overall scheme. And, if you have unique needs such as travelling across borders with this thing in tow, maybe this type of intrusion protection could be of some use against the casual hacker / theft. Nothing wrong with having one of these but I think the benefits of having the features of this device will only be useful for rather unique situations.

2 Likes

Yeah, you are right, it is as the comic in the end of the article shows:

9 Likes

Oh, I’d like to interject that I think it’s great that you are thinking about these things. There have been plenty of “conspiracy” theories / tinfoilly things that are no longer just theories. What you are worried about is perfectly rational as long as the action relative to the perceived risk is in a measured amount. It’s those gut feelings that could save you from the future unknowns…

1 Like

Awesome comic. Love it.

1 Like

lol when the ashtray sized computer is better than my laptop :joy: i would probably be better off with a raspberry pi. my laptop only has 2ghz processor, 2gb of ram and 32gb hdd, 10+gb of which is already used by windows

3 Likes

have you ever had a password/login issue? [–> former IT guy]

for utility, that seems like new cars without keys or physical connections linking the steering wheel and front wheels. :older_man:

ding-ding-ding. it took me some months to create a login. when a relative posted a tweet with a photo of my dog(me unknowing), i got pissed & lectured them.
when a CERT detective interrogates you as a teenager, you learn not to play with fire. save that for the martyrdom. :upside_down:

:evergreen_tree:
c.s

1 Like

I’ve got an AMD ryzen 7 1770x 3.4ghz 8 core. 16gb Corsair 2666mhz ddr4. Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060. 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD. Western digital 250gb m2 SSD. Asus strix soar 7.1 sound card. Corsair h80i cooler. Asus prime x3 something or other motherboard. Etc etc.

Does a cracking spreadsheet :wink:

2 Likes

why not just have removable hdd or ssd?
You can get linux distros to run from RAM only, so there is no hdd or ssd to steal / hack
keep your secrets in your head…its the only place they cant control

2 Likes

yeah i’d probably just get a secure drive like this to boot linux from. i already have a regular encrypted 128gb USB stick running whonix and backtrack

1 Like

…i remember from my 20th century comp-sec readings…to really secure a PC is to remove all I/O, encase in mag-shielded concrete 15 ft. deep. it was a serious point, if a silly example.

things that make u go hmm
red phone or black phone today?
:wink:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

^ This
Its known that the NSA have a small program that infects all usb devices plugged into an infected computer
It resides in a tiny hidden partition that is used by the system to enable the plug and play ability

Dont get tooo paranoid :scream: :grinning:

2 Likes

stacksocial has some amazing deals this week for online courses… lots of ethical hacking, computer security, pen testing etc courses for 95+% off, some as low as $1, also programming, mathematics, etc

1 Like