Vaporizing or dabbing...yes or no?

I tried using vaporizers about 12 or 13 years ago. A Volcano and a Vapir.
I did not really like them. I went back to smoking.

I read some recent articles indicating that vape pens may not be a safer alternative to smoking.
I have no experience with vape pens and am curious how many actually may prefer vaping to smoking.

• I prefer vaping.
  • I enjoy vaping and smoking.
  • I dislike vaping

0 voters

2 Likes

That is exactly my experience… The problem is also, that I combine with tobacco and that leads to some addiction that affects it…

3 Likes

I fucked up, i meant to hit smoking and vapeing. I prefer to smoke bud, but I absolutely LOVE my vape pen for in public or where bud can’t be smoked. (Like the airport)

3 Likes

The “heating up” article is true but somewhat misleading. Dabbing is essentially contact vaporization. It produces some degree of hydrocarbon combustion byproducts like benzene, but I’m guessing it’s still far lower than smoking the equivalent amount of herb.

Convection vaporizing like the Volcano is ideal, no combustion byproducts whatsoever. I’m scared by the filler ingredients in vape pens like Proplyene Glycol, you don’t want to inhale that crap. But vape pens can be made out of pure canna-oils without added crap.

5 Likes

Vaporizers, pens, dabs? Yes please :wink:

The problems with most vape pens is what they cut the product with to make it less viscous, the pen/tank construction uses glue and solder, and they are disposable.

There are now pens that will work directly with oil. These are reusable though they require a bit of maintenance, use uncut product, and generally are made with safer materials.

Vaporizers are nice, but generally not portable. I have the Arizer EQ and use it occasionally. The Magic Flight Launch box is also a nice portable device. What I don’t like about it is it looks like a pipe, not quite as stealthy as the pens.

My go to device is an oil rig setup with an electric nail. With the electric nail, you can control the temperature you hit at. This not only makes for a tastier dab, but also prevents hitting at too hot of a temperature.

I do like to smoke flower as well, mostly in joint form. Any of these forms of inhalation are going to have carcinogens in them. The beauty is, THC seems to counter the effects. There are no reported cases of lung cancer from cannabis smoke only. Mainly because a lot of cannabis smokers also smoke tobacco. The pens and dabs have not been around long enough to fully understand the long term effects.

In conclusion, I would worry more about un-purged or cut oils than vaporizing and smoking. I only dab organic, solvent free, rosin than I grow and process. That’s the only way to know for sure that the product is safe. :green_heart:

7 Likes

Check out the “Crafty” vape by Volcano - Storz & Bickel. they just dropped the price on it. It replaced the Arizer Solo as my go-to portable vape, it works really well. Big chamber that you can preload and fairly easy to clean too.

I recently tried a pure-oil vape pen out of Maine’s medical scene and it blew me away, the high was unbelievably strong. Great flavor too.

3 Likes

Well from my understanding, dabbing at Temps above 750 is where the problems start.
I personally don’t dab alot I have a pen from “this thing rips” and I love it. It is temp controled. As far as cartridges, big brass knuckles fan because it’s co2 extracted & there is no thinning agent used.
Lots of new dry herb vapes out, looking at the pax or DaVinci for myself.
But for now i just roll joints.

2 Likes

Much like a vegetarian is a choice to not eat fleshy goodness,
have chosen FUCK COMBUSTION philosophy and vape only.

Started with Magic Flight Launch Box - a learning curve and is
capable of burn if not careful.

Moved up to Arizer Solo - nice battery operated device that will
never burn your herb. Had some battery issues early models and
glass stems a bit fragile. CON - need to wait 60-120 seconds for
it to heat up before you can start enjoying.

Have an UnderDog log vape - always on - steady temperature
choice of Glass - Stainless Steel - or Silicon stems - water tool
mating adapters. CON - tied to a power outlet and 15-20 minute
preheat time.

With these three vaporizers, the amounts of material used are
so small (think one hitter) and even when vapor gets thin (done)
if you scope the ‘debris’ you’ll see much of the trichome structure
is still present on the material and it’s ready to eat (if you want)
as it’s been decarbed.

None of this applies to the original survey as that deals with
concentrates and not flower. But the term vaporizing is a bit
misleading with pens and dabbing and those both need a new
term as I feel they set vaporizing a bad example.

