What size clones do you take?

Ive found larger clones root easier but i can only fit a few under the humidity dome. if i run 6 cells, i have to take much smaller clones but i can fit a shit ton under the dome. they take forever to root though. i still like the little clones, theyre more reliable for me only because i dont have a whole lot of veg space so i can take more duplicates.

anyone else take clones sub 3" or so? i usually take them about 3" then trim the bottom and any side branches

2 Likes

I always take small clones. 72 to a tray. Definitely under 3 inches. I have the exact opposite experience. For me larger clones take longer than small ones

2 Likes

I have the same beliefs small cuts root fastet

2 Likes

oh interesting. its time to take objective measurements! i definitely do see a benefit from larger clones but smaller clones work so much better for me in the 72 cell. i have an aerocloner as well but its mostly filled with garden stuff im trying to propagate. i use coir if that matters, but i doubt it does

1 Like

3 to 6 inches is good

2 Likes

I like to cut under the 3rd node and take both leaves off the same node, dip in rooting compound, put in a moistened rapid rooter type plug, put it under the humidity dome for a week or so and pull it out and transplant it.

And then do the whole process all over again.

1 Like

I take small clones but I like to leave some lower leaves for them to eat if needed.

2 Likes

From 2" to 10" depending on situation…

Pheno hunts, I take the smallest clones to save space.

SOG I take the biggest clones I can to save the week or two of veg.

:+1:

6 Likes

Always 3.5". Bubble cloner. How fast they root depends on a few things but I always get roots.
For fun I rooted a cutting less than an inch long once.

6 Likes

I posted a pic of my one inch clone in the thread above I believe. It was that thread that made me want to do it. :grinning:

1 Like

Two nodes.

for a tiny clone, that thing has a ton of foliage.

glad there is a consensus that small clones arent all that awful. they do require an extra week or two to get up to size than if i just took a more reasonably sized cut to begin with. the extra time is worth it to me since i can both get more cuts in a tiny space, and can give them a quick pest treatment as needed. my cleanliness needs improving, i have had pest outbreaks where it was easier to just take a bunch of cuts, treat those just before doming for a couple weeks, then went back to the tent and decimated everything. tiny cuts let me back everything i want up in a small space and have enough duplicates i can confidently toss everything i need from the tent and wipe things down appropriately

Ive always made my clones 1-2 inch, no matter how tall they where when i cut em. Ive tried taller clones but they didnt root as fast, dont know why though. I think large clones is better if you want to give it someone, since smaller once tend to be more fragile.