The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

Yes,
In order for the Potency to not be ruined by inbreeding Depression along the Way in a pointless thc-measurement battle, the breeder of a Landrace would have to run 2000s Plants per generation while selecting for THC Values…

I dont think many people on this planet did that…

1 Like

Landrace varieties have been grown for hundreds or thousands of years in one place and some keep getting better every year and some don’t. Environmental conditions or selection from farmers who knows why. I’ve seen 1st generation seeds out of Afghanistan test at 25% THC

3 Likes

Congrats on heading down that Path Gentlemen !!!

1 Like

Well - I wouldn’t say THC is necessarily the greatest measure of potency - one could argue there are other variables at play in the plant’s composition that can contribute to the overall impact - the entourage effect if you will, the sum total of ingredients

You’re right though, thousands need to be able to be sown at any given time for true genetic diversity to be able to express. Cannabis would need to be reclassified like hops or some other change in order to facilitate true genetic preservation.

1 Like

@George, I was scrolling upwards and knew that was your nugget before your name showed. Its truly unique!
I hope it dazzles you with its heritage.
Here’s to Coyacan

3 Likes

I think we might be forgetting that before modern times cannabis was always grown in large fields with thousands of plants. At some point a very stoned and tuned in farmer decided to start collecting seeds from his most potent plants and the rest is history

1 Like

so how do we turn back the hands of time?

25 Percent - such numbers i heard too, but upstate thinks there might been hybridisation in afghanistan itselve. so, if that was the case its not a fair counterargument.

but yeah, i myseve just heard that cannbis was primarly used for spiritual purposes quiet often, people wanted to quote: talk to the spirits. quote-

and for medical purposes too… in my biased interpretation they werent interested in Resindripping Plants… so, thats why … right?

1 Like

I think resin is exactly what they were interested in when growing for smoking hash or flowers. They also had varieties for seed and fiber. Sometimes they were all in one Food,Fiber,Seed,Medicine and sometimes they had separate varieties for each need.

1 Like

But never were Landrace Folks interested SOLEY in Resin…

A rule for Breeding says, that if you select fo one Trait (Resin per example) that all other Traits are very hard to keep upright… Thats why our Food-plants are said to taste like shit compared to old Strains by the way, because professional BReeders have troubles keeping the traits for taste when Yeald is the NR1 importance factor…
Im shure they would , if they could, but even they fail…

So, yeah, i think even Hashplantlovers DID INFACT select for more traits than just THC and Resin. Alltho they probably got a bit lost, as their Aghani is said to not have the richest of flavours, and is described sometimes as smelling like old socks…
but hey, atleast the effect is quiet good, even smoked the flowers instead the Hash. i can tell…
Yes they had a Focus on Resin i guess… but not for ANY IMAGINABLE PRICE… the effect is quiet remarkable.

the Effect however of modern 30 percent Strains is nothing else than garbage for me ( IMHO )

3 Likes

So I think in the beginning sticky smelly plants just naturally attracted the humans encountering them. Especially when we learned that they get you high. People unfortunately mistake resin with potency and quality today. Back in ancient times when you were walking through a field of mostly hempy wild plants the odd resinous plant or two might get your attention. But I think it’s been taken way too far by modern breeders

3 Likes

i would advice to listen to scientific Statements, and studies and learn from it, or listen to your Feelings how you think one preserves a Strain. I already made a Thread about exactly this question, how do we stop Degradation…

• Stop inbreeding Depression
  • Stop unwanted Adaption to foreign Climate
  • stop unwanted reversing back to the prime State of Cannbis wich was weak like Hemp (2 percent Thc), by selective pressure.

2000 plants per Gen. - at origin Climate - slight selection. Thats how you preserve one single Strain imho -

3 Likes

Nice job George…looks yummy!

Disfrutar.

P J

5 Likes

my 2 outside Oaxacan 4 days above ground and eating up that 91° sun folks! Hopefully they hang in there for the 110°+ days :crossed_fingers:

16 Likes

Not much bothers them. Very sturdy stock. Best vibes on the grow. :v:

5 Likes

I am doing another Mexican run. All of these are Mexican genetics. I have one cutting of the AllStar, 6 Zacatecas seedlings, and 3 THmex from Kushyman. Mexican seedlings.

