This is technically my 3rd run with Greenleaf Nutrients 2 Part formula. I’ve finished one with decent results and I’m a few weeks into another run growing out a few larger plants. But this Growroom Diary will be show and tell from start to finish.
Today is day one of 12/12. I literally just finished getting them all set up in their bucket lid net pots.
Ebb & Flow into buckets with bucket lid net pots and hydroton. I start with 2 gallon buckets and “up pot” them to 3.5 gallon buckets when the roots reach the bottoms.
Light is an adjustable ballast and double ended HPS. I’m starting out at 600W, but will crank it up to 1000W after the temps drop a bit more - probably 3 or 4 weeks from now. The light is on a Light Rail.
I run CO2 at 1200PPM.
My water is RO, to which I always add 1 to 1.5 tsp/gal of Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus.
OK, so the first 2 pics show the reservoir after mixing Greenleaf Nutrients Part A, Part B & Bud Explosion into the water, to which I had already mixed in the CalMag. As you can see, it’s got millions of flakes or something floating around. I never had this experience before. Check out the pictures:
As I said, this is my 3rd run with GLN 2 Part and I’ve never had my nutrient water foul up like this. I suspect it’s because I measured out the 3 ingredients and dumped them into the water all at once. I was running a 600 GPH pump at the time to mix everything up, but it just never cleared up.
This reservoir full of cloudy, funky water concerned me enough that I sent GLN an email asking about it. The reply I got was to ask me what brand of Cal-Mag Plus did I use, and to say “Its probably just some small organic particles and nothing to really worry about”.
Organic particles? Their Part A, Part B and Bud Explosion look, feel and smell like pure chemicals. I think it was a chemical reaction from everything hitting and being mixed into the Cal-Mag prepped water.
Since the GLN person didn’t have any skin in the game, of course it wasn’t something THEY would worry about. I, however, dumped out and cleaned the reservoir. I added fresh RO water and set up my 1/4 hp 2400 GPH pump to mix up everything. I mixed in the CalMag, then Part A and let it mix for a while. Then Part B and let it mix for a while, then added the Bud Explosion. This is what I got:
Um, yeah - which would YOU rather trust your young plants with?
So, for the record, I mixed according to the label:
Part A: 2.5 gram/gallon
Part B: 2.5 gram/gallon
Bud Explosion: 1 gram/gallon
Now it’s time to add the plants!
Here’s what they look like after placing them in the net pots with the hydroton. As you can see, there are no roots hanging down, so I have to make sure the nutes reach far enough up that net pot to feed them properly.
And here you can see how high up the net pots I have the water when feeding.
After a few weeks, the roots are going to look like this, at which point, I’ll put them in the 3.5 gallon buckets. The larger buckets are the same circumference as a 5 gal bucket, so the lids will fit snug.
And here are the 10 GSCE. The 4 biggest are closest to the camera. I put them there so I can reach and manipulate them under the netting easier as they get bigger.
So away we go. I’ll post updates and answer questions. I provided as much detail as I thought necessary in case anyone wants to set up a similar system for themselves in the future.