Watering technique?

I use the lift method but usually I go by feel and my experience is my plants use about 1L of water a day in full bloom. Many variables obviously but this is what I’ve found.

4 Likes

Hi @GrouchyOldMan pardon my asking, are you ok with this device!? Has it been working for you!? Interested, seen it before… Thanks!!

2 Likes

@Foreigner in the 1 gallon pots!? Wow! Surprised! Thanks!

1 Like

Yes. The same holds for the same size plants in larger pots.

1 Like

Like alot are saying… this will help and you won’t need a scale… put dry soil in a pot that is identical… when it gets about that weight… put one in one hand and the other opposite hand… don’t water until they are similar… also you want to try to be watering every 2 days… otherwise ph and ppms get all out of wack… so remember try to feed what you think they will drink in one day… see how that goes. . Remember get a pot with the dry soil… helps with gaging it all @3rd_i … btw… that a TOOL reference??

2 Likes

Hi @Terpsnpurps but do you also consider the hypothetical weight of the plant!? Nice!! Doable!!

2 Likes

Well yes … I mean the overwatering is more a seedling issue… but as they get bigger obviously consider the weight of the plant… good catch @Abbbian !!! Thank you bro… also remember @3rd_i … i said similar for a reason… if you let it get identical weight it will be too dry and be damaged… so close but not same… good luck bro!!! And welcome to OG :green_heart:

2 Likes

Hi @Abbbian,
Not sure. If you mean the device pictured then, yes. It is a very reliable indicator of where those two dissimilar metal probes meet “conductivity” in the form of moist soil. That elemental reaction causes a tiny current to flow and that’s what the meter shows.

Not sure it that’s what you are askin, but yeah, good enough for this purpose. It reliably tells you where the soil gets “Damp.” If you stick your finger down to the same depth you can confirm.

They cost like $10 and they do this one, useful, job.

Make Sense?

1 Like

@GrouchyOldMan Indeed! It does make sense! Thanks!! I do the finger test already but part of my previous fatal flaws was overwatering, and this seems to hit it on the nail, as far as monitoring is concerned!! I’ll be considering it, surely!! Thanks!!

1 Like

Cool, Cheap and Useful.

I dug it out to figger OctoPot watering. Turns out that when you transplant into Octo, there’s a variable delay until, “The Roots Hit Da Rez.” I could track that junction pretty accurately at transplant time.

:v: :green_heart:
ps, pls ignore the pH and Light readings… nonsense!

1 Like

I use airpots so I water daily at lights on; watering from the top around the base of the plant in a ditch so there’s no side run-off. First I add a little solution to the soil and then wait a minute for it to permeate the mass; then I water hard to get the solution to push down through the medium for the appropriate level of run-off depending on the plant.

1 Like

I do the lift method, the plants will tell you when they are thirsty.

3 Likes

I’m using Pro-Mix HP myself @4ftfarmer so your advice is really helpful - thanks!

1 Like

Got it @Terpsnpurps makes sense in terms of the wanting it “incrementally” heavier compared to dry. The weighing thing I’ll pick up since I expect many more grows in the future!

2 Likes

Appreciate everyone’s feedback.

I actually have a tester for soil moisture @GrouchyOldMan so I’m glad it’s available as a tool to understand the moisture content of the plants.

But I see the utility of the lift method as described by @mainerJ, @Abbbian, @Scoobb and others here.

Plenty to think about and adopt to my own watering approach, but don’t overthink!

4 Likes

when my pots of indoor organic soil get very very dry – I water the shit out of them! Then i water them again :wink:

1 Like