22 Likes

It’s mostly just about the ability to play the numbers game on big selections I think, we are limited in how far we can cast the net to capture the defining traits of a given generation and so it’s uber difficult to keep lines on the up instead of in decline. That and we still don’t even have defined traits, let alone the underlying understanding of the genetics process we are trying to work towards! ‘I.e. Smells like berries’ is not a trait, it’s a probably a collection of dozens of traits that combine to create ‘berries’, any single one may be dominant, recessive, additive, over dominant, rely on epistatic interactions etc. It’s also dependent on completely invisible biosynthesis pathways for the terpene/canabinoid pre cursors and these too all have a genetic basis!

With the tools we have available I.e. suck it and see, It’s mostly vague and based on intuition and memory of the last generation, not even mentioning the issues of accumulated deleterious recessives etc. keeping a line the same over time is kinda idiotype breeding where the idiotype is the F1, imho it’s one of the most frustrating and painful aspects of seed making.

9 Likes

I’m saying old ibl’s lose that magic. Ibl’s are made with smaller amounts of plants and ibl status doesn’t even occur til the 7th generation. So an old ibl in my mind would be inbred much longer than that. You don’t find many old ones because the breeder moves on to something different or better in most cases. Do you know of any ibl’s with serious potency after even f10? My own strains are at f-15 + and I see what happens over the years. They don’t always go downhill, but typically do. My uncles old Afghan got better under my care, I think by removing cbd phenos, while my own strain lost some of its magic. It’s still good, but not like it was 30 years ago. That shit was serious fire.

I think something was different too, but the old books list 11% as the highest thc level.

What about the traditional farmers? Isn’t that what they did? Not all of course, but some.
What are the most famous 70’s strains?
Colombian Gold- a hybrid
Panama Red- it appears it’s also a hybrid
Thai- the striped seeds I’ve repeatedly read about say they were also hybrids. I have many Thai and other Southeast Asian landraces that have been maintained by farmers since the 70’s, in country, and NONE have stripes. Outcrossing produces striped seed. Not always, but if a seed is striped, it’s a hybrid( short lines, speckles or camo patterns are not stripes)
Durban Poison- hybrid
Various Mexican strains were also famous. I was recently shown some government info that says to me Acapulco Gold was a Colombian/ Mexican hybrid. It’s perhaps the most famous old Mexican strain
Maui wowie- hybrid
There are others that were not hybrid, but that list above covers half the famous ones.

It’s suspected that soldiers passed out Western seeds to the locals…so that could explain the high thc, BUT it could be a pure Afghan. If it is, has it been hybridized too? We know the Afghan Sativa genepool was decimated between the 30’s and 70’s, by hybridization with Hindu Kush, and we also know the local Afghan and Pakistani custom of importing genetics from all over South Asia. At 25%, my guess is it’s a hybrid.

Depends on the Landrace I think. Hash strains resin means nothing. Most modern Western strains, and all hype strains from the West, contain Hashplant genes.
But if you see a resinous Sativa, you should get excited😁 because more often than not, it means potency.
Does a potent landrace have to have good resin? No.

I agree. This is why Preservation is so important. We can’t import a climate. Support landrace seedsellers that are from the country of origin.

10 Likes

@George that looks tasty! Looking forward to a smoke report.

5 Likes

wohoo, agreed!

but can you imagine there is lack of selection at origin in 2023?
if so, it might be like that since 50 years… so, what i support is peoples with understanding of the Problematic.
These people could be we at OG.
We could go there and do it right…
We could go to Thailand per example, and try other methods than the methods at play. because i dont want their Seeds honestly…
something has changed… Preservationists could get active. one day ill try a Fundraiser Campain… the knowledge of the possible mistakes they do we have already… we just dont know wich one of the mistakes it is probably,

Sounds much more visionary imho.

3 Likes