What is the ideal distance from canopy Gavita?

I’ve never been able to get rid of the gnats without using Gnatrol - organic bti product. Cheapest place to find it is ebay.

2 Likes

Love the grow, long time since i last did a full organic grow but the gnats really annoyed me so i went back to peat based compost. I like my lights slightly higher than a lot of folks, radiant heat stress can limit yield and you might not realize it’s happening. I used to hang a 600w hps bulb around 3 feet from tops in veg and no closer than 2.5 feet in bloom. I have downsized nowadays to a 400w and find it’s good at around 26 to 28". It also depends on ambient temperature so if your intake air is nice and cool you can hang lamps a bit closer.

1 Like

Haha word! Its basically like a giant seed, so the water has a lot of enzymes, and micros if i’m not mistaking. Got to go fresh, otherwise you are wasting your time. IMO

1 Like

Good looking out! I appreciate the insight. I will look into the effects of the soil life , worms, microbes, etc.

Edit: Just looked into it, and that is exactly what I have been looking for, a beneficial that targets the larvae. Thanks for the heads up!

The manual direct from the source, says:
750W
0.75 m - 30 in
1000W
1 m - 40 in

There you have it.

So I didn’t dig deep enough, before asking.

I just found the brochure/manual for the light I have here on Gavita’s site: Gavita Pro 6/750e DE FLEX | Gavita – Retail

To find yours: simply look for your model then go to brochures, and download the pdf manual.

I measured my distance and I am about 25-26 in. from the tallest cola, so 600w in my case will most likely be the optimal setting.

1 Like

Ideal distance can be plant/strain dependent too, some can take the heat and some just cant.

I still don’t understand how a sodium lamp can be turned down without changing the spectrum. My thinking is less energy = less heat = a shift towards the red end of the spectrum. Last year i tried running a 400w hps lamp at 250w and it seemed dimmer than a 250w lamp running at 250w.

I use a switchable digital ballast nowadays but i use the correct wattage lamp for the setting i’m using. Just to be on the safe side :grin:

1 Like

Good call, this is definitely true. Those genetics that have roots back to sunnier climates, i imagine would be more drought tolerant and heat resistant.

1 Like

They say in general that sativa dominant strains can take more heat, this may be true in nature but with indoor grows i think it’s more down to the individual plants because i have seen the reverse. Orange hill special develops pale upper leaves way before other strains i am also growing. A

1 Like

Day 29
(3) Rare Darkness & (1) Star Dawg (seff dawg) cut

5 Likes

Looking good there @miyagi

1 Like

Looking great! Looks like the distance you’ve decided on is working really well for you. Nice grow @miyagi

1 Like

& @Kalgrae Thanks a lot! They have stopped stretching and my last measure was roughly 24-25 in. from the closest cola. I turned up the wattage a few times but mainly have kept it at 600w as that seems to be right where it needs to be. Getting the right amount of light has been something that has been challenging for me in tent grows. When I had a few rooms, with larger ceilings , i never seemed to have an issue.

2 Likes

I’ve had similar issues with heat and had to resort to cooltubes in the end. Glad you got it sorted bro.

2 Likes