The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

@Upstate @Papalag

Upstates Oxacan x chocolate rain

Some plants outside getting the rays.

All well. Some pre flower going on.!

Have a nice day

P J

IMG_2903|690x458

21 Likes

Very nice! I see the tall and short phenotypes represented

7 Likes

Ye there are two phenos there .

Tell you what ā€¦they are real healthy plantsā€¦Iā€™m observing the growth, pretty impressive.

In a way I seem to be the Guinea pig in this grow, as Paps said.

Well all I can report is ā€¦so far so goodā€¦

P J

8 Likes

They sure are happy and healthy

The cr mom was a big girl lol

Beautiful work

4 Likes

2nd pic down is a tall stretchy pheno I think. Looks like Silversides leaves

2 Likes

The only cross with the Oaxaca I ended up with (minus males) was to a lemon Thai and it looks just like that. I thought they would bring more sativa look, but no. Iā€™m not good with knowing about breeding and understanding dominant and recessive traits. I had two others that turned out to be male so I dumped them for now.

I finally have Chocolate Rain thanks to @saxo, and @Islayhearts, and I did get that tribute from @Zanzibar with Choco Rain/Amnesia. I want to get to them both as fast as I can because I never could get the seeds after they sold out from @eskobar and Sannie, and Iā€™ve still never grown any of the CR or Amnee. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :smile:

Oh man, Iā€™d like to run those Chucyā€™s Bride again. @BeachBud made some f3ā€™s and the last plant I grew was so cool. Very photogenic plus good tasty smoke and high yield. I see BB has an account, is he around here? Iā€™ve been thinking about him a lot and was intending to email him. Hope he ends up over here with the rest of us nuts! :man_farmer: :v:

9 Likes

Soā€¦ Whatā€™s this chocolate rain yā€™all speak of? Thanks

4 Likes

Chocolate Rain by Eskobar Seeds is a flavorful mashup of exceptional genetic stock from two exceptional breeders. An indica-dominant hybrid cross of DNA Geneticsā€™ Chocolope and DJ Shortā€™s Cocoa Kush, this twice-deep chocolate pairing emits a bittersweet cocoa aroma with touches of blueberry and floral Kush notes on the finish. The strainā€™s effects are balanced, offering happy, relaxing mental and physical effects that arenā€™t overwhelming. Chocolate Rain has a decent yield and an average 9 to 10 week flowering period.

Which has been crossed with upstateā€™s Oxacanā€¦I believe this is the first cross?

Thatā€™s all I know ā€¦genetics or not they are fine looking young specimens.

P J

10 Likes

Oooh! Yeah buddy thatā€™s gonna be really nice :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads up although Iā€™m well to aware of this.:sob: I just had to plant 3 new autos because I drowned 3 a week ago in the plugs. I donā€™t like them I have great luck with the rapid rooters though.

Plus 2 Oaxacan outside in solos

12 Likes

hmm,didnĀ“t know BB has an account here too. looks like,he didnĀ“t post much yet.

3 Likes

@Upstate so the ā€œcoyacanā€ is a true F1 hybrid :slight_smile: those are some nice looking buds

2 Likes

@drgreensleeves I donā€™t know what youā€™d call it. I inbred my Coyote for 20 years and combined it with another strain called Candy that I had almost 30 years.
I grew my strains so many years, after combining them I separated them again in just one generation.,knowing exactly which plants to use. I sent the Coyote pheno to @George, who then was guided by the universe( accidental pollination lol)to pollinate Coyote (Candy)with Oaxacan = Coyacan
All I know is that my uncles 75 Afghan is heavily represented in the offspring. He made seeds from 1975-1998 and I made seed 1998-2019, So itā€™s a
very old ibl. ( and my cousins have grown one lineage from 2017- present) The Afghan structure is very dominant, it appears. The Afghan was selected towards a Sativa high and mold resistance ( anyone surprised?) by me. When I got it, until 2009-11 or so, there were KO phenos, but they are rare now. I have some older seeds that probably still have a good portion of ko phenos. Iā€™ll break them out someday.
Itā€™s going to be awesome mixed with Sativas to make them smaller without ruining or effecting the high. Thatā€™s in the future, but George gave me a glimpse of what will be. Iā€™m going to pop 3 seeds from him this upcoming moon.
@George still an Uppity high after curing? Hash taste?
@420noob looking good! You are in for a treat! What size plants are you looking to harvest?

13 Likes

Itā€™s definitely one of the first being grown. OST was the first. That received very high marks from both growers. Thereā€™s some OaxacaƗ Peshawar being grown, And iā€™ve made twenty or thirty hybrids with Oaxaca too, just havenā€™t grown them yet.

8 Likes

Chocoaxacan! heh, heh. Raspberry turpentine catpiss! :grin: :v:

7 Likes

i am ok with this statement, however, dont take this 5 generations heavy bottlenecked Jamaican (i think they took one male and one Female each generation) as a rule of thumb for any Heirloom. This line was also held in a Jamaican Garden with few individuals for many yearsā€¦

I say the same, bottlenecking, or growing in foreign enviroment can make the high LESS FRESH, LESS BRILLIANT, LESS BRIGHT. And with it less powerfull.
And the alternative of growing 2023 Landrace collected at origin for me had a hectic, agressive, and also weak effect (if smoked couple times it became weak).

I personally preffere seldon bottlenecked 70s collected Landrace i think.

2 Likes

The Lambsbread is f7-f9 I think. Iā€™m at f11 if that is true. I agree in general that they donā€™t have to lose their magic but itā€™s pretty common. Out crossing produces potency. Inbreeding reduces it. Not that it gets rid of it, just that it becomes less common. If I make an f1, many of the plants that generation will have potency. But think of old timerā€™s haze. Great in a hybrid but not super potent alone anymore. Thereā€™s always exceptions and sometimes breeders get lucky and pick the right plants every time. I think this is why landraces topped out at about eleven percent thc on averageā€¦while hybrids go above 30%

8 Likes

Itā€™s the first time that my noob skills reward me with something really interesting :crazy_face:, Iā€™m willing to see it freely grow outside under your guidance, now itā€™s more cured and I will give it a try tonight and tell you, thanks for sharing ā€¦ beer3|nullxnull

19 Likes

reduced potency has nothing to do with inbreedingā€¦ but with inbreeding DEPRESSION.

Dont forget that inbreeding Depression isnt a law that applies to inbreeding always. It has nothing to do with itā€¦ The depression comes from small numbers of parents usedā€¦

Im aslo unshure about your THC measurements. I said unshureā€¦ Look, how many people breed old Thai Strains, the closest to the real deal on OG ? one person? two ? zero?
So, how can you compare one, two or even zero attemts to 10000000 million Hybrid-Attemts in gaining a high number on a paper.
On the other hand probably hybridisation can lead to stupid rises of a single traitā€¦wich means few to most of conaisseurs on OG. But thats mostly specualtionā€¦
?? does it ? anyone compared it?

4 Likes

I think an important question is, how many people are growing 100-200 of the landrace lines to select for potency? It seems most hobbyist donā€™t go above 12 for one particular line.

4 Likes