WHAB’s 1924 Brick Schoolhouse RDWC

Me and mine too! We used to climb this tree 3 stories high before school. Now if someone else is willing to do a job that has to do with heights they can have it. I’ll do it but my brain don’t like it. Lol.

@ReikoX that sounds allot better then multiple time a day. Definitely be the way I would go.

1 Like

Wow!

I’m trying to read my plants and they’re just not happy. But, I can’t under-feed them AND over-feed them at the same time.

Man!

Thanks a bunch, @ReikoX tup,
WHAB

1 Like

Roots need water and oxygen. You may have to flood more often with the clay pebbles.

3 Likes

We used to take trips to Los Angeles just to see what buildings we could get to the roof of. At the time, there were many.

And, yeah, my brain just ain’t diggin’ it!

beercheer,
WHAB

1 Like

Yeah, I read a lot about it but when they present it as “you may need to flood and drain 9, 10 or even 15 times a day. You may need 1-2 flooding in the night”, that’s not really that helpful winky .

I was feeding 4 times a day, leaving the buckets full for 1 hour. They’re not happy. They are growing. They are filling out.

The leafs are not reaching for the light. The leafs are sagging 24 hours a day, it seems. That’s not right.

Much thanks, @ReikoX ! tup,
WHAB

Probably the first post in this thread captures just about everything about my setup:

1 Like

If you’re saying “may have to flood more often with clay pebbles” than you would if using:

The “may” should be “absolutely”.

2 Likes

Thank you, @Purple-N-Hairy ! I do sincerely appreciate the help!

You’ve got a great setup!

I have an question about your setup unrelated to feeding. May I hit you up?

fly2,
WHAB

2 Likes

Of course. Always!

2 Likes

Two questions, please.

You mentioned previously that you have your buckets up on a platform - 4 or 5 inches above the floor (I don’t recall exactly the number you posted).

1. Is your control bucket on the same plane as your buckets?
    1A) What are you using as a control bucket?

2. Where did you buy those netpots?

I am gearing up for upgrading my system - primarily for the opaque Black but also upsizing everything.

Thank you, @Purple-N-Hairy tup,
WHAB

2 Likes

No. The control bucket is ground level. You want to create elevation so your buckets will drain faster and more complete into the control bucket as it’s being pumped into the main reservoir. Also, when your drain cycle completes, you’ll find that some of the nutrient solution will still be slowly finding its way to the control bucket as the roots pack the buckets and slow down the drain rate. By having your control bucket on a lower level, you eliminate or greatly reduce the amount of nutrient solution that remains in the bottom of your buckets between feedings.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-13-Gal-White-Spring-Top-Wastebasket-FG5L5806WHT/311917568

I use these because I want a small footprint and a large container.

lol…coincidentally - also Home Depot…
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Viagrow-6-in-Mesh-Pot-Bucket-Lid-Insert-12-Pack-V6ML-12/301463756

4 Likes

Okay, I see now. You built your own reservoir, therefore you set the height of the Fill switch yourself.

That’s not possible with a store-bought reservoir like I have. The Fill switch is built-in. The Fill and Drain switches are pre-set.

With my Ebb&Gro controller, the fill/drain ports must be on the same plane for it to fill and drain properly.

And, as for the netpots. That’s what’s been throwing me off as I have been shopping for them. It is described as a 6 inch netpot in the title when it is really a 12 inch netpot with a net portion being 6 inches.

I am leaning towards making my own buckets BUT buying this 7-gallon controller bucket with what they’re referring to as a “Adjustable ladder level control lets you fill containers to the desired height” which will allow me to adjust for whatever bucket I’m using even if I have to buckets higher than the controller.

And, yeah…I was shopping for things just the other day and I noticed Home Depot has a Hydroponic gardening Hyperlink - a department devoted to the topic! biggrin

We’ve come a long way! biggrin party-smiley-048

Thanks so very much, @Purple-N-Hairy tup,
WHAB

4 Likes

For the record, I don’t use switches, I use digital timers to control the feed and drain pumps.

Edit: considering how much you seem to be building, I’m surprised that you bought an off-the-shelf reservoir with built in switches! :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Well, yes…but what determines the levels? Float switches, right?

confused2,
WHAB

2 Likes

Nope! The only float valve I have is in my RO reservoir tank. When I set up my grow buckets, I determined the time the feed pump takes to fill the buckets and the time it takes for the drain pump to empty the buckets and program the start and end times of both.

2 Likes

ROFLMAO

Yeah, It’s a system I bought used and got a great deal on it!

wink,
WHAB

2 Likes

Ah…that’s different! That’s an interesting way of doing things!

I’m about ready to pull the trigger on this one…primarily because of its adjustability according to the buckets one is using.

https://hydrobuilder.com/active-aqua-grow-flow-ebb-and-gro-controller-unit-w-2-pumps.html

That’s the best price I have found, btw…for anyone else looking in.

beercheer,
WHAB

2 Likes

Hey @WhiteHotAfterburner. Why not just go DWC? Seems a hell of allot more straight forward. You have the experience in hydro.
Just a thought.

1 Like

Because Ebb&Flow, Flood&Drain are systems I am used to. It’s just been so long that I don’t recall the particulars, like feeding schedules.

I know how to read a plant, generally speaking. This droopy leaf problem is one of a few things…winky

I really like the idea of those systems. Leaving plants sitting in liquid filled buckets just doesn’t sit right in my head. I am fully aware of the potential for serious trouble. Much like I am dealing with now frown

I fully understand that people are using DWC systems successfully.

Edit Add: I started out with one of these…

It didn’t go well. Heat and residual liquids sitting in the bucket was the cause.

Second Edit Add: The above is how I know how to look for algae buildup. The floaters and the odor. It’s also how I became acquainted with H020 regards to growing.

beercheer,
WHAB

2 Likes

I have to duck out for a bit.

I had planned to spend approx. 4 hours mowing the lawn but liquid sunshine has squashed those plans!

But, now I’ll switch to processing those fastener holes in the Cloning Machine II.

I do, sincerely, thank you ALL for the assistance and the discussion! tup

WHAB

2 Likes