What is your favourite silicate product?

Some Silica techno…

GH Armor si PPM breakdown. (ML per gallon.)
5428ad7a0b90d9029f66ddf74ad4565424192a96_1_380x500

6 Likes

I have one question about dosing. The only product available to me has 8.5% k2o and 20% SiO2. That’s 1 / 2.4. Agsil16 has 1 / 1.6
I’m new to this, so I’m not sure … On build a soil I saw a recipe for agisil16. Should I take this as a reference amount for Si02? It will have less k2o.
I will take the opportunity to ask a few more questions.
I had few indoor grows, all on synthetic fertilizers, and this time I will try a different approach.
5 liter containers, commercial organic substrate (without added fertilizers, for seedlings and young plants), organic pack Sannies (mycorisae, bacto, buffer tablets).
I also have 200x aloe powder, Diamond grow fulvic (3%), already mentioned sillica and malted barley
Are there any suggestions on the use of barley, aloe / fulvic / silica. Can anyone tell me the ratios and frequency of applications.
Thanks
Spunk
Diamond grow fulvic
Sannies organic kit

AgSil 16H is 24.6% silicon with some extra K. 0.4 grams per gallon will bring you to almost 25ppm of Si. Use every time you feed and don’t go over 50ppm Si or you’ll run into issues with stability. Mix this in the res first. Adding AgSil will give you silicic acid in your res without breaking the bank. Power Si and other similar products are just stabilized solutions of AgSil at much higher ppms than 50 and cost an arm and a leg.

2 Likes

Does Agsil precipitate if you mix it with water and then stabilize the pH? I want to start using it again, but I can’t deal with the drift. It drives me nuts.

I use RecycleSil but haven’t had that issue. pH stays pretty stable and have only had issues with precipitate when I was mixing it in the wrong order or mixing it with too small of an amount of water. To save time I used to add it straight to the water while my res was filling but thinking back that was probably my issue. If I added 40gal worth of Si02 to like 5 gal while it was still filling I almost definitely went over the 50ppm causing the precipitate. So now I wait until the entire res is full before I add the first ingredient.

2 Likes

More techno. I’ve been following some of the advice from this write-up.

key snippet…
(not sure why partial grey background.)

I just use 1ml per gallon of ArmorSi. A bit more during early veg. Being in coco, I keep an eye on the K levels.

4 Likes

You get drift with potassium silicate? Mine holds rock steady (but I have almost 400ppm out the tap) what’s your source alkalinity like?

1 Like

Zilch, nada. Like 50ppm.

1 Like

Ah that tracks. We had about 100-ish in Denver. Pretty damn clean water. Good thing it’s easier to add alkalinity than remove it.

1 Like

Pro-tekt silica

3 Likes

Has info on how to mix silicate https://manicbotanix.com/silicon-in-hydroponics/

2 Likes

I actually buy 55gal barrel of KAsil #6 to sell at my shop. Its mix ratio is .41g of Kasil #6 to 1L of water to get 50ppm of SI.

2 Likes

Can’t buy GH armor Si in Canada anymore for some reason. Out of stock at all the hydro stores in my area and online. Seems to still be available in the states?

Picking up some of the raw npk stuff to try

2 Likes

Grab a bottle of Pro-tekt silica from Dynagro

1 Like

Been there done that and I totally had problems with it settling and causing problems. Never had that with Armor Si and sure didn’t have to take hours to add it into the solution.
Now using Grotek and it’s working so far without any settling problems.

2 Likes

I might just import another gallon or two of armor Si already and take the hit on shipping. Let me know if you want any. Same province.

Bothers me that I’m not going to have matching bottles :rofl:

1 Like

It looks to me like armor Si is another of many products that are just concentrated forms of ksil (potassium silicate) If you have to import anything from the USA I would recommend looking into Agsil 16h as it is much cheaper and pretty much the same thing. It will last much longer. I would have otherwise recommended recycle sil but they doubled their prices fairly recently so when I am through my massive 25lb bag I’ll be switching to ksil myself for price reasons. I had to pay a ton to have it shipped to Canada but in the end it was worth it to have years of SI.

Customhydro is a great usa supplier, personally wish there was one on this side of the border. http://customhydronutrients.com/potassium-silicate-fertilizer-c-1_60_68/potassium-silicate-32-k2o-528-sio2-dry-powder-4-pounds-p-131.html

4 Likes

So I have tried many silica products, and nothing even comes close to Aptus facilitator. They use Silicic acid, which has immediate bioavailability for the plant. Everything else I have used is like bonemeal, you have to wait for it to break down. You can find a gallon for about 800$(2000gallons)… I know its pricey, but the results are unbelievable! It’s by far, hands down the best silica product I have used!!

Welcome to the forums. Here’s a couple of things you might find interesting:

A lab test of aptus fasilitor

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRs3nT5DUaX/

2 Likes