Using Coco as a Substrate

yes please make a faq for new growers willing to try coir in easy to understand words and format etc.

1 Like

please make how to grow in coir easy to understand. step 1- reusing old coir much needed how too.detailed.

3 Likes

I’ll be pulling out my old buckets for my next grow, got gnats this time but they didn’t like the hydrogen peroxide bath i gave them :laughing: A coco filled hempy bucket with perlite top and bottom is a winner i recon :thumbsup:

@head As for reusing the stuff, i gave up, the root balls are so unbelievably dense that i couldn’t be arsed trying to separate it all but a lot of work and a hydrogen peroxide rinse might do the trick. You can also use some additives to break down old roots, Cannazym is one i have used in the past but there are plenty others. You could check out their site too cos among all the sales blurb there is some good info :thumbsup:
http://www.canna-uk.com/re_using_coco_easier_and_safer_you_think

http://www.canna-uk.com/search/node/coco

Plants grown in one gallon Hempy Cups with Perlite on bottom two inches, coir all the way up and hydroton to avoid algae on top inch of the pot.

Brooklyn Sunrise

Blue Dream

Who thinks they would have gotten bigger in say, 5 gallon hempys?

Sci :robot:

11 Likes

1 gallon smart parts with drip lines and advanced nutrients ph perfect sensi, bud ignitor, bud candy,big bud and overdrive…chopping in 2 weeks! G13 Pineapple express20210206_201857|281x500

1 Like

3 Likes

Coco is the best. Roots want space, oxygen, nutes. Coco can hold it all and microbes too with organic amendments.
It also acts like a swamp cooler in a fabric pot.
It smells great and doesnt attract bugs.
And all the benefits mentioned in the op.

Unmixed is the best if you can get away with it.
Its hot here so i mix perlite in. But roots rather go into coco than rocks.
More space roots less stretching too in same size pot.

1 Like

I grow in coco. you should have your pH at 5.5-5.8 not 6.5 to 7.

Hello everyone first time grower here! my first ever plant is coming on beautiful

Its a Shaman in 4 gallon pot
Coco / Coir only + perlite
Im currently on day 18 with a light feeding of the following

Per Gallon

• CalMag 2ml
  • micro 1ml
  • grow 1ml
  • Bloom 1ml

She seems to be responding really well to my watering so far! i’m being careful not to let it dry out, with careful checking of PH / PPM etc…

Is it too early to add anything else at this stage?

Im totally new to it all and wondered what other additives might be beneficial ( be-it at day 18 or during veg or even late veg flower and so on…

Thank you in advance!

2 Likes

@Budmeister
Here is a feed chart for GH 3 part…

When I ran GH 3 part I really only used Micro and Bloom at 6mils Micro and 9mils Bloom…a little calmag as needed. It is Heads old recipe. Best of luck with the little one. :peace_symbol:

1 Like

I dont ph and slurry tests 6.2. Depends if using salts or not

Good luck, she looks good so far :slight_smile:
I found it hard to resist doing things, ANYTHING, when I started growing and reading this forum. There is an old but very good saying here, LITFA…Leave It The Fuck Alone.
With modest feeding, that plant will be fine. This year I grew everything in coco, perlite, and worm castings/compost. It was 60/25/15, roughly. I fed once/wk with a mild fert, usually half strength while everything was still young.
Be careful with watering. Best to let the soil dry out before watering. Constant moisture can cause issues in pots. Feel the weight of the plant, it’ll tell you when it needs more water. I had quite a few plants going, and got fooled a few times…so I bought a moisture meter for $10. A lot of folks say they’re not necessary, and maybe not, but they don’t hurt…and I had a lot of times where I thought “Ok…that plants got to be thirsty…”, stuck the meter in, NOPE.

Good luck, and welcome to OG.

Lob

5 Likes

Do you guys pack your coco in the container or leave it loose? It tends to pack down after few watering cycles, so I thought next repotting I might pack it a bit… Does that influence the aireation properties of coco coir? Using Canna Pro…