The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

Elchischas has been in the game for a long time, and props for his preservation work but I would say we should allow for questions and skepticism in our interactions, iron sharpens iron, isn’t it so?

5 Likes

Interesting right? I bet they skinny up. Pretty sure the repro plants looked the same, but Nanaan Bouclou was an f1, Colorado Sativas made f2’s and these are f3’s…I’m surprised there isn’t more variation. Maybe someone worked the line before Colorado got to it?

5 Likes

I’m confident @Elchischas has more experience than 98% of us here. He’s seen it all and done most of it in far less safe conditions. Some deference is in order.

9 Likes

Bright and sunny looking picture there with your seedlings @Panamajock, they look so nice! Massive respect to @YoBigdaddy and everyone else involved with the reproduction. Stewarding these rare lines for future generations to enjoy is a sacred thing!

@royal considering the genetics I think the leaflets will start to become thinner as more terrestrial plant mass develops. Some long flowering thin leaf types seem to be able to express fatter looking leaflets as seedlings and as more terrestrial growth develops the leaf morphology begins to change. My thought is that it’s maximizing it’s ability to photosynthesize with the larger leaflet morphology while it’s able to. Once leaf surface temperature or light obstruction within the canopy start to become an issue, with respect to most efficiently photosynthesizing, the morphology accommodates by increasing surface area of the leaf edges to influence it’s boundary layer characteristics. Also changing the ability of light to penetrate into the canopy. The dance of the plant trying to work as much as it can without overheating so to speak.

It would be so cool to know more about the ancient breeding of these lines. How and from where the unique traits came from. Many blessings and much love

6 Likes

thanks for the words brother something strange maybe happening with the forum server I don’t usually delete opinions or photos I don’t like blocking or anything either. I am a believer in free expression and that we express what we do not consider correct

I don’t have a bad opinion of anyone here
I like the vibe here.
Nowhere else have I felt so understood about landraces like here
I appreciate being part of this.
I also hope to soon be able to return to farming fully and be able to collaborate here.

20 Likes

It really makes me very happy that there are so many growers here with the interest of preserving landraces. many years ago no one cared To be honest, so many things were lost because no one imagined that they could become extinct. We were all so busy wanting to grow hybrids that we thought landraces would be there forever. That’s why a group like this is very important. to leave a legacy for the future and that the genetic pool of cannabis never disappears in the world and most importantly, educate those who know the least about its importance.

21 Likes

without a doubt - I’ve seen loads of plants go from fatter to thinner leaves
Expressing surprise as I ran PNG a few years ago - one of my all-time favourites.
Started thin and just got thinner over time.

From this

to this

15 Likes

Very wise words …yes a great group with some great people…and Ive certainly been educated since I first joined the thread.

Great community…ye let’s preserve.

P J

P

17 Likes

With your experience and our interest this can go a long ways. Far too much has been lost to not keep what we have left or can find. I have wondered what it would be like introduce yourself to someone in the country and compliment them on their grows and see where the conversation goes. You can never guess what you can find.

Thanx for posting.

7 Likes

Life is always Presenting challenges to overcome.

Lineated Woodpecker…

( found in eastern and southern Costa Rica south to western Colombia and east to Trinidad, the Guianas and northeastern and eastern Brazil )

Have a nice day

P J

14 Likes

Amen…. I truly believe that you guys are doing Gods work here. Doing my part yet in another aspect but preserving these lines is absolutely essential to the future of cannabis imho

7 Likes

Haha good call, respect brother

3 Likes

Good ol Cali-forn-i-a, in the sierra nevada foothills. Pretty dry around these parts, and we rarely get snow before christmas. Our biggest enemy is usually the wind. It’s no wonder haze was made in cali haha

4 Likes

Here’s ny’s version. My wife and I love to see these, But they are shy and don’t normally let you get too close. They look awfully similar to yours. The ivory billed woodpecker, a close possibility extinct relative. Once graced the swamps and backwaters of the Southern United States , and was probably an intermediate species to the one you have.

12 Likes

Well said brother.

4 Likes

I think the leaves become smaller to allow better air flow So the flowers don’t rot. Branches extend to push flowers above the surrounding vegetation so pollen can more easily hit it’s target and to keep the growing tips in the sun and dry.
Some say the larger original fan leaves denote long domestication, or ancinent indica lineage.

5 Likes

They must have, my three last season were also very identical

1 Like

Oh yes…there down in Brazil and the Caribbean too.

Ye bit like Cannabis they spread there wings and seeds and populate areas of the world.

Birds are a love of mine as well as cultivation of the herb…especially Raptors. and woodpeckers LOL

P J

7 Likes

Very well said sir. I started my journey here with the help of @Upstate and Oaxaca. I thought no Mexican varieties existed anymore and many don’t but he sent me some and I haven’t grown but 2 hybrids since, at least two years. Since then I’ve grown things I didn’t know existed and my infatuation with landraces has become an obsession. Interacting with the folks here has been a priceless education unobtainable anywhere else as well as a real feeling of community.

16 Likes

Agreed 100%, I was just playing devil’s advocate to say open & free discussion can be a good thing

8 Likes