Water chiller question

I’ve been looking around at water chillers and found this unit used for $500 CAD

https://www.kandus.com/Configurations/38289ThermoTekChiller.html

Do you think this would do the job/be worth it? compared to buying something like this new.

I’m trying to keep 55 gallons in my RDWC at 18c and with no chilling i currently average 23-24c/

3 Likes

I have that same chiller, (active aqua chiller) no issues so far. I’m not running hydro at the moment ( just moved). I used it to keep my 45 gal rez cool. Im also in the process of making a radiator cooler with a fan to cool the air as well. I will be hooking this up to the return side. It works very efficiently it did not struggle in the least bit… just make sure when u get it leave it up right over night before turning it on for the first time… I’m very happy with this purchase.

3 Likes

you will want at least 1/4 hp for 55 gal. even that might end up overworked. id go 1/3 or 1/2 if you can, especially if its for an rdwc system

2 Likes

I have a 1/10hp for my 55 gal RDWC , I run different than most others and have no issues. I have an active aqua as well, but I wish I purchased the 1/4hp for when I add more sites. Or even just for less strain on the unit.

2 Likes