Understanding breeding, how to achieve the best an strongest high, false beliefs an inbreeding depresion

Starting with Clarke Thai circa mid '70’s not being sure about the driving force behind it’s intersexed traits all through og, chem, cookies, et al what we are talking about is like, Darwin on speed. Pass or fail, selfing is about 7 times more intensive than full sib selection. Both, failing and succeeding as quickly as possible are advantageous in regards to time management right. Let’s cut to the chase right.

9 Likes

@LonelyOC - Oh man you always have a way of unhinging my beliefs with well thought out responses! I’m not sure I fully understand your process. Am I selfing 3 males and 3 females from the initial F1 outcross? Then breeding together the self’d progeny to F2? Thus insuring 100% double recessive? I’m still trying to wrap my brain around this one. Bear with me. :yum:

@TomHill - I’m in awe. So much wisdom in so little words, thank you.

2 Likes

Thank you :v:t2:

Well, since you have one double Recessive freak and one normal plan. You will end up with alot of normal looking plants. So what selfing do is to “look through” the genetic makeup of the actual plant. You can do it to find those freak phenos again. But these will have other properties from the plant you crossed to. This is also how autos are made.

Pz :v:t2:

2 Likes

Recessive vs dominant is an oft misunderstood thing let’s address that. Recessive does not mean rare it means for simplicities sake aa. Dominant does not mean often it means AA. There are things that get in the way but outside of incomplete dominance Aa looks the same as AA. That’s a bitch to breed for because Aa x Aa = 25% aa. Whereas 100% aa x aa = aa. So recessive traits are much easier to fix into homozygous condition (true breeding) than dominant traits. Dominant traits for the most part are variable for a long time vs recessive traits being quickly and easily fixed.

17 Likes

@LonelyOC what did you use to reverse the males to find the Pink flowers?

2 Likes

I used Florel and something called Switch together. There is some good information on OG about reversing male’s. Reversed males look sooo wierd :grin:

7 Likes

deleted already posted

deleted already posted

Hahahah bro, I made this article it’s own thread

5 Likes

I thought so, but I looked and did not find it.
Sorry for the double dose. :pensive:
Funny you chose to split it right where I did too.

2 Likes

No problem, cool to see you had it saved :grinning:

I ripped it from another forum and kept the break where it was :yum:

3 Likes

It should have just gone straight into selfing :joy:

6 Likes

Here’s an interesting read I found:

5 Likes

@Cactus Yes, this is a great idea. What it will do is to give you an idea of what you can expect from offspring females. So if the smell does translate into a female smell, you would find it in the selfed offspring.

5 Likes

That’s cool, I have messed around a bit with using hermi pollen for making beans, the first few times I got all female seeds, the last time I got about 85% female and some males, but none of them have expressed above average hermi traits which is what I was expecting due to ‘stoner lore’ lol.

8 Likes

Great info - Guess the next step in the cultivation world is breeding , once one has the necessary knowledge of - next logical step is breeding>

4 Likes

The traits for hermi is a lot more complicated then people initially thought. So the hermi plant might become hermi from alot of different reasons and not every reason is genetics.

8 Likes

If I were to guess I would say that one form of hermaphroditic behavior in males would possibly come from elevated production of ethylene during the flowering process. I think that if these traits are inherited the female seeds might produce more ethylene and thus make the females more stable? I wonder if florel was sprayed on a hermi female would it stop or reverse the process? Can florel be absorbed through the roots?

6 Likes

I’ve been reading Allard and he said a few things that have been banging around my head the last couple days. One, he said that most hermaphroditic plant species have some mechanism of pollen incompatibility to prevent selfing. In fact, some of these mechanisms are so efficient they’re better than strict dioecy at preventing inbreeding depression because every plant is a pollen donor and accepter, so pollen gets spread more thoroughly; more seeds and more crosses leads to more diversity in the progeny.

Does cannabis have such a mechanism? I’ve never heard of it but I’m inclined to guess not, because allard also mentioned hemp as being a cross pollinated crop that’s particularly immune to inbreeding depression, and can be selfed many times before problems arise. It makes me think pot’s evolutionary tactic to avoid the issues that come with selfing was to just get good at it :joy:

11 Likes

:thinking: got a paper for that? My understanding is Cannabis, as a whole, is an obligate outcrosser like most other dioecious plants are, and any continued inbreeding 100% causes depression of vigor and other issues in the line. It improves by outcrossing.

There is also a difference between hemp and drug type cannabis so maybe that has something to do with what Allard is saying :thinking: I’ve also not heard of any (cannabis)plant that can produce viable pollen NOT being able to seed itself. I’ve seen sterile pollen, and sterile females, but not sterile to itself. Would be interesting to see ^^

While there are monoecious(hermaphroditic) plants within cannabis, the overall species is dioecious and not true mono’s like most other flowers. Only about 6% of flowering plants are dioecious with separate males and females.

7 Likes