5 Likes

do you have any pictures of the vapes and which is your preference? I had a pax that I dropped in the toilet early on so I never got to use it much. I liked the idea, just not the design. the arizer solo looks nice

Well, no pictures, but I am on the “fuck combustion” team too.
I have one Haze v3, a cheap Edit convector (same thing as Phoenix, this one have several names and re-brands) . Next week my Might arrives.
My first one was one pax, but I not liked the heat (at least mine got really hot) and gifted a friend. The Haze is a nice one, needs a bit of technique to extract well and I really like the cheap Edit. To be honest this one has been my daily driver.
AFAIK Might is one of the best ones available. When it arrives I can give a little review.
The thing that sold me to Might was the user experiences, the first units had some problems, they have been ironed out now. Nice clouds, no technique needed, little draw resistance and super convenient and easy to use capsules (something that makes a breeze to clean).
Also, all these are herb vaporizers, nothing but your herb goes there.

1 Like

Got wood and willing to show it off… each has a use but dog is the trustworthy companion…

Here’s a HalfBee worth of bud (before & after color change)

2 Likes

Vape fan myself. Love the “Mighty” as it will do flower or concentrates.

2 Likes

NO VAPING on the Crapper ! Things have a tendency To go splash! LOL Sorry for your loss @Viva_Mexico!

2 Likes

Been there, done that. First mod for ecig went splash!

1 Like

For the moment i’ve found nothing that give me the same pleasure that a blunt (not wraps, 90’s way), for my daily. It’s a big moment of degustation that i take the time to enjoy to the end. Both for weed and the overall manner to appreciate it, i hate to be forced to smoke/vape all day long now. I don’t known how to best express it in my average english, it have to be a kind of celebration each time in a way. Not an automatism.

4 Likes

Double that. Both. Smoking first. Then vape

3 Likes

Salutations,

1) Smoking: No, i got “smoke-clean” since mid-2007.

2) Vaping (e-Cigs/e-Liquids): No, never going to be in my plans (no need for it anyway).

3) Vaporizing - “Release/Transport Agent” based on Hot Dry Air alone: No, that ain’t suitable for me.

4) Vaporizing - “Release/Transport Agent” “potentialized” with inlet water: Yes, but this has cost me ~7 years of serious involvement combined to spending a couple thousand Canuck bucks fixing VG’s patented (pre-existing) product in the process.

Explanations.

Smoking provides some sort of “Release/Transport Agent” which explains it’s planetary success IMO; Big Tobacco seems to have understood this as it adopted the much cleaner “vaping” solution, though still exposed to over-heating by some hot wire where it makes contact, i think. Vaporization the Volcano/Arizer style started to feel like a dead-end after 6 months but that was a necessary rite of passage until ready to progress (much later…), after identifying the “Release/Transport Agent” which provided some hint how to limit “baking”, using an HerbalAire to get some taste of both in preparation for the next step, etc.

That next step has been ready for duplication by peers for about a year now but i’m still alone on planet Itnoc speaking an alien language: “Inlet Potentialization/Self-Moisturization/Conditioning”, “Micro-Bursting” (pulse mode), “Self-Awareness Promotion”, etc… M’well, at least i stopped searching while hoping others may find sufficient motivation to take over someday, to investigate further eventually, as my “opportunity window” is now closed…

Good day, have fun!!

4 Likes

DAB.
$80 a gram nice yellow color liquid crumbly.

4 Likes

Been using mostly vaporizer for awhile now.

Only time I don’t is when I’m out and about with people and smoke the occasional joint. I haven’t smoked a bong hit in around 5 years. I originally switched over to vaporizing because of the disgusting amount of weed I was smoking through my bong, and I’d actually cough up tar (gross!).

I am currently using a Sublimator 3.0 for my main vaporizer because it attaches to a bong and I can filter through water. I also have an old Volcano for when I have people over I don’t want touching my bongs. I probably now have over 4.5 pounds of “already vaped weed” which I keep around and infuse with grapeseed oil and then melted beeswax + essential oils to make a pain relieving lotion.

For concentrates I also use the sub on a higher temperature for “dabbing” when I’m at home. When I’m out and about I have a source orb 4 signature which is a concentrate pen. It’s a little on the bigger side but it gives great tasty rips or giant clouds if you don’t mind sacrificing some taste. The problem for me is concentrates don’t last me nearly as long as flower does, I can easily go through multiple grams a day.

I tend to prefer smoking flowers through the Sublimator over dabbing concentrates because I find I can get a similar high off vaporizing 0.2 gram of flower in the sub than I would off dabbing some regular shatter. I think this is because it only takes me one big hit to fully have the weed in the chamber brown compared to many multiple hits with most others.

I’m on the fence about an e-nail so I can smoke the more expensive kinds of concentrates on quartz instead of titanium. I have been looking at one called “Mr Hotbox”.

7 Likes

that’s awesome you switched from bong hits to vaporized bong hits lol i’m sure it is much healthier though i want to try that some time. i used to have a digital volcano but i barely ever used it so i ended up selling it. i vape nicotine juice pretty often but not THC

3 Likes