The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

I thought that could happen. I think its likely from your pollination. I almost always get more seeds than i think, but If you see stripes on the seeds, they are hybrid.
The small blackseed Oaxaca beans are nearly impossible to spot looking at the buds, but the calyx yellows up to give a clue once the seed is done. I almost always end up smoking some. I squeeze any extra plump calyxes to check for seeds. Like @medmanbrand says, typically look for bigger calyxes…but not with the pearl Oaxaca. Normal looking calyxes can contain a seed.

10 Likes

Werd

I’ve squeezed alot of massive calyxes this fall already and no seeds

Remember. Each on can equal a seed. If you actually count the amount in a lower bud or top flower it could be tens to hundreds on 1 branch

mm

1 Like

Do you have a reference for seed marking indicating indica genes? I’ve heard that before, but I’ve seen “pure sativas” with marbling, hybrids that are smooth and gray or brown, Afghani 1 with no markings, etc. so I’m not sure if it’s “Bro Science” or not. I just tried doing a search on Google scholar but can’t seem to find anything helpful.

3 Likes

I have opened a few calyxes that are hollow with little very little black thing and a few times yellow. A lot of the bracts turned yellow/brown they have what looks like pistils can they make seed or no? I did not know that solid colored seeds are landrace but striped are hybrid or is it sativas are solid and indicas stripped?

2 Likes

@Papalag y @Upstate

Amnesia Haze x Choc rain……Latest

Four weeks since flip after 45 days Veg.

Three sisters not so lanky now,side branches making her bushy.

They’re like stretched nearly three times…and still going but slowing down.

There seems to be a small medium and large LOL

P J

23 Likes

So looks like I made a few magic beans myself then. This is Oaxacan x red snake hit with Jo pollen from @Upstate so :crossed_fingers:

Will add pics later just went to upload and saw I was blocking the sun so couldn’t see anything lol.

7 Likes

Some kind of lunar eclipse?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I read about the stripes, or should I say lack thereof in an old 70’s era marijuana grow book where seeds were described in some detail. It mentioned how stripes indicate hybridization. So I started paying attention. Now I’ve seen it too. I pulled out 150 or so landraces to look at one day to confirm. There were a half dozen that I knew or that were suspected to be hybrids. All of these seeds were striped. No others were. Since then i must have gotten 150 more landraces, and with my increased knowledge before purchasing, I feel confident nearly all are pure. None are striped. Ibls lose their stripes. Outcrossing similar but different landraces produces stripes sometimes, quite possibly depending upon the degree of relation in some cases. I’ve seen stripes on Southeast Asian. Goroka Highland is an old 1950’s Thai landrace and it is striped. No outcrossing either that I am aware, so its not definitive. This region seems to be an exception. Afghan can be striped, the likely reason being the constant seed swapping/ moving around between regions, like here. My old Afghan has no stripes. Peshawar has none. Sometimes speckles are seen. This is ok. Jamaican has speckles for instance and wild seeds are speckled for camo. Short lines are found on some seeds. This doesn’t seem to indicate outcrossing, but I’m not sure. Many Sativa× Sativa hybrids are not striped. I can’t think of any I made that have them, and there are many, many of them. Well over 100. I haven’t used much from Southeast Asia yet…and haven’t dabbled much with Indicas. When I do, my seeds will get stripes. Guaranteed.

13 Likes

Oaxaca pollen😁. “Jo” is my keeper Peshawar plant

1 Like

The feral hemp I’ve seen in Minnesota always has large black seeds. I’ve thought about collecting them. It has been growing wild for over 100 years. At this point it is basically a local landrace.

3 Likes

I thought you said you sent Jo pollen :joy::joy:. Guess I need to reread my old dm’s just to know what I’m growing :joy::joy::exploding_head::eye:‍:left_speech_bubble:

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that.My condoleances for the loss of your dog.:broken_heart::candle::dog:

4 Likes

You did well in vegging them. I did not and I ended up with about 23 grams per plant of a very high quality plant of a very terpene rich profile of raspberry with other interesting notes of passion fruit, cherry, and on one of them, the raspberry was so strong that it was more like raspberry syrup. That one plant seemed to benefit from a better and much slower drying process as it was the bushiest and leafiest and that seemed to preserve much more that flavor and smell profile of the raspberry possibly even enhacend by what seemed to be a sweat to dry cycle that was produced by the fairly wide range in relative humidity (from 40% to 70%).

Yours are going to be special. I can tell. They look strong.

These plants need to be vegged. Lesson learned.

12 Likes

Interesting thoughts! I never put much weight into the stripes since they seem to rub off anyways if I mess with the seeds too much. I always used them as an indicator of seed ripeness. We need to find a study on the stripes!!

2 Likes

17 Likes

Whaa…that’s incredible.

Volcan …Chiriqui ….is where I grow…and live in the slopes of Volcan Baru
…well it’s the biggest town nearest me.

Pretty incredible.

P JDSC02104

23 Likes

That might be a much better option for breeding than something like ruderalis. Bigger buds, bigger plants, early finishing…and of course, local resistance

5 Likes

Is that mountain so tall that there is a tree line?

3 Likes

No …at the top when you look down there are 4 or five Calderas…which kind of make up the peaks…on the climb to the peak you also go through five climate zones.it’s a national park and part of the TALAMANICA mountain range……

Chiriqui back in the day was part of Costa Rica,…Connection.

I’m loving that old sack foto…

Always told you all about the Talamanica weed.

P J …

7 Likes

6 Likes