Water filters, need suggestions RO and regular

I’m using 2.5tsp per 4 gal after nutes to get down to 5.75 for my dwc. Was going to start trying different acids to see which worked the best. That’s my main reason for wanting to filter. The city here uses limerock filters to add taste back to the water and I’m thinking that’s why it’s so dammed hard to keep my ph stable. Shouldn’t have to add a tsp of ph down daily to my res or at least I don’t think I should. Goes from 5.7 to 6.4 in a day

2 Likes

If you can find it get some aac arreated autoclaved concrete panels to line your space. Light weight cuts like wood and bug resistant. 4in thick panels, they are sold in 2x2 squares have an r15 and fire proof. I had to do that years ago when i had to use my garage with no ac

1 Like

My water is 4-500 ppm and 7-8 ph. I use a 1/2 tsp citric acid per 5 gallon bucket. I’m using it indoor containers and outdoor. I also use gypsum and sulfur.

2 Likes

Ill have to look into that… Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

The fact that it’s got an hour per inch of thickness fire rating is nice to in case you have a bulb explode. There are lighter and thinner things out there but it’s pretty bad ass. At 8in thick it’s bullet proof lol

1 Like

What’s the gypsum and sulphur for?

The gypsum will break down into a sulfate and the sulfur is quicker. They help with the high ph water. The water is basically liming the medium every time I water.

1 Like

Well, after seeing the results of the outdoor, I may just do an outdoor grow during the hot summer months, and grow with DWC bubblers during the cool fall to spring months… I think its a sensible plan. Plus, I wont have to pay for AC. Running an AC unit 18 hours a day seriously racks up my electricity bill… I get “sticker shock” every time I rip open that their envelope! :scream:… Im sure many of you can relate.

Mine is 500 a month in the summer. Was 450 before adding my garden lol but my wife is home all day and my German shepherd gets grumpy if it’s too hot so mine runs constantly

1 Like

Yah, I hate using ph up or down… It really fucks with the roots! … Its virtually toxic… I didnt read that post til now… 8.0 is pretty damn high bro. Ya, in your case, it may be better to get an RO setup…

White roots=healthy ass high yielding plants! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Checked again.
110 through filter
47 without it.

2 Likes

About the same… Yah, Sometimes I wonder if its even worth $4000-$6,000 a year to grow… It adds up! The bud over in my region is dirt cheap… as low as 65 bucks a zip…We have more dispensaries than starbucks!! :laughing:

Damn… That is alot!.. What brand of ph down? And remember, … adjust the next day, Let the water and nutes do their thing, … then adjust accordingly. Maybe you got some weak stuff, or old??

I have tried all the ph up and down products on the market. This cyco stuff seems to be the very best. Its also very stable. You should be adding only drops per gallon.

2 Likes

Scary… I got the exact same sink setup like you… I better fire up the old trusty Growboss and see whats cookin’ … Gulp

If you want 0 ppm water cheap, use a zero water filter, you can get them at Walmart. I use them, the filters last a long time and my tap water is 47ppm. You even get a ppm meter with the filter to check when you need to change it.

4 Likes

The Orange stuff from general hydroponics.

GH, Ya, that stuff is the worst. lol. That explains everything. Please take my reccomendation and go with the cyco products. You’ll Thank me later. Good evening to you and yours :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A reverse osmosis system doesn’t have to be expensive to install or use. I bought a RO system from Homely Depot a few months back for $190 (Can) and added a permeate pump to the system for another $70 (Can). As installed, the system wasted a gallon of water for every gallon purified. Adding the pump put the efficiency up in the area of 15% waste water loss. The pump is driven by the waste water not hydro. The system doesn’t require any sort of electrical power at all.

1 Like

What system and pump?

PureDrop 5 Stage RO system and Aquatec ERP-1000 permeate pump .

Not the best system in the world, but for plant use it serves the purpose.

1 Like