RO (or other water filter) system buy/install help

Sure many of you have an R.O. system (or other filtration) installed. I’m looking for one to install under a small kitchen sink
This will be for both my plants & drinking water to replace 3 cases of deerpark a week.

I’ve noticed some of these systems come with their own faucet, I definitely don’t want that. Already have a very nice faucet lol

Any suggestions?

8 Likes

What’s an “R.O. system?”

1 Like

Do not drink RO water it is Stripped of all minerals it will not be cool.If you use it for plants your going to need Calmag.If you use untreated RO you wil strip your soil of nutes just a heads up.

4 Likes

My set up for my water is a clear 55 gallon plastic drum with a 6 inch airstone and a Ozone generator.I have the RO on the side but I’ve just started to bubble the water 247 and the spare outlets let you do another line for bubblingbteas at the same time and periodically run the ozone to break up that new chlorine shit they use I don’t run my RO as much I don’t have to dose as much Calmag with the tap water it’s got some calcium from the deposits in the lines RO unit is a smaller one for Aquariums it takes awhile to fill that drum 8 hours one reason I just do the tap water now

3 Likes

Reverse Osmosis, very pure water without minerals.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Of course. Thank you.

2 Likes

Yea I do not have room anywhere for a 55gal drum. My water sucks, so what other options exist?

1 Like

The Drum you don’t need if you can’t do it your going to be filling a 5 gallon up all the time at about an hour and a half to fill it up with the RO.The drinking water id drink for yourself no way around that unless you don’t mind tap.

2 Likes

Has anyone else found a “under sink” solution for both their plants & drinking water?

My tap water PH is 8.3, its high in sodium (120mg/liter) & has a strong chlorine smell.

Nice topic, I would have to say we are no different that our plants as they say you are what you eat and I think that would go for drink too! :sunglasses::peace_symbol:

1 Like

I have a similar setup to @CapnCannabis but use a 50gal brute bucket w/lid . There are options like you are looking for 100% I’m not too familiar with them though tbch I run a hydrologic stealth system myself and absolutely love it

2 Likes

Here’s the under-sink version of the one I use. Mine is a whole-house filter, but I’ve got three friends using the under-sink version and they’re quite happy with it. Two choose to buy bottled water from the store rather than getting their own filters, but are quite happy to drink filtered water when it’s available and save the bottles. They don’t drink much water in the first place, though.

1 Like

I use the same setup myself, works great. :+1:

2 Likes

Man that looks awesome, I wonder if it would reduce the sodium level of water? Its like 115mg per liter.

Then I just need to find out if I’ve got Chlorine or Chloramine. The water reports specifies “chlorination level” but doesn’t say which method is employed.

The site says this (can anyone translate?)
We use **sodium hypochlorite (bleach, NaOCl) **

So no one here drinks RO water eh?

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s standard chlorine treatment; the standard for chloramination is monochloramine, apparently. The article also mentions that chlorine tastes slightly stronger and more like bleach, which tracks with them using a bleach solution.

If you want to be 100% certain, you can look it up with your local water utility. The company I bought the filter from actually offered to look it up for me when I called them, as well, so that’s probably easier if you intend to order one. You could also ask them about reducing the sodium levels; they produce all kinds of filters up to and including RO systems, so they’ll know better than me.

1 Like

Yea that filter says it lasts 3-5 years that’s pretty incredible. Ask your friends if that’s been their experience. Seems worth the $200. I might just get that.

1 Like

I’d suggest a carbon filter in the sink if you want to drink cleaner water and if you have another water hookup elsewhere set up a RO with that. I have an RO hookup next to my tents in the basement and I just store all the water in a 15 gallon barrel since it takes up less room.

1 Like

We have RO and bacteriostatic filters on our sinks at work. After watching everyone drink out of those and ignoring my warnings, I’ve just installed a Brita system to keep them from the RO. I work with doctors and pharmacists… I’m the one with the arts degree lmao

1 Like

That shit will rot holes in your teeth I’ll bet the dentist loves them

Yikes. Ok so i need a seperate drinking filter. Got it.

So on my water, which is apparently soft water, 8.3ph with chlorine & 120mg sodium per liter.

You’re thinking just bubble out the chlorine & water it to my plants. Skip the RO system? I just use like Fox Farm soil & top dress dry ammendments.

Any suggestions on a brand of air-stone to put in a bucket?