TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

That’s exactly what I did. Just took the male socket off and daisy chained them all together and zip tied em to a frame.

5 Likes

Nice! Is it a PITA to take the Male end off?

4 Likes

I think it’s like 2 or 4 screws but yea, super simple

4 Likes

Just take off the screws, and at least on mine the wires just had merettes on them and no solder so it was ready to go.

3 Likes

12 Likes

12 Likes

The FAMs starting to adjust to their new home.

11 Likes
8 Likes

The Dark Sparks in the closet have had a really rough time, as they went into flower while still cramped with so many other plants. I flopped a couple over tonight and hopefully they will amount to something but I dont have high hopes for them this round. They are only using 72w of SIL because any more will cook them lol

8 Likes

Tent picking up steam…

12 Likes

Looking good Trev, what light colour combinations do you use per 7 bulb holder and how many of each colour spectrum?

1 Like

In my old cabinet, I used 50/50 2700/5000k but since I have way more 5000k for the tent I had to use 1x2700k and 6x5000k per splitter.

I put the 2700k in the centre so it should blend the spectrum a bit better i would think. Time will tell though.

3 Likes

As I use them mostly for veg and very occasionally for extra light flowering, I have mainly 5000K being used in the veg tent, at a rate of 5x5000k to 1x 2700 and 1x3000.

That seems to work well for veg, I am about to go all in with the flowering as well, so was wondering if I should go the other way with 3x2700k and 3 x3000k and 1x5000k.

1 Like

Well I dont really have a reference point as I’ve usually used a 50/50 split with good results, but others here have went full 5000k through flower without a huge difference one way or the other in terms of end product. The buds grown directly under the 5000k are not noticeably different from those under the 2700k. The big difference spectrum makes in my experience is in regards to stretching, which if you’re an aggressive trainer makes no difference really.

If one were to have a choice though, I would say 50/50 cant go wrong. Even allows you to move some tops or plants under different spectrum if you want more or less stretch.

4 Likes

Cheers for the help man, that’s good to know. Put my mind at ease more lol.

When you get brainwashed into all this info, that says it has to be the right spectrum with LEDs, its hard to let go of it lol.

I found some 7 arm bulb holders on ebay for $8.70 free shipping from Hong Kong, I can screw them into my long home made light holders I have 3 about 40 inches long. I think I might be able to squeeze one in every other holder for 4 altogether, not sure if I can put a bulb in the spare holes though.

7 Likes

Ooooo

I like those… Lengthen the light and distribute it better…

Hmmm…

2 Likes

Yeh thats the only thing stopping me buying more of the cheapo chinese full spec lights is the crappy footprint they have. No matter how powerful they only seem to have a 2x2ft footprint.
The other one there is a shorter and wider light 4x2 about 2 ft long and 10 inches wide. Sorry pics blurry.

4 Likes

I would say they are going to work great in that setup and let you space things out whichever way you wanna go to fill the space.

Those splitters are awesome, would make great spotlights or area lighting too. I’m trying to locate some nice aluminum rails to rebuild my rig to be a bit sturdier and nicer looking with an open spot in case I want to add another splitter in the future.

3 Likes

Ran outa likes, what are your holders rated at for wattage Trev?

1 Like

And it’s in Chinese too, so you know it’s legit lol

On another note, inspect each socket to ensure that when the bulbs go into the socket, they dont push the contacts together and short it out. I had this happen on one of my units and had to replace all the wires of that splitter. That’s why we test before putting it in the grow lol.

6 Likes