TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

That’s why I grow African violets as well. They like to be fussed with. lol and fuck I hate those gnats too. I see lady bugs in your future. Stoked to watch your organic grow, my brother.

3 Likes

I don’t think i’ve seen ladybugs remove fungus gnats. but they did a serious number on the aphids on my plants. Especially after they started to reproduce, the ladybug larva killed them.

3 Likes

Yeah ladybugs would probably eat the gnat larvae but since the larvae are in the dirt they wouldn’t be very effective. Gnats are like the easiest pest to deal with indoor, if you even have to deal with them. Moving on from the pest topic while generously knocking on wood…

lol

5 Likes

Day 5
One thing I immediately notice about the new light is that the seedlings dont wanna leg out at all. Staying nice and compact and zero initial stretch. Hell some of the leaves are even laying on the soil lol.

GTxSBR

Dark Sparks

13 Likes

Day 6

GTxSBR

Dark Sparks

13 Likes

Are you going to pull that little one out by the big one and re pot it, or just see what happens?

1 Like

I’m still not sure but I kinda wanna let it go and see what happens lol

It was stunted and damaged anyway, lol

2 Likes

They growing up fast man!!!

2 Likes

Where did you get the 501st x sour bubble?? @TrevorLahey

1 Like

@Danonly The 501st OG x Sour Bubble was one of @toastyjakes projects a while back.

It’s good smoke, I think something happened to it during drying/curing because it tastes like dill pickle now and is kinda gross. Maybe the dozens of little worms I’m finding on the inside of the buds idk lol.

3 Likes

Day 6

I feel like the Dark Sparks are lagging a little behind their usual rate of growth. Good thing I got more almost ready to pot.

The GTxSBR are growing super fast, even faster than last round as far as I can tell. Healthy looking too!

13 Likes

Day 7

GTxSBR

Dark Sparks

Planted another Dark Spark, still waiting on the other 2 seeds to pop but in the spirit of science I decided I’m going to try these in an amended coco base consisting of 50g of Gaia Green Power Bloom 2-8-4 and a handful of living soil (mostly just for the EWC) per 3L of coco coir.

I also ordered another 2x2 tent the other day, shipping from China so it might take a while to arrive. So I’m just soaking seeds left and right and filling the tent, and will move some to the closet and then start even more when the tent gets here.

I planned on building another light this month too but had some financial issues and it looks like it might have to wait until January.

GOTTA OVERGROW!!

12 Likes

hahahah GIT ‘R’ DONE!!!
Can’t wait to see ya rock another tent!!!
You doing all autos in both tents?

2 Likes

For the foreseeable future yeah, or until I have a hefty enough surplus that I can devote an extra 30+ days per cycle to photoperiods.

3 Likes

Brother dentures aren’t what they ate cracked up to be. Had what was left of my top teeth taken out (got broke in an accident at work and workman comp did a shit job of fixing it) and got dentures. I’m constantly gagging hard to eat because you can’t feel how hot something is until its too late. Hope when I get my permanent ones they fit better and aren’t so bulky

2 Likes

I missed what light you swapped to, can you give me the info on it? Looking to replace my 1k hps. Electric bill killing me now lol

4 Likes

The light is a custom build. There’s two 150w light panels in there each consisting of 10x560mm 3500k Bridgelux EB Gen2 strips, powered by an XLG-150-L-AB driver.

This is more than enough to cover a 2x4 but you would need more to fit a bigger space. Lots of info in the Cheap Strips thread regarding build options and cost, but generally speaking it takes about 600w of efficient LED to replace a 1kw HPS.

2 Likes

Trevor are you going to start watering them more? they look like the roots might be big enough to reach the dry zone. I’m just a rookie though so any info you can share would be good.

EDIT-- what tent did you end up getting?

2 Likes

Those autos definitely have the root to reach the dry. I was amazed how fast mine filed a 6in net pot

3 Likes

Good observation! I usually take pics right after watering and this time I didnt, so it looks dryer than it is. Its definitely a good practice to visualize the roots below the plant based on the shape and size of the plant, so good on you for that.

I’m by no means a model hand waterer, but for these early stages I just run a circle of water with a turkey baster about 1 or 2 inches from the rim of the pot, which gives the roots some water in the middle while encouraging them to seek out the edge more, it will wet to the sides below the surface, but not so much that it will overwet. Hand watering is such a pain in the ass though I look forward to when I can wet all the media (soon) and leave it for a couple days.

3 Likes