VPNs encryption and such

Anyone have a good VPN they recommend?/encrypted email? Messaging?

4 Likes

If one of your concerns is safely accessing Overgrow, I suggest a VPN AND using Tor browser. In fact, you can start using Tor while you shop for a VPN.

Having said that, it doesnā€™t mean that you canā€™t give your address to someone here on Overgrow that you trust, only to find out they gave it to someone else without your permission - and the person who received it POSTED YOUR ADDRESS right here on Overgrow!!

Yeah, that happenedā€¦giphy-exploding

In other words, you might do everything right, but if you trust the wrong person, it really doesnā€™t matter!

Edit: Iā€™ve used several VPNā€™s, but prefer Nord. They arenā€™t perfect, but they are reasonably priced and work well most of the time.

8 Likes

Nord VPN. Also consider getting a separate wireless router that will just directly connect to said VPN, that way you will always have a ā€˜secureā€™ access point in your house you can switch to, allow streaming and other stuff to go direct.

4 Likes

trust.zone - been rock solid for years !

Mozilla (Firefox browser) always reminds me of their service when an update comes along.

2 Likes

Take a look at protonvpn. Itā€™s free within limits. I use it as a vpn for tubi, crackle and iptv. Unsure if it has email support or messaging support though. :v:

1 Like

ā€¦ you guys know the only thing the VPN does is hide your location right?

The only way it ā€œprotectsā€ your data or password or whathaveyou, is if you like connecting to public wifi networks. Otherwise it does absolutely nothing to protect you and your privacy other than hide your true location.

Sure some VPNā€™s offer network wide adblocking and such, but you donā€™t need a vpn for that. Suppose it does hide what your doing from your ISP, but thereā€™s other ways to do that too, and thatā€™s usually not who youā€™re hiding from. unless you like to torrent. But again, a private tracker would eliminate the need for a vpn there too.

I run a vpn at my home to connect to when im out and about and have to use a public wifi network, just donā€™t get a vpn because you want privacy and believe all the ads. Get it because of other reasons, like torrenting or watching japanese netflix or the public wifi network thing, connecting to sketchy sites, but not just because ā€œprivacyā€ or ā€œit protects my passwordsā€ because it does not inherently do that.

6 Likes

A decent vpn doesnā€™t keep logs. If they are truthful and donā€™t log stuff then your OK. OG Iā€™m sure doesnā€™t log stuff. Iā€™m UK and if anyone should be afraid their location is logged itā€™s me. I have faith in OG, @LemonadeJoe and the team that Iā€™m safe.
A cannabis side effect is paranoia.

How does the saying go? Just because youā€™re paranoid doesnā€™t mean they arenā€™t after you. :unamused:

2 Likes

Nord VPN is what I use when I need it. I think I got it on sale for a 2 year package.

1 Like

But thatā€™s the weed talking :rofl:
I understand people need to be careful and be as vague as possible but your just likely to be caught from the smell than you would on a forum unless you give your personal details out.

2 Likes

Spot on! Vpnā€™s as well as tor work by nodes, they send the message from one node to another, so on every node info exchange where it comes the message is the node itself, but as you may see with this system is that you can trace back to the first node and then your IP! I work on the field, and I can assure you that there is no 100% privacy on the net, if you want the 100%, unplug the wifi! The best protection its to not be noisy and expose a lot on the net, that works everytime!, Tho also a vpn is always recommended for browsing, but it wont hide much, if someone is willing to track you, he will get to you sooner or later

5 Likes

Exactly, the most common way of getting caught usually is either a snitch, or you snitching on yourself with bigass plants or powerful odors

2 Likes

Oh and also, if you are going to get a vpn, get it from europe, europe GDPRs are really good, but again, if nordvpn i.e wants it, he knows every sketchy site you visited

2 Likes

TOR can be defeated by close surveillance of entry and exit nodes. Itā€™s still a worthy tool for the individual, but the brutal, honest truth is that quantum computing has or will soon completely eliminate the utility of conventional encryption.

It is a game changer in terms of ethical application of new technologies.

Simply put, any nation state with the ability to utilize quantum computers can overcome conventional encryption. There are no secrets.

Folks will argue with this statement, but to those who know, the understanding that we are standing at the edge of a major shift in what is possible and impossible due to quantum mechanics, is frightening and inescapable.

I had the pleasure of speaking with the author of this article recently, and my eyes were opened very wide.

6 Likes

1000.000% donā€™t big yourself up. Donā€™t let anyone know whatā€™s going on.
I sell most of my stuff. No one knows anything until its dried out other than on here but thatā€™s me trying to help our members. :v:

1 Like

I found Express VPN to be really good. Costā€™s a bit more but works well.

1 Like

Is there an irc protocol that allows you to surf the web? I would assume THAT and tor/vpn would work.

Anonymously enter irc network, browse through irc protocol.

Do all that and run the whole thing in a Linux virtual system with spoofed info, :nerd_face:.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

I like hotspot shield best myself for vpn

Nop, IRC its a chat protocol itself, so nop, also a protocol in the end its just some instructions to connect and communicate with a specific port on the device, i.e, when you go on the web you are using HTTP/S, for the mail SMTP, etc

Tho the most safe OS is tails, but again, if you dont understans the technology behind those mechanisms you may be fucking up more than hiding

1 Like