TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

Where do you get the Ali angle from?

How many strips of LEDs did you get?

2 Likes

Ok so each light will have 10x 560mm 3500k strips powered by an XLG-150-L-AB driver. 15w per strip, basically. Each light frame is 20"x22" and the strips are spread across 18"x22" of it.

One of these will cover a 2x2 and there shouldn’t be much more than a square inch of grow area without a diode above it. I’m putting another right beside it to completely cover my 2x4.

In comparison to my SIL rig that this is replacing, it is about 27000 lumens and 315w. This single 150w fixture will deliver ~26000 lumens at less than half the wattage.

And I’m going to double that, will be 300w and ~52000 lumens worth of light potential when completed.

Oh and for angle I just ordered it from a local custom machining shop then went and picked it up, was about $35 for 20 feet of it.

8 Likes

Rock on man!! Can’t wait to see them in action

2 Likes

Man that’s good, 50% more efficient than the sils. I like that a lot. I think this is the way to go for me. I think I am going to go for 28x44 frame and do the long ones. Can these be pushed for higher lumins like the version 3s that are coming out?

2 Likes

@Shadey They can all be pushed past nominal, but should you? Idk the prices of individual strips is so low its better to spread the light out than to add more light to individual strips, and potentially lower the lifespan and increase the heat output of your light, imo.

Also, you should design your grow space at least 46-48 inches long to accommodate your light frame and leave a little room on the sides for air, cables or whatever.

4 Likes

Yeah I was just wondering if they could be if needed. My Flower room is 8x7ft so they will work well. I will probably do my clone cab as well as my veg tent later on. Clone cab would be better with over head light, rather than angled from a corner, which I cant do with sils due to height restrictions.

1 Like

I wonder if this will cover a 2x4? LOL.

6 Likes

Looking good, is that self tapping bolts I see.

What is the gap between the strip’s?

1 Like

Nice neat work TL, looking forward to seeing how these work for you…:+1:

Peace
DaFozz

2 Likes

Thanks guys!

They are #11 bolts holding it all together. Big I know but what I had on-hand.

I hate rivets, but they would work as well. In my case my 5/8" rivets I had on hand were too big and didnt tie tightly enough. Also tried self tapping screws but after a stress test they got loose. They would work fine though I was twisting the frame to make them fail.

The bolts also serve as “feet” so the light can be laid down face first if needed, and on the second frame I used even longer bolts because of this.

Theres alot of mistakes too, wrong cuts/measurements but once it’s all together it still looks pretty cool.

Currently working on jarring the 2 FAM autos, the stink is unreal. Havent weighed yet but it looks to be a hefty amount here and very dense!

12 Likes

Sweet Harv there! That sap stuff is called ‘guttation’, I had a purple orange kush that did it I thought it was crazy THC balls lol. It would be nice to use to cover a blunt wrap or something.

3 Likes

Weigh-In

So the pic above, the left side was 78.4g and the right side 131.2g

So 209.6g between these two, and that’s not counting the 10g+ I’ve sampled over the last few days because it’s so damn delicious.

They shared a 2x4 tent with 2 other smaller plants that I unfortunately didn’t get a final weight on, but I would say maybe 80-90g between them as well.

The largest plant is now officially my largest yielding plant to date at 131g and I’m damn happy with that.

Add it to the 60g of Dark Sparks and the rest of my outdoor harvest and I’m even happier.

Not bad considering all the trouble I had along the way.

14 Likes

Congrats on that haul man, glad things worked out after all.

4 Likes

Very nice, that should keep you going for a while,

Probably do the final trim on my Hog this weekend, it’s pretty much there, the lower down stuff on it looks a bit fluffy but up top is nice and solid.

3 Likes

So getting the lights hung and wired up. @HaRdRoC got me paranoid my heavy duty mounting tape wouldn’t be heavy duty enough so running them without plants under them to see if they peel.

Heres a before and after

Before

Highest LUX reading @ 18 inches and center of tent: 30599 LUX

Lowest LUX reading @ 18 inches and edge of tent: 11602 LUX

After

Highest LUX reading @ 18 inches and center of tent: 46234 LUX

Lowest LUX reading @ 18 inches and edge of tent: 42771 LUX

And much less dropoff as you raise the light so overall a very nice upgrade.

14 Likes

Lol didn’t mean to make ya paranoid bro.

3 Likes

Well either you jinxed it or I jinxed myself when I cursed rivets…

Gonna have to disassemble the whole thing and rivet these on… damnit!

7 Likes

Is that the tape coming lose???

Why take apart, can you not just drill holes through both pieces and use nuts n bolts???

Sorry you are having issues, BUT, looks like MUCH BETTER light power and distribution through your tent, when they are all squared away your gonna love them I bet!!

6 Likes

Wow perfect coverage there. Nice build! Except the tape haha

Do the strips have mounting holes on them or do you drill through the board?

2 Likes

Not much difference at the edges, so it’s a nice spread of light, I will rivet mine I think :wink:

Looks really good man, how many more strips would you need to get it to 30 inches across?

1 Like