What are these leaf spots?

I’m not too worried about this yet, but I would like to get an idea of what I’m dealing with so I can get ahead of it.

Purple Paonia paralyzer recently transplanted to supersoil. It is under a T5 ho. The temps have been high of 83, low of 66 at night. The humidity has ranged between a low of 32 and high of 74 at night (over the last 7 days). I wouldn’t worry at all, but the second picture is a newer leaf. They haven’t been misted recently, so I know it can’t be from the light.

6 Likes

Runoff pH test.

Burn holes/edges especially on older leaves often indicate high pH, and it doesn’t look like pest damage.

Problem seems mild, I wouldn’t worry unless it gets noticeably worse.

6 Likes

Have to agree with vernal. Looks like a pH issue.

1 Like

pH is a good bet but with you RH hitting 74% at night - might also be a mold infection.
I’d say hit it with some silica but I see you already did that with the DE LOL. :laughing:

I’d remove leaf blades that have been hit. If it is mold then that necrotic tissue can be a source for more spores. (belt and suspenders approach)

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I’ll see a high humidity point on my fan. What should I set it at? 70?

I don’t own a ph pen. I have been bottom watering. This is due to the DE top dress to kill the fungus gnat. I never really worried about watering to runoff either. My bil has a cheap ph pen from Amazon, that I’ve heard not good things about. Maybe I can start top watering again, since the gnats are gonna. I’ll remove the leaves for sure.

2 Likes

I’ve heard DE isn’t very soluble and the roots don’t uptake much of the silica. I’ve heard you have to ferment the DE for it to be soluble?
I’ve also seen mold, which I think is botrytis, do similar things to the leaves. Though, my guess as of now would be a PH issue.

2 Likes

as crisp as the cut off points are of said substance and there are ridge lines in the pattern that are not covered with the substance, so to me it looks almost like a smudge or blot of something touched it and lifted back off, maybe?

regards,

1 Like

For sure bro. I saw this on one plant mainly, and didn’t want to see it on more later.

I found similarities on 3 plants. All leaves are gone. I’m gonna add a high humidity setting at 70%.

Rocks dusts aren’t supposed to be that easy to break down either. I add those also. And just try to cater to my micro life, which will help break things down eventually.

I’ll probably take the one that had the most damage, and experiment. I’ll scratch the DE in the top laye a bit, and water till runoff. I have enough ph solution, I should be able to get a ph of the watering and runoff water. I’ll report back with that info.

They’ve been in and out a bit lately, and I don’t always treat them with kid gloves, so who knows. I can be an oaf. :rofl:

Thanks everyone, I know with yall helping, I’ll lick this crap quickly. Wow, that didn’t come out just right. Tony’s fault! :joy:

1 Like

Prob getting use to the ph, had a plant do that a little bit then grew fine.

1 Like

humidity in my room, i, personally try to keep under 57 percent. that’s just me, I am not sure what anyone or everyone else does.

regards,

1 Like

I can kick the humidity down to 60.

This is the very tail end of my rainwater too. It’s been around a minute. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I had a similar problem, my humidity is real high. I suspect it was some kind of mold, I just trimmed the leaves (as Gpaw suggests) and the plant now is fine. If it was a pH problem all the plant would be affected, which is not the case … beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

Ive also seen damage like that from root damage either from a rough transplant or rot in a DWC.

4 Likes