TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

Are you going to increase the pot size on the the first two plants Trevor, they are going to be quite big by the looks of them.

2 Likes

I’m still not sure to be honest. I didnt expect them to get as big as they did and I’ve not got anything bigger for pots, and nowhere as good as where they’re at for sunlight.

I’m thinking they’ll be fine finishing in these pots, and with very few days left of the veg season transplanting isnt going to make them any larger I wouldn’t think.

But yeah, still not sure. I wouldn’t even know where to start in transplanting something this big haha

2 Likes

So long as they are getting enough food, the will keep growing I guess. So long as there is enough weight in the pot to stop it tipping over, if it gets windy, you should be good.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the downside, I currently water with straight tap water in the morning, shortly after noon I hit them with fertilizer, and once again I fertilize them before sundown, and STILL they are almost dry in the morning. But I’m home all the time so it’s just business as usual for me.

I never considered the whole plant tipping over, to be honest, but will be keeping an eye out and taking preventative measures now that you did :wink: I do think I’ll have to stake or tie some branches though, because (hopefully) they’ll be some big fat long colas by harvest.

4 Likes

13 Likes

Top down shot

13 Likes

Probably wont be a problem with them all stacked in the pen like that, strength in numbers for supporting each other. The are growing fast, I went out this morning to give my outside autos some tea, I think the smaller ones must have jumped about 3 inches over night, thought I was looking at the wrong ones lol. Must be hitting there peak stretching ability now. Shame you cant top autos I would love a tree like yours, maybe next year lol.

5 Likes

I’m noticing same thing and so are my other local grower friends. The last few days in particular plants have really hit the gas pedal.

I find with autos, supercropping/flopping the main cola down well above the rest gets the same effect as topping, only you get to keep your main.

The 2 big plants, photoperiods, were started in March indoor, and were already bushes by the time they were placed outside. This was before topping. I topped em first day outside but honestly it wasnt necessary as there was already a ton of side growth. Next year I wanna have about 6 of these bushes ready for outdoor. This was kind of an experiment to see what kind of results I could get with a decent head start, as I’m usually pretty late getting my outdoor runs started.

4 Likes

But you had plants to put out at the right time and you treat them right, so they are returning the favor, stretch for the next week or so and start stacking…

Flower is gonna get crazy lol

3 Likes

Man I cant wait. I’ve grown big plants but nothing that look like these, with the 3 foot colas all stacked tight.

Gotta manage expectations, but I do picture a pretty crazy end result here.

Also wanted to note, that the 501st is so smelly, that you can smell it around my entire property, and I have a big property. I’m like 400ft away from where they’re at right now and can still smell it haha.

5 Likes

I would invest in some trellis netting and put it up now! That will help keep those gigantic bids from flopping onto the ground. Keep it up, they look amazing. :+1::seedling:

3 Likes

I was wondering what the best option would be for this @ReikoX . I dont think netting over top is going to work, especially in my climate that requires plants be taken in at night with 2-3 weeks prior to finishing. But I am considering wrapping a net around the outside of them, kinda like a tomato cage. Or even a few pieces of rope/string and some stakes.

3 Likes

Good to know, I don’t think I will mess with these this year, see how they do without hindrance from me, I will probably screw them up if I try. Next year I will know how they should perform, and give half of them a bend at the top.

2 Likes

That does pose a problem, I suppose you could get some large bamboo stakes. At that size, I dont see you being able to move them very easily no matter what you do.

3 Likes

Hehe I got trailer for the lawn tractor and a little wagon but yeah, they’re gonna suck to move.

And lots of stakes and stuff to make stakes with. I’ll figure something out, I know for sure there will be top heavy spots that if left unchecked will lead to snapped necks so I’ll be doing something with them.

3 Likes

Got my tent up and operational!

Had to clean and sanitize my entire basement to get here but the old cabinet is gone and I upgraded to double the space!

Got @ReikoX’s FAMs in here now under 315w of SIL

All my plants inside have been light deprived and cramped in my closet for like 2 weeks too long, so I’m debating on when and if I should start some more to replace em.

I’m not even sure when I started these I think a month ago now lol.

11 Likes

I am going to invest more into those bulb holder fittings, I think, at the time I made my own up, I could only find single bulb holders at crappy tire for 6-7$ a go. I chopped up some temporary, construction light strings I found in a dumpster to make mine. I am going to check Amazon, I have loads of bulbs in 3000 and a few 2700 spare as I only use them in veg atm. I got to get my costs down.

4 Likes

The Rona in Dartmouth Crossing usually has phenolic single socket lampholders for I think $1.75 iirc

The 7 in 1 splitters can be found on amazon and ebay for $10 or less (I got mine for $11 each on amazon) and can be modified to get back some headroom too.

Gotta rebuild the frame to something more aesthetically pleasing…at some point… lol

5 Likes

So that light setup… I tried looking back through, but the original pic you showed it in is too dark. Did you take the Male socket off of those 7-in-1s, hard wire them in, then zip tie them to an x shaped aluminum rack?

3 Likes

I was just about to ask that exact question lol… about to put.a few of these in my new veg box and have been debating the easiest way to hang them

4 Likes