The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

I’m gonna try that. I’ve gotta look into a reverse osmosis system. I found the coop poop on amazon. I’ll order it now.

3 Likes

Some towns outlaw chloramine, but not many. I’m sure you could find out if it’s in there. Bubbling will work just fine on regular chlorine

2 Likes

Just looked it up. Southern California does indeed use chloramine to disinfect drinking water.

3 Likes

I bet you have water stores or stations where you can fill RO water into the 5 gallon bottle type containers? I lived in West Texas for a bit and that’s a way of life. It’s pretty cheap when you have your own bottles (which they sell filled up). Then you have to make sure you’re somehow replacing some of the minerals back into your system. Not that big a deal though.

5 Likes

Yeah, I remember those water fill stations. I think we’ve got one here close to us. Not a bad idea.

3 Likes

I was big into home brewing beer when I lived there and it takes a lot of water. Most houses there have an RO system installed house wise or just under the kitchen sink… Seems like it was around $0.25 a gal. or less…

4 Likes

@Upstate Back in 2014 I worked on a reality show called, “Building Wild” for National Geographic where these guys went to Jackson NY to work on building a hunting cabin for a dude and his buddies. They go to his over farm and tear down an over 100 year old barn to salvage the lumber and beams to build it. The camera crew told me behind the scenes that the dude grows weed on his farm as well and would get high with him. Looked like an awesome place to live. Just wondered if this place is anything like where you live. Just a beautiful part of the country.

I was one of the editors by the way. Season 1 episode 1 for anyone that wants to watch it. I believe it’s called, “The Dirty Dozen”

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6nma5a

7 Likes

I love mexi line !!!

1 Like

The water from the dehumifier could serve?

The only option I have is go to a mountain fountain…
But if it is better for the family then…

Happy growings!

1 Like

I’m looking into installing a Culligan Water Whole House RO System. That should cover all my hard water and chloramine/chlorine problems. I see the hard water minerals building up on my expensive bonsai pots and can’t stand that I shower with that.

5 Likes

Don’t! It’s often rife with mold spores you do not want involved in your plants.

Dehumidifier water = non-edibles only.

5 Likes

I’ve been using my dehu water for almost 2 years and didn’t notice anything, where those spores would come from in an indoor grow? icon_e_confused|nullxnull

8 Likes

@Upstate
ive got half on castings and the other half on a towel and will go into sterilized soil after a couple days. Do you wait for tail then plant into soil?

@HumblePie420 looks like they will take off with the up pot!

Good call on the chloramine upstate I didn’t realize that doesn’t dissipate… I have some rain water for now but it won’t last long in So Cal!

4 Likes

I believe RO water has it’s own problems. I have to use pretty crappy tap water too. But when I try to use RO water I have issues.

6 Likes

Depending what your RO water is mine is 0 ppm and ph 6.3 no issues here.

4 Likes

What kind of issues fellow grower? I’d hate to go too far down a road only to regret it.

3 Likes

Yeah, Ive always had to remineralize or pre-charge R/O water with rock dust
R/O pulls the minerals and food out of your soil.

10 Likes

RO water that isn’t remineralized is gonna pull nutrients out of the soil by osmosis. If you water till runoff, reuse the runoff water

8 Likes

The dehumidifier water poses a danger to humans or pets thanks to the potential bacteria, mold, or trace metals that may be present, the same risks do not apply to the plants themselves but I’ve been warned by several folk to not use it on plants you are consuming.

I hate emptying the thing so I have it dumping the water into a reservoir via a garden hose I use to water the houseplants. :v:

4 Likes

I hope vaper high temperatures will kill any remnant spores in my buds :sweat_smile:, seriously, I’ve got a 30 liter can outside the tent with a pump to take my water out to the jerrycans I water with.

I water plants after adding nutes and bubbling them, pH 6.4, saves me from carrying upstairs 10 liter cans :sweat: and my plants seem to enjoy, perfect solution at least for me … beer3|nullxnull

5 Likes