What ratios would you end up with pollinating CBD with THC?

I was wondering if the bright minds of OG could help me with this.

Let’s say I had a high CBD strain Charlottes Angel by DP and wanted to pollinate it with say Purple Lemonade by FB.
Both would be fem autos.

What ratio would the cross come out as CBD:THC?

Would it be 1:1?

1 Like

https://www2.palomar.edu/anthro/mendel/mendel_2.htm

3 Likes

So after reading that seems to me there’s n real answer and unless you test the flower from those results you wouldn’t really know the outcome right? Sorry I find it hard to comprehend things sometimes.

It’s impossible for me to get anything tested

1 Like

Read about dominant vs. recessive traits. Not impossible but takes a lot of work. If you want to target particular CBD:THC ratio, testing would be necessary.

3 Likes

There’s good info on dominant/ recessive traits out there. It can be confusing. Robert Clarke wrote a book on breeding you may enjoy. I was thinking of breeding cbd plants with thc plants myself. I then learned of landrace varieties that already possess the ratio I was looking for (1:1) and decided to look at them first. Good luck to you!

3 Likes

you likely need access to testing if you’re wanting to breed for CBD since you can’t really gauge CBD content by affect

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies guy apprecaite it. Looks like this would be a no go project for me with testing involved.

I was hoping that I could get some interesting mixes going but at the same time also have meds. I don’t have the room to do something on that scale or even a smallish scale really, and most certainly can’t get it tested.

Was a good idea while it lasted :laughing:

1 Like

You can try one of these at home tests.

4 Likes

Looks like another company here too, you will need a little lab equipment too. Might be worth it if you plan on breeding.

2 Likes

These are definitely great options, but I wasn’t planning on breeding per se but more just to cross a couple of different thc strains that aren’t getting crossed to cbd yet and that was just about it for meds to see if there were some better results med wise.

I only, at the moment have room for one maybe 2 plants which end up as meds for two people so can’t really do all the experimentation unfortunately

I think I was looking for it to be a simple answer but it isn’t and thats ok maybe something to look at doing in the future or just leave it up to the breeders :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Potency is a low-heritability polygenic trait, meaning you can throw your Mendelian theories out the window. The only way to know for sure, and then stabilize for the ratios you want is to grow large lots of many separate lines, say THC ♀️1, 2, 3 and 4 crossed to CBD ♂️A, B, C, etc.

You would then take the various female/male combinations (1234 x ABCD, respectively), grow them out and look for trends in large populations. Potency and cannabinoid ratios are affected by the environment and other outside conditions. Which is why retesting these populations would be necessary, as well.

A lot of work goes into locking down these types of genetic packages.

Then when we start talking about the way that cannabis “stacks” genes over generations and then things get more complicated. This is the phenomenon at work when a plant shows various phenotypic expressions based on growing conditions, certain gene pairs “turn on” when the right external conditions are met.

EDIT: It may even be necessary to do an F2 cross of each line to search for extreme outliers in the segregating generation before any meaningful progress is made with regard to increasing specific compounds and decreasing others. Transgressive Segregation can boost traits in the progeny beyond that of either of the parents.

5 Likes

I love outliers…Im a outlier and there are lots here also. Outliers were growing weed before it was cool. We were the ones risking our asses long before it was legal…some still are risking their asses. Thats a outlier

2 Likes

This one seems affordable… probably not that precise.

5 Likes

Came here to say this, and you already have. Much more eloquently than I would have, as well. Lmfao.

3 Likes

:+1: too many alleles involved to be able to predict, or use dominant/recessive.

Best option imo is to break out the TLC plates and use them as a guide. Then inbreed based on the results of testing and qualitative effects from a patient or patients in a testing group.

4 Likes

This is similar to a method I’ve wanted to try for years. It would be great to help with selection of Keeper CBD plants for medical or breeding purposes.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about this unit about six months ago but reviews claim it “smells” the terp sample and compares it to their online database and not a true tester by any means the company also claimed other addons in the pipeline around 2016 or so and they have gone nowhere with them.

I guess a handheld tester is still too Star Trek and wishful thinking but let’s hope the legalized country’s and states spurs development of a testing device for the home and small scale growers.

3 Likes

If you cross a THC dominant plant to a CBD dominant plant, you will end up with intermediate (type 2) progeny. This will generally be a 1:1-ish ratio, though usually CBD is slightly prefered. If you take that out another generation, you will have a segregating population of Type 1 (THC dom), Type 2 (mixed THC:CBD) and Type 3 (CBD dom) plants.

The precise ratios of each can vary a lot. It primarily depends on what enzymes are coded for and expressed at the “B locus.” THCAS and CBDAS are actually not at the same location, but are tightly linked. What combination of variants of these enzymes (and the unlinked CBCAS) are expressed, and how much off-target cannabinoid production they also make (CBDAS has been shown to make some THC from CBG in vitro) determines the precise ratio.

If all you want is some mid ratio plants to try as meds, do it. It really isn’t that complicated.

2 Likes

If you only have room for a couple plants, I’d grab some Dinafem CBD seeds.

They have the Dinalab where they use gas chromatography through the breeding process until 95+% of the resulting plants match the desired ratio.

Based on what I’ve read, most of the breeders in Spain that do CBD strains pay to use the Dinalab for their own strain development.

Dinafem has many different CBD ratios available and are a personal favorite breeder of mine for any type of feminized strain. For me their strains always come close to the description in aromas and effects and plant morphology.

I’ve run their Dinamed CBD plus which is a 1:20, and their Cheese CBD which is a 1:1. I’m currently finishing their Amnesia CBD, and will start a Gorilla CBD after that (which is a 1:2). I didn’t lab test results, but both CBD strains I’ve tried match my experience with dispensary strains that were lab tested with similar ratios. At least a few people on autoflower.net have paid for lab tests of Dinafem stuff and it comes out very close to what is advertised.

I ran their OJ and Purps also and was happy with those as well.

Anyways, if you only have room for 2 plants I’d do feminized, and if you want feminized CBD strains, I’d recommend Dinafem.

Good luck :+1:

1 Like

If all you want is a 1:1, you dont need to test. The first generation of your cross will do it.

1 Like