The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

Here the three shorty Oaxacan from Deez…

I also have a lovely O’79 x Malawi going from a kind friend on ICMag…really nice plant with delicate aromas.

25 Likes

Nice grow you got going on there T T.

Particularly like the 079.x Malawi …hermosa.

Good luck

P J

7 Likes

That’s nice plant…Ace just released the Oaxaca79 x A5 haze

8 Likes

I wish more breeders would cross landraces to original haze instead of NL5xhaze (the landracer in me says why not keep 'em pure and not cross at all ---- but, perhaps it’s the gateway to pique the curiosity & potentially convert new landracers ?). I find the NL5 diminishes the effect/creates a ceiling relative to the pure sativas,like putting on a weighted blanket.

5 Likes

I dig it man. When you “wrap” it around the structure you leave all branches and leaves on as well? Looks like you just taped all around together.

2 Likes

Similar thoughts here @420noob as I planned the heirlooms training needs.
Get the height established and wrap the main…

10 Likes

What kind of support is that.

2 Likes

Some Garden support that I came across… once the plant was shaped, support was removed for ease of access

18 Likes

I got the same cross of Oaxaca 79 x Malawi
The yours came from Spain?

8 Likes

Yes indeed! From the gentleman who selected the original O’79 plant for Charlie Garcia is my understanding…he says this Malawi Gold is a different line than the Afropips or the ones Ace has.

9 Likes

He is my very old friend.
This is curious, he do not share seeds often
But i’m happy for you
That Malawi its from a the old bank
“Green hornet”

11 Likes

Thanks I’ll keep an eye out for something suitable or just bend some metal like @Arbac did.
Should I wait for seeds to dry before mailing?

2 Likes

Very nice. I have a Oaxaca x Malawi cross in the works myself with different lines. I’ll be interested to hear how yours turns out. Looking good so far.
Here’s some Chiapas Pakistani nugs. Not going to be much to smoke, but I’ll get a taste :yum:.

The last Guadalajara plant should be sexed soon. It’s looking like a female to me. I sure hope so, or the 3 new Mexi strains will be a bust. Guadalajara is likely the only pure one. Traditional Oaxaca looks contaminated to me…but I’ll defer to @Elchischas for the final answer. Male flower clusters are really tight for a Sativa. Maybe it’s possible to get such nice male flowers with good breeding practices, but my guess is the line was outcrossed at some point in the past. I hate wasting time, space and energy on mutts, unless of the furry variety. Picture of Oaxaca males coming soon.

17 Likes

Hi guys a wee question?

Is MALAWI GOLD and MULANGE GOLD the same strain ,I know mulange gold from southern Malawi…

Just interested.

TIA

P J

6 Likes

Leave the branches loose, although you can also guide them. At the moment of bending the main stem, the plant began to close its branches, like a mimosa does, although clearly at a slower speed, they are thin stems, over the days it has been opening its branches and leaves.

17 Likes

Or as a community effort create a library of landrace varieties. Keep em pure. If you want to access the library you have to pay it forward. Donations must be validated in some fashion, withdrawals are restricted to those who have previously contributed. etc.

Maybe this has already been tried?

Personally, I would want to x breed with a pure strain to keep the variables down.

3 Likes

My criteria to differentiate a pure sativa from something that is already contaminated is very strict. The Oaxacan and Chiapas seeds are clearly hybrid plants. I think it’s not worth bothering with them anymore. Obtaining pure Oaxaqueñas nowadays is a very complicated task, to this day I don’t know anyone who has achieved it. I have a great friend there in the mountains and she tells me that finding the old lines of Oaxaca is very complicated. The pure Oaxacan today is worth like pure gold

14 Likes

Anyone have good luck growing the RcCola Copatitas?

They seem more like the old Oaxaca…?

2 Likes

Malawi Gold from Ace is from old “African Seeds”

Mulange is out of Malberry Seeds also from Malawi

Vermontman over @ icmag works with it for years…crossed to federation Hawaiian

That’s the first place I heard raves about the Mulanje

Ethiopian Highland Ace has…is also from African Seeds…very lanky long flower sativa

3 Likes

Latest @YoBigdaddy s Nanan Boo Boo

4 weeks today …out in the sun.

P J

13 Likes