The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

You’re doing it brother. You should get a bunch. Try wax paper. Works great

6 Likes

These are snowhigh. Not sure about the others. I just know the Guerrero green pheno was male and Michoacán females (green, purple, brown phenos)

I got a couple red sap bleeders in the first pack which was cool as well but I haven’t been able to see if that train carried over yet.

6 Likes

The pollen sacs I plucked I put in a small Tupperware with the sacs and all. Do I need to separate the sacs from the pollen to store? Do I need to dry the pollen? Any other tips to collect pollen and pollen sacs and storage would be helpful thanks y’all.

3 Likes

I sent you a pollen message @420noob

5 Likes

Those shiny silver foxtails look amazing man, and mango is always a favorite becoming less common :pray:

Please elaborate! I have always been pretty lousy at collecting pollen; especially when compared to the mountains of yellow snow peep’s like @DougDawson collects, so what’s the secret?

7 Likes

7 Likes

No secret, I post my collection method in each of my seed run threads. But there are many methods, mine is just what works for me.

8 Likes

Mr Greengenes of Cherry Bomb fame collects pollen with a bottle top glued to a chopstick. He just taps the pollen clusters. I leave my males out in the sun and collect by using a piece of aluminum foil downwind of the clusters and then tapping them.

8 Likes

Awesome, thanks!

3 Likes

@420noob ( thanks for linking that) lives in the desert, so I left out the part about how to dry pollen in a humid area. @slain I ordered a small battery powered hand size dehumidifier online pretty cheap. It would go in a Tupperware with the pollen. I haven’t had to use it because I run a woodstove and my house is dry during winter. I put the pollen on my mantle a couple days and I’m good. This summer I’ll test it out.

6 Likes

Lol not a big problem here lol.

12 Likes

I thought it was bad here, but you’ve got it twice as bad as I do! I prefer it dry though, because IPM is simpler.

4 Likes

Nice @rasterman! I’ll be eager to see what you find. They’ll do great outdoors and in ground. Here is a pic of the mother of those seeds. Chunkier fluffy flowers. Smells are subtle but have a nice incense like aroma with a slight sweet fruit (berry maybe?) at the end.

Nice work weed, unless you indulge a bit much then it’s more like “crap, why am I in this room” or “crap, I’m out here and forgot to bring the right tools”. Similar to getting old but more fun!

23 Likes

Cool, thanks, I’ll read back through your grows🙏

1 Like

10%!!! Holy shit bro! Ever thought of leaving a tray or two of water in the tent?

1 Like

:rofl::joy::rofl:you nailed it lol. Great for work unless you take that extra toke you knew you didn’t need lol
"Where’s that dang pencil??!! Oh, here it is. Who took my tape measure?":thinking:

6 Likes

I hope it’s got double mint, because it looks like I’ll be having twice the fun! :older_man:

She’s beautiful - much thicker than the stealthy Pearl Stem. I’ll have to rethink my cultivation plans. I can still put a couple in the ground but more in pots. :rofl:

The Pearl Stem and Red Snake clones are struggling. I think I poisoned them when I planted them but they’ll pull out of it. That’s why I haven’t posted on them. Soon I’ll post pictures of bushes in pots.

The Mother Who Didn’t Die, died. I saw some tiny leaves and started bringing her in for the night but she was done. However, her clone is in the ground in a place my wife named Fruit Island. We have gophers - they eat everything - and we’ve even made up some tricks.

Fruit Island is a pit about 20’ deep and 45’ in diameter, filled with bark. 15 years on, I can certify that it’s absolutely, :100:%, gopher-proof. And MWDD is in the very center. I think that’s where most of these new ladies will be situated.

6 Likes

That’s smart. The tunnels collapse on them or some other reason they don’t go in?
@420noob wow, that’s dry. Below 30 or 40% seems dry to me.

4 Likes

I have seen plenty of discussion about ‘drying’ pollen. I live in So. Cal which everyone knows was a desert. And although I have made lots of seeds I have never dried any pollen. Is this something you need to do when you live somewhere humid or damp?

I use the method I posted above and often will take my brush with me and go pollinate flowers straight off the males. Seems to work for me. I figure outside in fields there probably isn’t much pollen drying going on.

4 Likes

I don’t really know, but I hope they just hate the feeling of sawdust in their mouth and it clumps up too much. :face_vomiting::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes